Smokers: Expect 6-8 baht more on a pack from tax changes effective this Friday

webfact

I heard this was coming a couple of weeks ago when the inevitable happened.

The distributors stopped delivering Marlboro and L&M cigarettes to some of the large stores.

The guy who owns the store said this is what happens before a tax rise comes, the distributors stop selling them and hoard them instead.

Normal deliveries only resume once the rate has been increased.

I'll bet they've got full warehouses and based on what happened every time before the price of foreign cigarettes will almost certainly rise far higher than the Thai brands.

I expect a 15 to 20 Baht rise in price per pack for foreign brands instead of the reported 6 to 8 Baht rise which will almost certainly be for domestic brands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Smoke about 20 a year.....so should be able to stand the increase.

... now dats like a whole pack mate, you should rather grow it yourself!

That said black market is thriving and the respective merchandise seems to be the real thing or close enough to it ... nothing like say the Maesai stuff, anyone remembers that? Same machorka under 10 different 'brand' names ...?

No problem actually if you were used to approx. that air quality by living up north in the 1st place but for everybody else the best thing to get if one seriously wanted to quit, 555 ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, overt2016 said:

My local Tesco is not selling smokes until the 1st. Greedy buggers.

You have to be joking!

Why would it make any difference to them? The money goes to the Treasury?

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

6 baht for a packet is nothing and won't affect anything. I still see a lot of smokers.

Christ they dont want to stop people smoking, thats the last thing they want......

They have the Thai Tobacco Monopoly or whatever they have tried to change the name to, to take away perceptions about 'Monopoly'.

The Thai Tobacco Monopoly is one of the most opaque organizations ever, under the Finance Ministry- i shudder to think where and what the revenues from it end up....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

The Thai Tobacco Monopoly is one of the most opaque organizations ever, under the Finance Ministry- i shudder to think where and what the revenues from it end up....

The royal purse. 

Under the guise of the Finance Ministry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

I heard this was coming a couple of weeks ago when the inevitable happened.

The distributors stopped delivering Marlboro and L&M cigarettes to some of the large stores.

The guy who owns the store said this is what happens before a tax rise comes, the distributors stop selling them and hoard them instead.

Normal deliveries only resume once the rate has been increased.

I'll bet they've got full warehouses and based on what happened every time before the price of foreign cigarettes will almost certainly rise far higher than the Thai brands.

I expect a 15 to 20 Baht rise in price per pack for foreign brands instead of the reported 6 to 8 Baht rise which will almost certainly be for domestic brands.

My local mum and pop already selling Camel >Bt5. Now Bt65.

99B now for L&M.  I can afford the extra 8B or whatever. 

Meanwhile if I was back home I'd be paying about 700B for the same.  A saving of 600B per day is 219,000B per annum.  My first divorce cost me less than that.

I've considered smoking more but concluded it would interfere too much with my drinking.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The bill has not come in yet.........

Agreed. 

But to quote Hunter S, Thompson, "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow, what a Ride!"

I've also threatened my uncharitable offspring that I further intend to arrive at the grave having spent my last 200B on a packet of smokes and a Johnnie Walker (hold the ice), they will have to pay for the funeral, and that it is my fervent hope that three credit card bills arrive after my death, thoroughly maxed out and overdue.    ????

• Haha 2