Hua Hin police issue warning about counterfeit money – how to spot fake cash

snoop1130

baht-696x470.jpeg

file photo

Hua Hin Police have warned people in Hua Hin, both Thais and foreigners, to be on the look out for counterfeit money.

The warning comes after police have investigated reports of fake 1,000 baht notes in circulation in the area.

Police have released a comparison between a legitimate note and counterfeits to help people more easily spot the fake cash.

Full Story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/hua-hin-police-issue-warning-about-counterfeit-money-how-to-spot-fake-cash/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-09-21

• Like 2

I have just checked my 1000 tbh notes and none of them match the notes that the RTP have released for comparison. As they all came out of an ATM I imagine that none are fake, but I think I'll use my bank's ATM in future and keep the receipt, just in case!

14 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

It shouldn't be the responsibility of average people to figure this out.
What if you have a "fake" note?  Are you then suspect?  Do they take your "fake" note and leave you without compensations? 

In the USA that is 'EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO'..... I have had a $20 and a $100 (This $100 I was suspicious of) confiscated here at my bank..... Those 'scanning (counting) machines' they use at money changers in Thailand and Banks everywhere are made to detect counterfeit bills.... When I take cash to Thailand, I normally ask my bank here in the USA to give me 'perfect' bills of the latest or newest printing... I've done it often before Covid and no problem.....

Maybe 2-3 years ago an American Friend of mine who has lived in Pattaya for 10-15 years went to Cambodia and saw in a market place that they were selling packs of 50 Fake $100 bills for a couple dollars..... He bought a pack of them and flew back to Thailand with them... Just for novelty, without intent to pass them -- just give them to friends and girls.... I asked him when he told me the story... WHAT IF THEY HAD CAUGHT YOU AT AIRPORT..... and arrested you for possession of a large quantity of 'counterfeit money'....... He then realized how he risked largely... only for a bit of fun.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

As they all came out of an ATM

Just checked mine from yesterday as well

Point #3: On a legitimate note, the number 0 of the 1000 on the left-hand side is next to the metal strip. However on the counterfeit note, the zero is much further away.

At least 4 of the bills are like this................:unsure:

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

I have just checked my 1000 tbh notes and none of them match the notes that the RTP have released for comparison. As they all came out of an ATM I imagine that none are fake, but I think I'll use my bank's ATM in future and keep the receipt, just in case!

I only ever get 1,000B notes from the ATM, half of those in my possession today fail on point 3 (closeness to the last 0) but pass the other 2 points, in particular the reflectiveness of the flower.

16 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

What if you have a "fake" note?  Are you then suspect?  Do they take your "fake" note and leave you without compensations? 

This happened to my colleague 2 year ago - albeit with a B100 note.. The merchant caught it and called the police. My friend was asked to stay, which he did voluntarily.  The police came and made a report, they also took the actual note.  My friend wasn’t arrested or charged, but he was called a few days later to explain how he got the note, if he remembered.

He did not get a new/replacement from the police nor bank (where he said it came from). So, yes, it seems that the last one “holding the bag” is who takes the loss. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I only ever get 1,000B notes from the ATM, half of those in my possession today fail on point 3 (closeness to the last 0) but pass the other 2 points, in particular the reflectiveness of the flower.

So either there are shed loads of counterfeits in circulation or the description of that specific difference is flawed..........????

• Like 1

I just checked 18 notes I got from an ATM. I would place them in 5 different categories of how far the strip is from the 0 and how close to the bottom. It is definitely not as simple as they are showing. For example out of the 18 only 5 have the strip close to the 0. Out of those 5 only 2 have strip close to the bottom. All of the strips have a greenish tint to them, at least under house lights.

I see notes with 3 different distances from the 0.  And among those there are some with strip closer to the bottom or higher up.

5 hours ago, kensawadee said:

And that is what happens in UK. If you have in your custody or pass a counterfeit note, or coin it is an offense.

The note or coin will be removed from your custody and you will not be compensated.

If they're anything like fakes in the UK, the thing you should look out for is thickness and quality of the paper, along with raised printing.  Much easier to spot.

Best thing to do is grab a note that you know is real and give it a good feel. 

Try to appreciate the texture and thickness of the paper, then feel for any raised/bumpy printing.  Generally fakes don't have the same quality paper and forgers do not have the technology to recreate the raised printing.  So find a section with easy to notice raised printing and make sure you check it if you're suspicious of a new note.

I've never felt a fake Thai Baht note, but this is the easiest way to spot a fake in the UK, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, ArcticFox said:

I think that's what they do in most places. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:45 AM, Scott Tracy said:

And that is what happens in UK. If you have in your custody or pass a counterfeit note, or coin it is an offense.

The note or coin will be removed from your custody and you will not be compensated.

They'll tell you you're lucky they don't do you for passing fake notes ...