Immigration officer fired after being caught using official vehicle to smuggle cigarettes

webfact

1 minute ago, smedly said:

I wonder was it 600 packets or cartons - I would assume the latter 

plus he was smuggling people across the border which to me is far more serious

I guess you did not read correctly. He was DEPORTING illegal immigrants and while in Cambodia he bought cigarettes. So he was on official duty doing his job. So that makes the smuggling a worse offence as he used an official vehicle for it.

There was no smuggling of people going on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I wonder was it 600 packets or cartons - I would assume the latter 

plus he was smuggling people across the border which to me is far more serious

Naughty, you did not read the article correctly.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh just a show to appease the current media spotlight on the vast amount of corruption be discussed openly.

It is one less snout in a trough. He must not have had a brown envelope ready at the time.

Wait for the spin put on it by his boss for the newspapers and social media.

They will move him to the tourism department next month for his entrepreneurial skills and fostering good cross border relations with neighboring countries as well boosting the Cambodian economy.

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Wait for the spin put on it by his boss for the newspapers and social media.

They will move him to the tourism department next month for his entrepreneurial skills and fostering good cross border relations with neighboring countries as well boosting the Cambodian economy.

He wasn't smuggling, he was confiscating the cigarettes in order to destroy them and protect the lungs of tiny orphans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is likely fake news, and he was probably "transferred". Immigration, police, customs, army and government officials do not get fired here for corruption. They get "protected". It has always been that way, and Prayuth would be the last man in the world to upset the status quo, and the apple cart.

Sure, they had to do something, as they always do when this is made public, they are embarrassed or humiliated, and outed for their daily practices. But, rest assured, no charges will be filed against him, and he will walk away, just like all the other do.