Thousands join protest in Bangkok demanding prime minister's resignation

webfact

12 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As long as we aliens are not citizens of the nation, we are a kind of guests, even that we might mingle with locals, and bring some foreign currency into the country, and some of us invest in small business. As guests we follow the host's rules. If we wish our expressed views about the nation's leadership to be taken seriously, and being part of electing those that are going to lead the nation, we should apply for citizenship.

So it's correct, Thailand is not your country, US is your country, even you don't like US and left it. And as there also seems to be numerous things that don't like in Thailand, perhaps somewhere else might be a better choice; you already talked about moving out in other of your posts.

In my view, even that I feel that I have contributed a relative lot financially - "relative" compared to my financial status - and also have Thai family, I haven't applied f????or citizenship, so I'm still a guest. Therefore shall I follow the host's rules, or leave the nation if I cannot accept the rules...

So you think you are a guest in this country???? Try and tell any guests in your home to report to you every so often and see how long they stay.

"or leave the nation if I cannot accept the rules..." How long have you lived here in Thailand? I would love to leave, but I have had a loving wife and her family for 15 years now, and the country has changed 100% since I first came here, and that is before this Cvirus started.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

It's about time the Thai people stood up to these clowns in office, he's been ruining peoples lives for the past 6 years. 

I do hope that these well intended demonstrations are able to see the bigger picture. 

On the surface, I suspect they don't. 

Removing a couple foxes from the hen house watch just to be replaced by others of the same name. 

Rather moot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

So you think you are a guest in this country???? Try and tell any guests in your home to report to you every so often and see how long they stay.

"or leave the nation if I cannot accept the rules..." How long have you lived here in Thailand? I would love to leave, but I have had a loving wife and her family for 15 years now, and the country has changed 100% since I first came here, and that is before this Cvirus started.

You should now what immigrants need to do my home country, Thailand is not bad at all...????

I have by the way been resident guest here for 16 years, it's easy to be allowed to stay, and and I love the country...????????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

South Korea used to be called the country of coups from the 60s-80s and their history was marked by alternating periods of democratic and post coups autocratic military rule just like Thailand. Democracy enjoyed by South Korea today came about from student and civic movements that brought enormous changes to the constitution and political system. THailand may seem like a lost cause but I believed that in everything it has its threshold and limit. Pressure must be maintained by the youth and civil groups to break this cycle of coups. 

....and it will take a lot more than that to make any dents. 

17 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You should now what immigrants need to do my home country, Thailand is not bad at all...????

I have by the way been resident guest here for 16 years, it's easy to be allowed to stay, and and I love the country...????????

I'm sorry I don't understand your first paragraph, you are obviously not an English Native Speaker, but no harm in that.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm sorry I don't understand your first paragraph, you are obviously not an English Native Speaker, but no harm in that.

Just add "in" between do and my, it is then perfectly clear, whether native or non native speaker. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 1:43 PM, smedly said:

a week ??????

they hadn't even put pen to paper 

I suggest they use a pencil

Time to remove the curfew also - it offers little value in the grand scheme of things

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Spoken like a true tourist.

You shouldn't generalise. Some of us are permanent residents and citizens. Many more of us have vested interests here, families, businesses etc.

Thank you.....got there before me.

I have children, job, property and pay tax.

I think it does impact me, therefore I have a voice even though I'm not a citizen.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

Thank you.....got there before me.

I have children, job, property and pay tax.

I think it does impact me, therefore I have a voice even though I'm not a citizen.

Yep. There are many coming from this same perspective. Some aren't overtly conscious about being a foreigner or being considered a foreigner. This is what natural acclimation and custom bring. 

9 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Stop Bitching you lot.

It is not your country.

But it IS the country of my wife and our son, also it is the country of my wife's extended family. It is also the country of my Thai neighbours and friends and of their families also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Those immigrants you mention get full rights, while you enjoy absolutely no rights and can have your very temporary visas status ended at any time and on a whim if someone takes a disliking to you. 

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

The problem with some thousands that attends "the parliament of the streets" is that they are not democracy, they might not represent a majority of the population.

A general election shows better what a democratic majority wish for a nation - noting that some seats in a parliament might be reserved for selected, and thereby non-elected, members, the result of a general election still shows what the population wants, and the voters can still express their opinion by voting "none" if they don't like any of the candidates - perhaps the people agrees with the parliament of street, and perhaps they don't agree. We will not know by speculation, only after an election.

When thinking back on the last periodes with elected governments, then both red-shirts and yellow-shirts come to mind, and chaotic chaos in the streets - some news articles even mentioned the country was on edge to a civil war - thereafter came a peace, which many wished for, and also better economic performance. Just look at stats, unfortunately the better economy with lower national debt compared to GNP, resulted in a stronger Thai baht currency, which numerous aliens cried about.

