DoE: Foreigners with work permits have a right to Covid-19 vax

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath quoted the director of the Department of Employment Phairot Chotiksathien as saying that all foreign workers legally in Thailand with work permits are entitled to get a Covid-19 vaccination.

This is under prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha's plan to ensure that 50 million people or 70% of the population are vaccinated by the end of this year.

Those desirous of vaccination can do the following:

1. If you are in the social security system (Standard 33) you can tell your employee or place of work who will apply on your behalf. You will be informed of your vaccine date via your employer.

2. If not in the social security system you can apply for a vaccine of choice to a vaccine center yourself.

All vaccines are organized through the Ministry of Public Health, said the director.

Any questions please call 1506 x7 from 8am to 5pm except public holidays. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

Stating the obvious is a preferred pass time in this country as several hospitals now either give them for free or charge modest amount to get on their waiting lists and you can get Pfizer and Moderna with no issues...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Stating the obvious is a preferred pass time in this country as several hospitals now either give them for free or charge modest amount to get on their waiting lists and you can get Pfizer and Moderna with no issues...

there is no moderna in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Clearly you fall into the old and sick category as you've lost your marbles. Getting a shot over 60 and over or with certain disease is dead easy. It's being under 60 where it becomes - at least in the north, near on impossible to get a shot. 

No just lost my marbles - what ever they are

Young must wait....

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath quoted the director of the Department of Employment Phairot Chotiksathien as saying that all foreign workers legally in Thailand with work permits are entitled to get a Covid-19 vaccination.

Amazing safe trusted Thailand.

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Everyone else. Got a wife and child? You are not important. Retired? You are not important. This govt is a joke!

Only when Thai people are rejected around the world due to their governments inaction will the situation be taken seriously.

If there are no consequences to their actions then they will continue without a care in the world - as we can see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Quite different to the UK's position of "We won't ask you any questions, just come and get vaccinated, we want everyone vaccinated for the good of society", more like "Fine, if we absolutely have to vaccinate foreign people because they live in Thailand and are working hard to the benefit of Thailand and Thai people, as long as you are completely legal we will reluctantly give you a vaccine, eventually".

They really should be just allowing foreign people to register with their passport, check their identity when they come to the vaccine centre, then give them the vaccine".  It really shouldn't matter about their immigration status, no one is doing vaccine tourism in Thailand and it benefits everyone to get as many people vaccinated as soon as possible.

Most foreigners are willing to pay, so it's not like they even need to worry about the cost.  Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to pay a few thousand Baht and show their passport to get a vaccine?  No real excuse other than not wanting to give foreign people vaccines.

… I agree….: I also tend to think one of the the reasons why Thailand (and I’ll bet it’s not just Thailand that uses this same language) states the situation as “… all foreign workers legally in Thailand …” is to be careful not to tacitly condone those who may be here ILLEgally (ie not with proper government permit) and their access to services that are, in part, funded via the collection of taxes via regulated social activity (ex: income taxes) 

I agree with those who say that the virus doesn’t distinguish between a legal/documented versus illegal/undocumented person… and I think from only a public health perspective, it makes little sense to distinguish between the two… but.. as I’ve long said, rightly or wrongly, EVERY action the government takes, has a political price to paid, political  risk incurred and impacts the optics and narrative that the government is always trying to maintain.

So, I’ll bet the inclusion of the qualifier “legally” is in large part to satisfy/placate those who are strongly positioned on the larger immigration subject and all the smaller associated issues. 

20 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Most foreigners are willing to pay, so it's not like they even need to worry about the cost.  Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to pay a few thousand Baht and show their passport to get a vaccine?

Maybe quite a few thousand migrant workers who are classed as foreigners yes... they may find a few thousand baht a bit of a struggle.

23 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Everyone else. Got a wife and child? You are not important. Retired? You are not important. This govt is a joke!

The people with WP are not important too. They just chose them out of the blue to have something silly to say.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

"foreign workers"

Again youngsters over the old and sick (including Thais)

Why not? Those who are working and supporting the economy should also be vaccinated. I can't understand why those with one foot in the grave should be given priority. It's not as if they are first responders.

Edited by djayz

20 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Clearly you fall into the old and sick category as you've lost your marbles. Getting a shot over 60 and over or with certain disease is dead easy. It's being under 60 where it becomes - at least in the north, near on impossible to get a shot. 

Not just out in the sticks. I'm in Bangkok, under 60 and have no underlying health issues and am still waiting for my shot. 

56 minutes ago, djayz said:

Why not? Those who are working and supporting the economy should also be vaccinated. I can't understand why those with one foot in the grave should be given priority. It's not as if they are first responders.

Fair enough - I understand your point - correct me if O am wrong but you seem to be saying let the old die as there lives are no longer useful?

26 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

Fair enough - I understand your point - correct me if O am wrong but you seem to be saying let the old die as there lives are no longer useful?

On the contrary. I'm saying we are all equal, young and old, Thais and foreigners. After those who are most at risk, e.g. medical staff, have been vaccinated, then the rest of the population should be vaccinated without categories, rules, priorities. 

Regarding your comment about letting the old die. I am in two minds about that. On the one hand, we younger people owe them so much. Without them we wouldn't have the standard of living, freedoms, rights, etc.  we enjoy and take for granted. On the other hand, it does seem like a waste to be vaccinating those who only have a few years left anyways. 

Do we take the moral high ground or be practical?