Removing a tree stump.

james.d

We have a tree stump in the garden and it's going to start pulling up the decking.

I was going to order potassium nitrate (KNO3) in Lazada but the seller said it won't kill the stump.

Anyone with more knowledge than me know what chemical to kill a tree stump available via Lazada or for sale in Bangkok?

Thank you 

• Like 1

This is how i got rid of my mango tree. Dug around the stump base. Got Somchai to cut stump below soil level with chainsaw and then covered with soil. No poisons and all done in an hour.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

This is how i got rid of my mango tree. Dug around the stump base. Got Somchai to cut stump below soil level with chainsaw and then covered with soil. No poisons and all done in an hour.

Thanks a lot, but my decking is raised so l can't get down to the ground level.

40 years ago I used a chemical to help tree stumps rot more rapidly but this was toxic, no longer available, maybe here? I take it the tree is no longer producing growth? 

All I can suggest is boring large holes or even use a chainsaw to make holes, and pour Potassium nitrate in.

Even so, it will take some years, so you might as well stick a plant pot on it for now.,

• Thanks 1

We planted a lot of trees, big mistake they grow big have to be cut down and the stump removed.

I drill many holes into the stump using the big chisel type wood bits, they are cheap and about one inch across the blade. 

Drill close together then force or hammer a crow bar between the holes effectively joining two holes together and levering out large chunks of wood,  start at the edges and lever out with a crowbar.

Any roots just under the surface can be cut with an axe and levered out with the crowbar.

I have also used  this method,  drilling holes as above then soaking it with cooking oil and setting lighted BBQ coals on it so it slowly burns down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cooked said:

40 years ago I used a chemical to help tree stumps rot more rapidly but this was toxic, no longer available, maybe here? I take it the tree is no longer producing growth? 

All I can suggest is boring large holes or even use a chainsaw to make holes, and pour Potassium nitrate in.

Even so, it will take some years, so you might as well stick a plant pot on it for now.,

The tree was cut down but it seems the stump is growing and pushing against the deck.

I just try some potassium nitrate.

Thanks.

A photo would help , and I can not see you doing anything unless some of the decking is  removed we do not know how big the tree stump  is and what tree it is ,is they another tree nearby ,or an strong anchor point ,if so dig around the stump and use a chain hoist to pull it out  a 2 ton hoist should do the job ,where to find a chain hoist ,ask your local backstreet  car repair man ,he will have one .

As cooked said it will take a few years to rot out using chemicals ,and copper nails will not work. 

Drill 3/4” or 1” holes and pour in glyphosate (it’s the ingredient used in a product called Roundup…not available here any more)!….it won’t damage anything else but it will kill the stump quickly but even more importantly it will kill the roots quickly and stop it from growing and doing further damage to your deck 180 baht!
Then hire a man for 400 baht a day plus tip to dig the stump out by hand!

Some trees have a huge network of roots and they can pop up anywhere in your garden so you need to make sure you kill them with the glyphosate “before” you remove the stump!

Diesel fuel in the drilled holes will also work but the smell lasts forever! 

Give it a couple of weeks to take the poison into the root system before you dig out the stump!

Don’t waste your time with “green products”….they don’t work or take forever as do copper nails!

potassium nitrate poured into holes drilled into the stump should accelerate rotting of the stump.  If you see any re-sprouting, you can spray on a bit of broadleaf weed killer or simply snip off new sprouts as soon as they emerge.  Just keep at it. 

How large is the tree stump?

I've hired an excavator to completely rip out a trunk and its roots.

They can run 1000 baht an hour or more.  Usually a 2 hour minimum.

They can make quick work of the problem.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

Its good to avoid any toxic chemical.  Any residue can sleep underground and enter your water supply if you have an underground pump/well system.

Yes, glyphosate would be my product of choice but with considerations. It can and will translocate thought root grafts into nearby trees, so use with caution.  And no need to drill holes. re-cut the stump surface if possible and paint or spray the outer circumference (cambium growing layer and sapwood) with a 20-25% active ingredient solution (48% glyphosate diluted with equal part water).  Don't waste drilling or spraying the interior inactive heartwood. Only the outer circumference can absorb and translocate the chemistry. 

If there is no access to re-cut the stump, then spray the foliage that is sprouting from the stump. This may take repeated applications until the stump no longer resprouts. 

If you can't get to the stump to spray it all the way around, then maybe reach under the deck with a pole saw and cut off the sprouts. Repeat this until it no longer re-sprouts.  

If none of this is possible due to tight access restrictions, then follow the other advisors in removing the deck surface for access. 

4 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Yes, glyphosate would be my product of choice but with considerations. It can and will translocate thought root grafts into nearby trees, so use with caution.  And no need to drill holes. re-cut the stump surface if possible and paint or spray the outer circumference (cambium growing layer and sapwood) with a 20-25% active ingredient solution (48% glyphosate diluted with equal part water).  Don't waste drilling or spraying the interior inactive heartwood. Only the outer circumference can absorb and translocate the chemistry. 

If there is no access to re-cut the stump, then spray the foliage that is sprouting from the stump. This may take repeated applications until the stump no longer resprouts. 

If you can't get to the stump to spray it all the way around, then maybe reach under the deck with a pole saw and cut off the sprouts. Repeat this until it no longer re-sprouts.  

If none of this is possible due to tight access restrictions, then follow the other advisors in removing the deck surface for access. 

FYI, worth the mention, there is another chemical herbicide that is highly effective and doesn't require a fresh cut for absorption. But I haven't seen it in Thailand.   In managing a highly researched cut-stump treatment program for a large public utilities company, besides the glyphosate, I have also used Garlon 4 Ultra (Triclopyr-ester).  This can be sprayed on the bark of the lower stump and root collar for penetration through the bark to kill the growing layer, best with a surfactant like MSO methylated seed oil or diesel oil (yes smelly). 

The use of herbicides in this type of treatment should not include application to the soil surface, so environmental contamination is minimal. But be aware that the active ingredients as well as the surfactants can volitalize into a gaseous drift and contaminate nearby plantings. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Just drill the five or six holes…and put a half teaspoon  of pure glyphosate in each one…that’s it…walk away for a couple weeks while it works!

I’ve done dozens of them and they die quickly and I’ve never once had roots “translocate” to another plant or tree!

or you can make huge weekend project out of it if you’d rather

• Like 1

Using chemicals is ok, but the tree stump dies and dries out which it will , it is still they ,just waiting for the local incest population ,mainly wood worm to attack it  then if you are not careful  they will have a go at your decking ,you will have to keep applying chemicals for a long time .

Easier to just get it taken out .

26 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Using chemicals is ok, but the tree stump dies and dries out which it will , it is still they ,just waiting for the local incest population ,mainly wood worm to attack it  then if you are not careful  they will have a go at your decking ,you will have to keep applying chemicals for a long time .

Thats going to take lot of brothers and sisters a lot of time....   :whistling:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Walk away for a couple of weeks until the poison kills the roots….the roots of some trees spread as wide as the tree is tall.
Then hire a man for 400 baht a day plus tip to dig the stump out by hand!

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

we use to throw a chain around them and rip them out with the Massey Ferguson .....

We did too only we used a much better method….a John Deere????

A lot of our stumps were oak…mostly poplar which were easy but the oak and maple ???? present a problem and the roots last underground for a generation

• Like 1