Heartbroken daughter desperate to fly bedridden dad home from Thailand

webfact

On 9/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, DoctorB said:

Then the limey guy must have either been an idiot or a long time abroad. You can't  even get a face to face with a primary care doctor (GP)  since covid started and hospital waiting lists are running up to a year or more.

All depends on what the issue is re: face to face. They are cutting back on those for cases where it isn't necessary to reduce c19 infection risk. I don't have an issue with that. If you do genuinely need to get a face-to-face, you can - I have seen my GP several times since C19 started to get blood test and TRT injections. Had an MRI done end of last year no issue.  

Regarding delays in operations as a result of the pandemic, it's inevitable. Advocates of keeping people in perpetual lockdowns didn't care to talk about the knock-on effects like this. No doubt there has been a delay in diagnosing cancer cases and so forth, which is highly regrettable. But the NHS cannot run a pandemic and still provide 100% normal service, the resources aren't there. 

Necessary operations for cases once diagnosed do not seem to be necessarily getting delayed - my colleague's wife had non-life threatening surgery just a few months ago and it was done quickly.  

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

But I've talked to plenty of Thai friends and the reports of public hospitals are far from stellar there. A common complaint being people going to queue up first thing in the morning to see someone and waiting for hours. 

I always expected to wait for hours in a Thai hospital and took a good book. I also got to know the cafe staff during my stay.

However, better than waiting days or weeks to see a GP here.

53 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The idea of lying on some bamboo platform outside a tin shack in Isaan after lets say a stroke, isn't living for me.

These are the questions that some 60 year old happily chugging down their next Leo at the bar needs to contemplate

So true.

Best post this week :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

These are the questions that some 60 year old happily chugging down their next Leo at the bar needs to contemplate

Oh here we go. So in your opinion they should stop going out and livIng for today, stay home instead bored to death, just incase they 'might' end up in a wheelchair late in life. Is that what you're saying?

Edited by Johnny Mac
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

You say that....I've had great care from the NHS, including removal of a brain tumour pre-C19. Cost me nothing, performed by a leading surgeon and the post-care was very good.

I'm also on TRT and again, I pay nothing.

I pay plenty of tax so I'm not freeloading, I just get fed up of reading people peristently running down the NHS. 

Sure, it has lots of problems, not least the excessive bureaucracy and variable standards. But I've talked to plenty of Thai friends and the reports of public hospitals are far from stellar there. A common complaint being people going to queue up first thing in the morning to see someone and waiting for hours. 

Only USA lawmakers complain about the NHS. People who know nothing about it. One such idiot was up talking about how "filthy". the hospitals were. Moron confuses "Old" with "filthy".  There IS a difference.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 7:58 PM, MarkyM3 said:

You say that....I've had great care from the NHS, including removal of a brain tumour pre-C19. Cost me nothing, performed by a leading surgeon and the post-care was very good.

I'm also on TRT and again, I pay nothing.

I pay plenty of tax so I'm not freeloading, I just get fed up of reading people peristently running down the NHS. 

Sure, it has lots of problems, not least the excessive bureaucracy and variable standards. But I've talked to plenty of Thai friends and the reports of public hospitals are far from stellar there. A common complaint being people going to queue up first thing in the morning to see someone and waiting for hours. 

Brits who run down the NHS, ought to experience life as an American. Good luck on healthcare, you'll need it. Britain has something worth preserving and many Brits do not appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickelbeer said:

Brits who run down the NHS, ought to experience life as an American. Good luck on healthcare, you'll need it. Britain has something worth preserving and many Brits do not appreciate it.

Same true for dentistry I understand. We (Brits) have a set maximum charge of £282.80 GBP for dental treatment performed under our NHS. I believe the costs can be several thousand dollars in the USA. Opinion is often given based on our most recent contact/treatment only. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, simon43 said:

Do you associate drinking Leo beer with 'living'?  I'm 62 years old, don't drink or party, and have a very happy, healthy and fulfilling life ????  My house in north Laos bears a close resemblance to an Issan 'shack', but that's my choice to live amongst nature, as opposed to a sterile condo in a soulless city.  Everyone is different.

A friend of mine who is legally married to his Lao wife described nothing but issues from the Lao authorities due to his being with his Lao lady.

Assuming you have some contact with the local ladies, have you experienced any difficulties? 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:48 AM, Johnny Mac said:

Oh here we go. So in your opinion they should stop going out and livIng for today, stay home instead bored to death, just incase they 'might' end up in a wheelchair late in life. Is that what you're saying?

Might be suggesting that Leo or other alcohol in excess isn't necessary for a full life in their opinion. I haven't had any alcohol since I returned to the UK last September and although I do drink sometimes when out for a meal when I'm home in Thailand I don't drink that much and I could live without it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, Grusa said:

But did you manage the millionaire bit? And if so, what currency?

Sorry for late reply, been busy counting my money!  Well I was a millionaire by the age of 40 but not in sterling, or USA dollars, come to that.  And even then it was only on value of business and assets so it doesn't count for much in the great scheme of things.  However I can say that my life (so far) has been very rich in many ways ????

• Like 1