Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine

webfact

"Traveller says she will stay on in holiday hotspot because quarantine will ‘bankrupt’ her and sorting flight before Monday deadline is ‘almost impossible’

KLM flight leaving tonight at 23.15, has availability and will get you back in time, just got to get yourselves to BKK and pay 30,000 Baht each.

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Use the brains ! Fly to a non red area, stay there in quarantine as its vastly cheaper, then go to the Uk from there.

Rather spend quarantine in 5 star in Doha than grotty London at overcharged prices.

Just a suggestion

Also have to make sure that you are vaccinated with a UK approved vaccine. I am due my second AZ 20th September, but not sure the UK would recognise my vaccinations so might still have to do a 10 day quarantine.

I guess some have the option to arrange their return such that they spend at least 10 days in an amber or green country, extending their vacation. This may allow for some cost controls, assuming flights can be rearranged, and a more pleasant experience?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Try reading the article. She is visiting (and so probably staying with) her parents. And even if she wasn't staying with them originally, that's almost certainly what she'll do if she stays on.

Parents will have a bit of money if they are ensconced in Phuket.

Surely not the singlet and sandal, beer nursing types that we get up here in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Don't bleat and whinge when you are a victim of your poor choices, inadequate risk management and lack of funds then.

Wow...you should change your name to Mr Perfect. Go back to what you wrote and apply that to yourself at the age of a university graduate.

You sound like a perfect genius. Never making a wrong step, never complaining. You sound cool. 

Now...back in the real world...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Use the brains ! Fly to a non red area, stay there in quarantine as its vastly cheaper, then go to the Uk from there.

Rather spend quarantine in 5 star in Doha than grotty London at overcharged prices.

Just a suggestion

Its finding the countries now that are not at present on UKs red list,but that changes like the wind,hell they could be country hopping for a long long time    Id sit it out for at least a couple of years in Thailand,  the girl can get a job in a massage parlour      happy endings for all

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

How about the PCR test and other required paperwork and the getting to BKK? You make it sound so easy.

It's so clear that this forum is full of older people who have forgotten what it's like to be young. 

So they come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who does not have their sixty+ years of experience.

It could be done if you set your mind to and you really need to get back to start your degree course, and for the record I'm not coming down on anybody, unlike yourself, I'm saying there are options, if you look hard enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

"Traveller says she will stay on in holiday hotspot because quarantine will ‘bankrupt’ her and sorting flight before Monday deadline is ‘almost impossible’

KLM flight leaving tonight at 23.15, has availability and will get you back in time, just got to get yourselves to BKK and pay 30,000 Baht each.

Keep in touch with KLM demands to get on board as sometimes those are more strict than the country's , just as  KLM like to play the safe side.... KLM Travel alerts - KLM

Remember what Ryan Air did with U.K. to Spain travelers not so long time ago ....

Edited by david555

22 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

It could be done if you set your mind to and you really need to get back to start your degree course, and for the record I'm not coming down on anybody, unlike yourself, I'm saying there are options, if you look hard enough.

Where does it say that she has to start a degree course? Recent graduates, remember?

Frothing at the mouth and so not properly reading the article. Graduate position could mean a job or work placement or shadowing someone or...

Due to begin in late September, not tomorrow. 

So she is holding out for the next update. No complaints, no whinging.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I must have missed the part of the article where she is blaming anyone or even complaining. Can you point it out for me?

You won't be able to do so, because it didn't happen. In fact the only whingers are here on this forum. Outraged that someone took part in the Phuket Sandbox program and that had the temerity to point out that it's rather short notice to get PCR tests et al to fly back to the U.K. and so her best bet is to stay put instead of spending £3k and two weeks in jail. No complaints, no whinging; just telling her story.

But why are you so angry about her telling her story? 

If you travel during a global pandemic then government policy is likely to change at any time. Just like it did.

Your back up plan should include having the financial resources to be able to pay for the hotel quarantine on return.

Thailand was rumoured to be on the last  red list review, so hardly a surprise.

The costs of UK red list quarantine on return have been freely and widely available.

It's called personal responsibility.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

She should NOT visit family. She should NOT enjoy a holiday after study, work, saving. She should have 20/20 vision and be perfect; otherwise the pundits on this forum will savage her like wild dogs.

Whatever, did they not consider that something might go wrong in a time of world pandemic?

Also, she should not have traveled if they were unable to fund their return in the event of problems. Seems some never consider what might go wrong, and live in some sort of lala land where everything is perfect, all the time. IMO this is in the same category as not having insurance.

However not alone by any means. Some NZ travelers were trapped in Australia when the travel "bubble" opened and closed again when corona started raging. Perhaps people will think twice before going on a jaunt to another country when lockdowns are being imposed all over the world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredscats said:

They are going to be here for quite some time   maybe forever   Thailand ain:t getting rid of covid any time soon

This is exactly what happened to Polynesians in Hawaii, hundreds of seasonal workers and holiday folks were stranded for better part of a year, luckily Hawaii has a good social welfare system and gave them money to live on,  finally their Home Islands started letting planes land after some 10 months.   Fact:  Tonga is one of the few countries in the world that had Zero cases of Covid...............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I grew up in Hillingdon (where Heathrow is.) 30 years ago I promised myself that I would not return unless is was to get on a plane. The chances of me doing quarantine in a Holiday Inn on the Bath Road are zero. Doha a possibility.

Always stay at the Premier Inn....10 minutes by bus from the "Row"....and can sit at the back with a beer and watch the flights landing and taking off..simple pleasures.....Got a Freedom Pass so travel into London easy...RTE...New passport...Visa ...with visits to the V and A...Science Museum or nip along to the Spoons pub in Hayes and Harlington...Should be on Crossrail by now...?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IamNoone88 said:

The insanity of the British Gov't is immeasurable. 35,000 cases PER DAY, all of which can home quarantine, with little control. Yet, a double vaccinated, negative tested, returning British National cannot home quarantine. How mad is that. No wonder the country is in such a mess.

Are you not aware that being vaccinated apparently does not stop people becoming infected? Testing only proves what the case was when they were tested. It doesn't stop them becoming infected afterwards.