A picture money can't buy! Ecologist snaps whale with Bangkok skyline in the background

webfact

1 hour ago, smedly said:

well you can just about make it out through the polluted air - a great advertisement for eco green Thailand .............................. not lol

Air has been pretty good the last days in Bangkok, focus is on the whale not the background.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

well you can just about make it out through the polluted air - a great advertisement for eco green Thailand .............................. not lol

Bangkok has been very clear for weeks so that is not pollution.  You are aware it is rainy season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's a nice picture but not exactly rare. The area is part of the home range of the Bryde's Whales in the Gulf. There's one excellent company who are involved in conservation and can pretty much guarantee that they'll find whales for you. We've been twice, heading out from Samut Sakhon, and weren't disappointed. Once we didn't really lose sight of Bangkok's tallest buildings and the other time they had to take us a bit further south. Makes a great day trip. 

Do you have contact details please?  PM me if it isn't allowed here.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Incredible how when it comes to something positive some people still manage to squeeze out a negative !

Life must be depressing.... 

are you attempting to defend Thailand's eco/pollution record, do you live in Bangkok - if so are you happy with the air quality on display most of the year   

That whale is likely lost and is at serious risk swimming in Thai waters as already pointed out  

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

are you attempting to defend Thailand's eco/pollution record, do you live in Bangkok - if so are you happy with the air quality on display most of the year   

That whale is likely lost and is at serious risk swimming in Thai waters as already pointed out  

No, it's in its home range. The Bryde's Whales pretty much stay in the top half of the Gulf and numbers are steady I think.  When we've been out on trips, they've said that while whale deaths sometimes make the news, births rarely do. I think a couple of calves so far this year. 

22 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Do you have contact details please?  PM me if it isn't allowed here.  Thanks.

We've been out with Wild Encounter Thailand. I think they're revamping their website but they post pretty frequently on their Facebook page. They're currently not allowed to run trips but when restrictions are lifted we're planning to go out again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he had taken great shots of things all around the world but this was one that even 10 billion baht could not buy!

Why would I want to pay 10 billion baht for it? I'll just copy the OP pic in this article and be done with it -- for free.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

We've been out with Wild Encounter Thailand. I think they're revamping their website but they post pretty frequently on their Facebook page. They're currently not allowed to run trips but when restrictions are lifted we're planning to go out again. 

Thanks for that - looks excellent!  Will definitely try that with the family when restrictions are lifted.  Nice to have some positivity in the thread.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293916-d12711478-Reviews-Wild_Encounter_Thailand-Bangkok.html

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, josephbloggs said:

Thanks for that - looks excellent!  Will definitely try that with the family when restrictions are lifted.  Nice to have some positivity in the thread.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293916-d12711478-Reviews-Wild_Encounter_Thailand-Bangkok.html

Wild Encounter have announced on the Facebook page (Thai and English) that they're starting up again taking September bookings. If you don't see whales, they'll take you out again free until you do. They very rarely draw a blank I believe. 
https://www.facebook.com/wildencounterthailand/photos/pcb.2988581851381095/2988571454715468/

• Like 1