Looked historically the last 90 years in Thailand have been an ongoing shift between elected governments and military leadership, I'm not sure what is best - even economic stats are in favor of one side - and I'm not sure if it would change in the near future, no matter what "the parliament of the streets", or general elections, might indicate. However, order and stability might be the best for the people in long terms.

When Thaksin was deposed via a coup the baht was at 37.3 to the dollar.

54 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Those immigrants you mention get full rights, while you enjoy absolutely no rights and can have your very temporary visas status ended at any time and on a whim if someone takes a disliking to you. 

No, not in my Scandinavian home country; full rights applies after you apply for citizenship, and you get approved after passing tests, and the parliament thereafter votes for you. Until they get a kind of permanent permission to stay, which takes quite some time, their temporary status to stay can be revoked with a few weeks notice.

It's much more easy for me to stay here, than to for example bring my girlfriend - or wife, if we were married - to stay with me in my home country, even we have a child together; it would be somewhere between extremely difficult to impossible, probably the last.

Here in Thailand I easily have my permission to stay extended for 12 month. I cannot imagine that "someone disliking" me, as long as I behave reasonable polite, and don't break the law. My fellow countrymen (and women) have been allowed to stay in this country for generations...????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry, typo, missed a "k" in front of "now", reads: You should know what immigrants need to do my home country...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of zaniness. If we do not have some rights, or some room to complain, I would rather be dead. Come on khunPer. Be serious. I am a man, not a sheep, and most of us refuse to behave like quiet little lambs. Man up, please. 

You are welcome to do whatever you think is right, I'm living my life the way that I believe is right, and I got so far no problems living in Land of Smiles, and on Samui, and I don't need to consider moving on to another place. The nation, and its people, have been very kind to me, so I'm extremely happy here...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh stop. Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or stop bitching, or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. 

By saying it is not your country, you are implying that since we do not have Thai passports, we are entitled to nothing, and have no rights. Not even the right to complain. We live here, we spend alot of money here, we build businesses, and homes, and some support Thai families. And yet we have no right to complain, or say anything? Just keep our opinions to ourselves, and be obedient little sheep? That is really a dumb and regressive thing to say.

I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it.

I believe the proper name for such a person is "boot licker."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully these protests will only grow. The more flac the people can give this toxic regime, the better. Any way to show disapproval, any way to show dissatisfaction, any way to show how much they are despised is very healthy for society right now. Hopefully, they will only escalate. The car mobs are a brilliant idea. The crooked and totally compromised cops cannot cite them for any of the drummed up, totally unjust, repressive (covid social distancing) and nonsensical laws. 

Let them have it. Let them know how much we hate them. Go for it. Victory to the youth! Down with the regressive dinosaurs. 

201008-thailand-protests-mc-10414.jpg

Street protest didn't achieve much on Tiananmen square in 1989 and Beijing will be more than happy to to set up a new totalitarian state in Thailand, fully equipped with face recognition cameras on every street corner.

Better a local yo-yo who is basically fighting in the dark. After all, the current regime has been very soft and very few people have been detained for political reasons?

Where is Joshua Wong and his cute sidekick now?

In jail next to a billionaire media tycoon?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh stop. Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or stop bitching, or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. 

By saying it is not your country, you are implying that since we do not have Thai passports, we are entitled to nothing, and have no rights. Not even the right to complain. We live here, we spend alot of money here, we build businesses, and homes, and some support Thai families. And yet we have no right to complain, or say anything? Just keep our opinions to ourselves, and be obedient little sheep? That is really a dumb and regressive thing to say.

I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it.

POST OF THE YEAR 2021.

Thank you spidermike007!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

Ahem!

Haven't you noticed that the political faction which brought "peace", is the same political faction which created chaos in 2013/2014 (and blocked any possibility to have a general election showing what a democratic majority wished for a nation)? ????

Additionally, didn't you notice that the last elections have been rigged?????

Really?????

Indeed. More so, I find it somewhat perplexing that a few within this thread speak confidently regarding Thai political history when they really don't have a clue as to how such current events relate to historic perspectives. There has never been a "balanced shift" between firm military rule and so called facade of a democratic civilian government. 

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

We don't want any new coups, do you want another self elected PM with a Military Academy education again?

We need a government elected by the Thai people, not another bunch of Tinpot soldiers.

If it’s another coup , it will be military.

what is needed is a snap election with Prayuth resignation and a caretaker government.

For that to happen in Thailand, pigs might fly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

But it IS the country of my wife and our son, also it is the country of my wife's extended family. It is also the country of my Thai neighbours and friends and of their families also. 

If it's home with all the familial trimmings then one has all the right to be concerned and get involved.

Many, I'm sure, still consider themselves foreigners [regardless of their years] and are perceived this way in the community because of the way they come across. 

Bit of a shame.

• Like 1