Thailand could see 500,000 more infections if the country rushes reopening

webfact

5 hours ago, smedly said:

what, like sinovac ?

people on here have been saying this for weeks yet they still keep buying millions of doses

Chinese-made vaccines not effective against Delta variant after one dose - Thailand News - ASEAN NOW formerly Thai Visa Forum

Look at the covid infection rate and deaths in the US and compare with China where only Sinovac is used. Its a no brainer, whether you like it or not. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Anton9 said:

There's literally 1 doctor a day taking the spotlight saying something different.

Would be interesting to keep a record of all the wrong predicitions been made by doctors since January 2020.

Puts a whole new light on the saying TRUST ME I'M A DOCTOR!!!

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

Cases don't matter. These can be false positives, infections in people who don't even notice, infections in people who aren't seriously ill.

They should only be allowed to report deaths and serious illness and this news must be balanced against suicides and other costs of lock downs.

People who feel vulnerable can be given the option to isolate. Some vulnerable people may choose to live a free life over hiding at home and seeing the country suffer.

A "lockdown" in perpetuity isn't the answer, but opening everything up (the "whatever will be will be" method) is a surefire way to absolutely destroy the country. That's how you get what happened in India, how you get deaths beyond comprehension, and how you ensure that there's no tourism well into next year.

The US reopened without restrictions with a fully vaccinated rate that's exponentially higher than in Thailand (which included vaccines that actually have success against Delta), and thanks to the unvaccinated, it became a nightmare in a matter of weeks.

We all want things back to normal, but you don't take a few days of lowered cases (with deaths still high) and just throw in the towel. If they go down that route, I promise you, there won't be much of a country left for tourists to visit when things eventually calm down enough.

The vaccination numbers are finally at a positive level.  Keep it up for another month or two (where if there was any sort of competent government, they'd pay people to stay closed), SLOWLY remove the restrictions, and hopefully things can begin to truly reopen in time for the season

Or you can ignore science and reality, pretend that there aren't many serious cases and just say "to hell with people who are dying, I need the bars to be open!"

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

Look at the covid infection rate and deaths in the US and compare with China where only Sinovac is used. Its a no brainer, whether you like it or not. 

are you seriously comparing the US and China ?, why not throw in N Korea to really enforce your argument .................................... OMG

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d suggest that the evidence is already there when you look around the world. But I doubt you believe that either. The deniers and unvaxed are prolonging the pandemic and filling the hospital beds .

You are blaming unvaxed people in Thailand for prolonging the pandemic?   That’s quite the unique take on things considering the shortage of vaccines here.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

Hilarious, they're going to see 500k new infections regardless of whether the country reopens or not.

It's just a matter of how long it takes to get to that number.

People will only come if things are opened up, they might as well not bother if there's still lockdowns in place.

Nothing will stop the rising infection numbers.

What does the "Vaccine" do?

It doesn't stop infection or transmission.

They hope if infected, the symptoms will be less severe and no need to go to the hospital or death.

This is not like the vaccines that we had before, after vaccination, the immune system killed off all the virus material that was injected but learned about it and made antibodies if you came into contact with that virus again.

Covid is a flue type virus and we have had to learn to live with the flu.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another alternative is to spend some of Thailand's alleged billions in foreign reserves to assist struggling industries as, for example, the UK has done. But then, the UK government cares about people's welfare. Thailand's doesn't.

If the UK genuinely cares about peoples welfare, then why do they keep allowing all the illegals and "asylum seekers"  to keep arriving in their dingys every day from France and use their peoples tax money to keep them in hotels, and feed them etc? Also, allow thousands of their OAPs to die of cold related illnesses every winter because they cannot afford to pay extortionate electric bills to heat their homes on about the lowest pensions in Europe?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tandor said:

....statistics are all wrong..no country has recorded 7,500 deaths per 500,000 infections..more like 2%...come on Mr. Reporter...get it right.

Be very careful about criticizing the content of webfact or any ASEANnow authored reports. I did and got suspended.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, LongTimeLurker66 said:

Cases don't matter. These can be false positives, infections in people who don't even notice, infections in people who aren't seriously ill.

They should only be allowed to report deaths and serious illness and this news must be balanced against suicides and other costs of lock downs.

People who feel vulnerable can be given the option to isolate. Some vulnerable people may choose to live a free life over hiding at home and seeing the country suffer.

Exactly. I've been banging that drum for over a year - the word "cases" is misused all over the world. It should, IMO, only be used to describe sick people: the rest should be described as "infected people".

Of course that's only helpful when everyone is offered vaccination - when that happens, the number of "infected people" is largely irrelevant.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, Cake Monster said:

The real problem will possibly not come from" Sandboxers " if the Country reopens.

The major threat will come from the Thousands ( 470+ K ) Foreign workers that Thailand is proposing are allowed to renter the Country due to a massive labour shortage in all kinds of Industrial Sectors from Food, to Farming to Construction.

Who will Police the movements of these Workers once they are in the Country, and that will just be the legal ones that entered.

The flood gates will be opened wide again for illegal entry, and Thailand has proved time and again, that they are not capable of sealing their porous Borders.

Along with these legal and illegal workers will come many who are unvaccinated, and possibly infected

A disaster waiting to start me thinks, and wave 4 of the virus will soon start.

I should just get a job carrying  bricks…then pay for the privilege of sitting in quarantine 14 days whilst being FULLY vaccinated along with endless covid tests.  Bring back the 7 day quarantine for vaccinated. It was cancelled on 29 May because of fear of  incoming were bring the variant.  See how that turned out.  Migrant/markets were the super spreaders.   .

Edited by Bkktodd
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Opposite ends of the scale;  Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. The other, President Jair Bolsonaro. Both have their critics and supporters. 

Both are getting their countries vaccinated 

9 hours ago, James105 said:

You are blaming unvaxed people in Thailand for prolonging the pandemic?   That’s quite the unique take on things considering the shortage of vaccines here.  

Spot on.     Playbook from USA… unvaxed are 80% of those showing up in hospital with severe covid. Unlike in the USA were getting vaccinated is now very easy and many selfishly dont choose to; Thailand has many begging for their vaccines and life back.  

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, James105 said:

Of course I wasn’t talking about Thailand. Nowhere in my post did I mention Thailand.

Edited by Fairynuff

49 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Spot on.     Playbook from USA… unvaxed are 80% of those showing up in hospital with severe covid. Unlike in the USA were getting vaccinated is now very easy and many selfishly dont choose to; Thailand has many begging for their vaccines and life back.  

No those numbers are BS. Here the CDC admit that they just don't count breakthrough infections unless the person gets hospitalized or dies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9566619/CDC-stopped-counting-breakthrough-Covid-infection-fully-vaccinated-people.html

Edited by LongTimeLurker66
o

12 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

This article says that unemployment was 1.06 percent in the first quarter and if not opened it might go to 2.5 percent by the end of the year?

anywhere else those figures would indicate an overheated booming economy?

There must be something that I don't understand?

In a country without any form of organised social security if you don't work you don't eat, so everyone has to do something, even if it's only collecting empty bottles and cans. Pre covid it was noticeable how many people were out and about doing something at all times of the night or day.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 3:18 AM, zzzzz said:

why? as far as the sandbox goes, its not the vaccinated, tested new international arrivals that are feeding the outbreak and rises of positive cases in Phuket

Its the local thai's an burmese migrants

Opening up plan (which has nto been mentioned in quite a while...) did not include requirement for vaccination

Announcements like these are more often than not staged

Could be the govt paving the way for not opening up in October as previously discussed