Phuket Opinion: A tradition of corruption

webfact

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've often wondered why suspects of a crime are so eager to confess and do a crime reenactment of crime. 

They confess under duress of course, and will get a lower sentence, halved I believe. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

TIT. Anyone who comes here expecting less than a systemic and cultural norm of day to day corruption will have a hard time. It's not a case of if you will come across it in your daily life in Thailand, but when. 

well corruption is one thing, and torturing people to death - on a regular basis by ferrari and lamburgini cops - is a whole different thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Why  not start with the "protection money" they ask for every  month from all  local  businesses  ie the RED BOX  scheme  foreigners  know  about, its  all  illegal all in cash and never  declared.

A big difference between slipping them a few baht and a cop torturing and murdering a suspect and stealing hundreds of millions of baht.

• Like 1

It's not just LOS, it's all the countries in this part of the world.

A guy in Malaysia was killed inside the gov't building where he was testifying.  Threw him out the bathroom window while court in recess.

(this was app. 10 years ago, don't recall the lad's name)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

A big difference between slipping them a few baht and a cop torturing and murdering a suspect and stealing hundreds of millions of baht.

No not really. Corruption is corruption. Feed the beast and it continues to thrive and grow.

There are no degrees of corruption, just the gigantic scale of it sometimes is exposed to light, but unlike vampires, does not die in the light However unlike vampires this corruption is not a myth

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karma80 said:

TIT. Anyone who comes here expecting less than a systemic and cultural norm of day to day corruption will have a hard time. It's not a case of if you will come across it in your daily life in Thailand, but when. 

Don’t you mean, how often?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Anyone remember the guy that allegedly hung himself with his socks in a cell?

My memory would have been better had there been working CCTVs on that particular day of the event. The footage would have re-inforced my memory retention abilities.

• Thanks 1