Koh Samui: Immigration nab Hungarian widow on 4,165 day overstay

webfact

1 hour ago, Cat Boy said:

So...., like every other high profile arrest, will this poor widow, the "perp", be obliged to re-enact her "crime" and dramatize her 4,165 days of overstay for the RTP to video? 

Deporting her to her native Hungary from Thailand seems like a terrible fate given the Viktor Orbán dictatorship there.

Well at least she’ll be used to ‘dictatorship' by now ,eh? ???? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

Hmmm.  I've been here 15 years and never had the police or immigration officers check my visa while walking on the beach. There is something missing from this story. 

I have twice in 16 years thankfully I was carrying my pink I’d card issued with my house book both times they looked at it and wished me a good day 

45 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Correct, what amazes me is how these long overstayers survived financially, without detection.

I say good luck to her, and if i was the LOS boss I would grant her residence.

Well done I hope you r treated with respect and kindness. 

If they had any respect and kindness they wouldn’t parade her in front of a camera for a political photo shoot these people don’t know the meaning of those two words as far as they are concerned we’re all dirty robbing farangs

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why did immigration suddenly notice her after all these years?

Does someone want her "out the way" ?

How did her Husband die ?

What will happen to their business ?

Who will inherit it ?

Dead right. 4165 days then they find her. Crock if s.h.1.t.  someone wants rid of er. 

• Like 2

probably mental health problems elevated by husbands death….. nobody here can be unaware of the three month foreigner reporting/ visa extention cycles….. foolish PR stunt obviously has the opposite intended effect….. highlights gross Imm. negligence / incompetence……. this case should surely have been priority flagged by Imm. Computer after she failed to register after say 18 months from entering thailand……also encourages other overstayers big time……why dont we ever see any Wanted posters for criminals here ?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Hungarian woman readily admitted she had arrived in Thailand on a tourist visa on 30th November 2009 and was permitted to stay until February 2010. 

She made the most out of her holiday. Clearly she behaved quite alright, otherwise she would have been dobbed in or found out long before. Hardly a threat to national security, this one.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Funny to see those immigration guys standing at attention around her as if she some kind a dignitary or something...so 11 years and 7 months without the proper documents, doesn't say much for those guys on such a small island, hopefully they will take it easy on her...

Yeah, next available airplane home to nothing.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I agree entirely. This lady probably relied on her husband to do the necessary paperwork while he was alive and may not have even been aware of what she was supposed to do.

I feel very sorry for her and the fact that she lost her husband recently just increases my sympathy for her.

She isn't a young woman and probably needs more help than the pompous attitude of the Immigration department with their proudly displayed, 'Caught a dangerous security risk' Photo Op.

Of course the law needs to be followed, but for crying out loud - some human kindness, please.

Many Wives the world over would leave management matters to their Husbands which would include necessary paperwork. So Husband had a business and wasn't required to report income, license etc etc so the failure to detect raises more questions here. I wish the Lady well.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, james1943 said:

I was a police officer in America for 28 years and many time you over look a so small misdemeanor because the person really did nothing that bad or did not hurt anyone. This poor lady just lost her husband and now they want to put he into more pain. Let the lady go if the only thing she done wrong was stay with and love her husband till the day he died then felt so lonely and was wondering on the beach that her and husband probably loved. The police are to also protect people also not just arrest good people

If only all police thought out things like this , best wishes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rott said:

Exactly, from the photo she doesn't look like a dosser and they don't normally do spot checks on random farang (do they?) so possibly someone ratted her out. As our American cousins say. 

Maybe they are checking, if all tourists in the Samui Sandbox are doing their overpriced mandatory tests, which is needed for the country to survive?

Edited by Xonax

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na reported in their standard rhetoric that this was part of Immigration Bureau chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang's policy of keeping Thailand safe and secure from the danger represented by criminal foreign elements

Christ yeah shes probably an international arms  dealer, drug  runner (  oh  sorry reserved for govt ministers) and all round bad  sort

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I wonder if "wandering" is indicative of "lost" as well as in grief, there could be a cognitive disorder as well. 

Yes a long time over stayer, so it is a deliberate overstay, and irrespective of her current grief and distress, remains an overstayer.

I hope they treat her with dignity and compassion, and I hope further she has supports to assist wind up her affairs so as she does not end up impoverished and grieving in her home country.

If we could only know , what thoughts these unique overstayers have, obviously high intelligence at survival, know full well how to manage accommodations and finance, Maybe some one will write a book one day " My big long life in Thailand without a Visa, I admire them for their skill, busted for them is the end of privacy and entry into the restricted world . God bless sanity xxx

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Such a dangerous person?

Whilst I do not condone people who overstay or break the law, this lady is not really a threat to Thailand's security.

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Such a dangerous person?

Whilst I do not condone people who overstay or break the law, this lady is not really a threat to Thailand's security.

Commend those 3 brave officers bravely guarding such a violent overstayer. I wonder how many it will take to put a plastic bag over her head and try to extort money from her dead husbands business????????? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cat Boy said:

So...., like every other high profile arrest, will this poor widow, the "perp", be obliged to re-enact her "crime" and dramatize her 4,165 days of overstay for the RTP to video? 

I hope so, it would obviously take 4,165 days to do it properly,

• Haha 1