Koh Samui: Immigration nab Hungarian widow on 4,165 day overstay

webfact

9 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Hmmm.  I've been here 15 years and never had the police or immigration officers check my visa while walking on the beach. There is something missing from this story. 

Definitely. Someone wanted the business. Could have been another farang.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

If we could only know , what thoughts these unique overstayers have, obviously high intelligence at survival, know full well how to manage accommodations and finance,

When you have an incompetent, lazy and corrupt police force it would be easy to overstay for years. Move to an address other than what is on your last TM card, lie low, don't pee off any Thais about anything whatsoever, rent somewhere that doesn't register you with immigration etc.

But vaccine passports will soon be needed to enter any public buildings and parks, food places, shops, hospitals, book seats on buses etc.,, CCTV everywhere will have Facial Recognition Technology so life will be very limited for anyone on overstay.

????

How come the husband's overstay didn't come to light when he passed away?

If the headline were to read something along the lines of. "Recently widowed Hungarian woman, found wandering was given medical treatment and assisted in reuniting with her family in Hungary even though she had breached Thailands immigration  laws"

That posted on the Web might, just might overshadow the normal falang bashing!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Cat Boy said:

So...., like every other high profile arrest, will this poor widow, the "perp", be obliged to re-enact her "crime" and dramatize her 4,165 days of overstay for the RTP to video? 

Deporting her to her native Hungary from Thailand seems like a terrible fate given the Viktor Orbán dictatorship there.

Sort of like frying pan to fire?

• Like 1

I can't understand the whole thing at all. Immigration collects data like crazy. Name, address, telephone numbers, emails, husband's name, business address, etc. The widow wasn't on the run and was hiding. The fact that immigration takes 11 years to discover an overstay does not throw a good light on the organization. Normally, their IT system should be able to deliver a list of overstayers at the push of a button. It would still be good customer-friendly services if the immigration department informed about the overstay in a timely manner. There are definitely reasons why people get into overstay and many are not deliberately criminal, such as illness, accident or simply forgetting an appointment.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Normally, their IT system should be able to deliver a list of overstayers at the push of a button.

Possibly that's what happens. But if they move somewhere else without notifying immigration then they can only wait for the overstayer to slip up.

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why did immigration suddenly notice her after all these years?

Does someone want her "out the way" ?

How did her Husband die ?

What will happen to their business ?

Who will inherit it ?

Dun Know

20 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Hmmm.  I've been here 15 years and never had the police or immigration officers check my visa while walking on the beach. There is something missing from this story. 

Pattaya 6 years, Brazil 6 years, Costa Rica 11 years, USA 42 years, all only checked arriving and leaving. In fact never ask in more than 30 countries I have travelled 

16 hours ago, fakser said:

You guys will always mock and laugh from any official regulatory legal act. Hello, it’s almost 12 years overstay. Not a week. Not a month. We, the normative people sweat our blood every year to arrange the money and the documents to extend our visas but it was not touching her. This woman expressed the lowest level of law abiding and should be punished severely.  

Strangle her with a silk cloth

21 hours ago, Cat Boy said:

So...., like every other high profile arrest, will this poor widow, the "perp", be obliged to re-enact her "crime" and dramatize her 4,165 days of overstay for the RTP to video? 

Deporting her to her native Hungary from Thailand seems like a terrible fate given the Viktor Orbán dictatorship there.

I agree - I can't clearly visualize the crime without a reenactment photo. But who would do the finger pointing? 

moral of the story is, take care of your wife, make sure everything is taking care of for your wife, don't leave her in this kind of mess, poor lady she is clueless and doesn't know what to do or where to go

Edited by vinci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzdog32095 said:
22 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Pattaya 6 years, Brazil 6 years, Costa Rica 11 years, USA 42 years, all only checked arriving and leaving. In fact never ask in more than 30 countries I have travelled 

When a foreigner dies in Thailand many agencies get involved - police (immigration), coroner, embassy, local government, first responders, etc. 

The husbands death a few weeks ago would have uncovered his, and the wife's, status.  Immigration went to get her at home, but found her walking on the beach. 

No great mystery if you just think about it.

21 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I agree entirely. This lady probably relied on her husband to do the necessary paperwork while he was alive and may not have even been aware of what she was supposed to do.

I feel very sorry for her and the fact that she lost her husband recently just increases my sympathy for her.

She isn't a young woman and probably needs more help than the pompous attitude of the Immigration department with their proudly displayed, 'Caught a dangerous security risk' Photo Op.

Of course the law needs to be followed, but for crying out loud - some human kindness, please.

there IS NO HUMAN KINDNESS IN THIS PLACE !!!!

• Sad 1

I think we should cut the lady some slack here and not jump to conclusions she might have lived her life everyday thinking her husband had taken care of everything when we now know he hadn't.

In my own experience years ago when my old man died he left my mother in a right mess I remember I had to take some time of work to get things sorted it was the same my old man took care of everything, my mother didn't even have a bank account,

Financially she was ok but he had not taken care of anything in the event of a death.

It's a subject we dont like to talk about but it can happen to any one of us, here in Thailand my wife has access to everything should anything happen to me, she knows where everything is, even crypto currency accounts I would hate to think she couldn't benefit. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I agree entirely. This lady probably relied on her husband to do the necessary paperwork while he was alive and may not have even been aware of what she was supposed to do.

I feel very sorry for her and the fact that she lost her husband recently just increases my sympathy for her.

She isn't a young woman and probably needs more help than the pompous attitude of the Immigration department with their proudly displayed, 'Caught a dangerous security risk' Photo Op.

Of course the law needs to be followed, but for crying out loud - some human kindness, please.

Human Kindness from Thai Immigration or the soldiers government??  More chance of  meeting an honest politician.

14 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

How come the husband's overstay didn't come to light when he passed away?

If the headline were to read something along the lines of. "Recently widowed Hungarian woman, found wandering was given medical treatment and assisted in reuniting with her family in Hungary even though she had breached Thailands immigration  laws"

That posted on the Web might, just might overshadow the normal falang bashing!

Who said the husband was on overstay?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

I can't understand the whole thing at all. Immigration collects data like crazy. Name, address, telephone numbers, emails, husband's name, business address, etc. The widow wasn't on the run and was hiding. The fact that immigration takes 11 years to discover an overstay does not throw a good light on the organization. Normally, their IT system should be able to deliver a list of overstayers at the push of a button. It would still be good customer-friendly services if the immigration department informed about the overstay in a timely manner. There are definitely reasons why people get into overstay and many are not deliberately criminal, such as illness, accident or simply forgetting an appointment.

If they had an IT department. 

• Haha 1