My sandbox experience

9 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Also in the Samui program you're stuck in your hotel for a week, it's just a stupid money grab by the participant hotels. 

This is also ridiculous.

Are you stuck in the hotel room for a week, or do you mean that in the first week an arrival to Samui has to remain on hotel grounds for the first week ?

Also, IF doing the Sandbox in Phuket for the first week, are you then stuck in your hotel for a week in Samui, or is that considered the second week of Sandbox / Samui Plus quarantine and you are free to use the Island ?

• Haha 1

Thanks for sharing your experience,  I'm coming back to Thailand in the Phuket Sandbox early November. I'm planning to spend all 14 days in Phuket as the weather in November is not good in Samui. My gf will come there and will bring me my kayak, it would be far better experience than the ASQ in Bangkok.

What visa did you use to come back and did you have to provide 40/400 health insurance for the CoE in addition to the 100K Covid insurance?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Also, IF doing the Sandbox in Phuket for the first week, are you then stuck in your hotel for a week in Samui, or is that considered the second week of Sandbox / Samui Plus quarantine and you are free to use the Island ?

It's considered second week and I'm free to move around. 

Great info PoorSucker, thanks and welcome back.

Can you comment on your Qatar flights? How was the seat occupancy, can one hope to have some extra space also in Economy or is it elbow-to-elbow?

And transfer procedure in Doha, did you feel at risk of infection there?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Great info PoorSucker, thanks and welcome back.

Can you comment on your Qatar flights? How was the seat occupancy, can one hope to have some extra space also in Economy or is it elbow-to-elbow?

And transfer procedure in Doha, did you feel at risk of infection there?

It was perfect. 

One empty seat between all passengers. Great legroom. 

I have pretty long legs and I had to best legroom ever in coach.

No worries in Doha, every other seat in waiting areas was sealed off

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats utterly ridiculous... IF you are free to walk around Samui, on what basis can they possibly deny your use of a rented or private vehicle ?

In that very situation I would just rent a bike and use it, they can’t really stop you. 

------------

My hotel (in Phuket) insisted that I register with them on a daily basis with the Mor Chana App (which they would scan) - on a couple of days I went out an no one was in reception to register with. By 6pm the hotel were calling me to ‘come back and register’... I just told them it wasn’t my problem they were not there, I sent a screen print of my Mor Chana QR code - they had little choice but to accept that. 

Strangely, the second hotel not once asked to see my Mor Chana App !

(in Phuket I stayed at 2 separate SHA Plus hotels, each for a week - in Rawai and Bang Tao).

I'm heading there soon and looking for Hotel recommendations/prices if you can kindly assist. Welcome to pm me

5 hours ago, geisha said:

PoorSucker Hi,  so the initial rule where you had to fly direct , home country to Phuket is not actual ?

i have two options, Emirates France Phuket via Dubai,  or , Singapore Airlines Paris via Singapore. 
Is this good, thanks !

Emirates automatically includes free insurance for the duration of your stay up to a year which satisfies Thai requirements for a COE (if its a one-way flight, cover is for 31 days max).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rskdev21 said:

"The Samui Extra Plus only have a few hotels for the first seven days starting at 30.000 baht for a week, second week there are more and cheaper hotels to choose from."

So, basically $900.00 USD for 7 day's? What a scam. Not paying that. Will wait. I don't like to throw money away like that. And the Thais know they got you in a corner, so they are going to gouge like never before.

+1.

Town has no tourists so the Thai solution is to raise prices.

$900 - That's more than I like to pay to buy a car.

Edited by JimmyJ

Have to be honest, at 650B a night and basically being free to roam and drink in Phuket, is not really a pain to do at all. Still would be the 3x 3000 baht for tests aside of paperwork and insurance costs then, better than nothing at all for longstayers but doubt tourists like it. 

10-15K baht extra cost might not sound like a lot but for most young and new travelers that is the difference to fly for a bit more to Mexico etc from Europe too. I personally picked Asia at the time just because tickets saved me that 300 euro more (aside of fear testing positive and then being locked up or having even more costs and no holiday left, doubt this attracts backpackers or fearful elderly couples that never went here before - let alone families).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1