Go with flow or goal setting

Sparktrader

1 hour ago, starky said:

Buying a Harley is a goal. Not doing what your friends were doing is a goal. Choosing not to have the classic 9-5 and 2 1/4 children is maybe not a goal but it's certainly something you aspired to. 

Having goals doesn't make you a square head or locked into some boring existence. The most adventurous people in the world had goals to go places, do things and see sights that no one had ever experienced before. 

The David Goggins, Jocko Wilinks and their ilk done more kickin and screaming then you will ever pretend to do 

How did you learn so much about what I did in my life ?

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is one of my favorite stories about those goals in life:

Google: Mexican fisherman and investment banker

Here is one of the many versions: The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman and the Banker | by Jonathan Verhaeghe | Medium

Good story, but different requirement if you are not starting out where you wish to end up. 

11 hours ago, starky said:

I guess once you hit a certain age apparently there is no point in setting any goals if that's true you might as well just curl up and die.

That reminds me of a preamble in a book (sorry I don't remember which one). It was something like: You can't make love to all women in this world. But at least you should try.

25 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Good story, but different requirement if you are not starting out where you wish to end up. 

I think I read that story the first time in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" "Begin with the end in mind."

And I think that is very good advice.

I knew too many people who worked hard their whole life and then at the end they die with lots of money which then often goes to a family which they didn't like much. Something went wrong somewhere on that way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of a preamble in a book (sorry I don't remember which one). It was something like: You can't make love to all women in this world. But at least you should try.

Exactly ???? seems people in this thread are confusing goals with some convoluted idea of what "success" should be. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I read that story the first time in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" "Begin with the end in mind."

And I think that is very good advice.

I knew too many people who worked hard their whole life and then at the end they die with lots of money which then often goes to a family which they didn't like much. Something went wrong somewhere on that way.

Change the will!

• Like 1

For older folks maybe goals are less important, but if you're younger......

......5 year plan goals set 100% 

Seen too many younger guys, by this I mean 30s and 40s, drift through life in Thailand without any apparent aims. Okay for a few years maybe, but not when you wake up at 50 and it's all too late to have the wherewithal to do anything. 

It's good to have some get up and go about you and not be afraid of some hard work to make your dreams come true.

• Like 1

I agree, we all need goals and they don't have to be big, but people need focal points to achieve results. I don't think of 5 year goals though, I think I would rather look at long term goals (my substitute for 5 years) and the goals we set ourselves to get through daily life. 

I think that most people do some goal setting but don't refer to it as such because everytime we set out to do something or achieve something we have automatically set a goal in order to achieve an outcome.

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

goals, choices, have all been fluid to me as my life changes and I change so do my wants and goals... 

Nobody said your goals have to be the same for your whole life. Like:

Today my goal is that I want to see Ni

Tomorrow Nit is my goal.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, Sparktrader said:

Which do you do and hows it all going?

Do you have a 5 year plan?

Or is goal setting a big crock of <deleted>?

I have a 5 year, 10 year and 15 year plan.  They all revolve around crypto investing and starting new businesses.

I have 2 new businesses I am starting this year and one that I plan to start next year.  I also have a couple of projects that I suppose could also be considered as businesses, one involving NFTs; and one which is a large scale charity project which I won't make any money from but the objective is to network with HiSo Thais, the Government and the Military.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I have a 5 year, 10 year and 15 year plan.  They all revolve around crypto investing and starting new businesses.

I have 2 new businesses I am starting this year and one that I plan to start next year.  I also have a couple of projects that I suppose could also be considered as businesses, one involving NFTs; and one which is a large scale charity project which I won't make any money from but the objective is to network with HiSo Thais, the Government and the Military.

This obviously brings up the question: What could possibly go wrong? ???? 

After your post I am inspired to think about how I will donate at least half of my money like Bill Gates and others did. So many difficult decisions and so little time. 

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Nobody said your goals have to be the same for your whole life. Like:

Today my goal is that I want to see Ni

Tomorrow Nit is my goal.

why don't you see them both today at the same time? you can have some extra time to make new goals.

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This obviously brings up the question: What could possibly go wrong? ???? 

After your post I am inspired to think about how I will donate at least half of my money like Bill Gates and others did. So many difficult decisions and so little time. 

Epstein

• Like 1
  • Haha 1