Name This Flying Monster

patekatek

Can anyone help me identify this huge flying insect?  I've tried doing some research trying to find info on large, black, flying insects but cannot find a match.  It's possible I passed by information about it because I was focusing on something with wings extended.

I tried describing it to my caddie this morning and she immediately described it and told me it was dangerous.  That's all I have to go on.

huge flying insect.2JPG.JPG

huge flying insect.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like a hornet to me.

The best thing about hornets is that they don't follow you about... they are not aggressive and tend to ignore you. They might pack a nasty sting, but as long as you leave them alone they have no interest in people.

Carpenter Bee, females can sting but they are very docile.
They'll buzz around you and then just fly off. As other's have mentioned, please don't destroy them, there's enough damage from pesticides and habitat loss

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Looks like a hornet to me.

The best thing about hornets is that they don't follow you about... they are not aggressive and tend to ignore you. They might pack a nasty sting, but as long as you leave them alone they have no interest in people.

A hornet looks like a large wasp, ie yellow and black stripped, and yes they can be very aggressive even if un-provoked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronster said:

Odd the number of times you hear Thais say dangerous or it kill you when in fact the creature is usually totally harmless. They seem to know very little or zero about the wildlife in their country. 
You might think they would add a few hours in the school program to say ok this is a king cobra so avoid and this is a tree snake so no problem etc .

Every snake is dangerous as well, but not wearing a helmet drunk driving etc etc seams no problem at all.