Thai Authorities Warn of Possible Flooding in Bangkok and Adjacent Provinces

snoop1130

488d9f2b1dd885b0985f11efd890c31b_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Royal Irrigation Department has warned authorities in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani provinces to brace for possible flooding, after the department decided to increase the discharge rate of the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat, in anticipation of more heavy rainfall.

Ayutthaya irrigation project director Thanakorn Tantikul said the decision was taken to prevent floods in the northern part of the country, as a monsoon trough makes its way down the length of the country towards the Central Plains and upper South. Provinces downstream of Chai Nat have been advised to prepare for a possible surge of water from the dam, which may cause floods in low-lying areas.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government is preparing plans to prevent floods in the more central and southern parts of the country, including Bangkok and its adjacent provinces, as heavy rain was still reported in isolated pockets, meaning the risk of flash floods and landslides remains high.

He said the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has been instructed to come up with a plan to deal with the nation’s flood problem. The department will also dispatch officials and equipment, such as water pumps and rescue boats, to help those affected.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But "there will be no floods!!" :whistling:

Trouble is, they will prevent/reduce flooding in BKK itself and us poor sods just north will get it ???? 

In 2011 I was 300m away on the wrong side of big bag barricade in Don Meuang. I hope they don't try that again.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Trouble is, they will prevent/reduce flooding in BKK itself and us poor sods just north will get it ???? 

That is how it went last time. I hope for you things stay ok. I still got furniture in my old home so I hope it stays dry there.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Royal Irrigation Department has warned authorities in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani provinces to brace for possible flooding, after the department decided to increase the discharge rate of the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat, in anticipation of more heavy rainfall.

Prayut... No floods.

Bangkok governor... No floods.

Irrigation dept, brace for floods.

Useless people.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Seismic said:

They have had several years to come up with a plan to prevent/mitigate flooding, why should they get a break when they only decide to do something now, when it is far too late?

Plans and prevention cost money, why spend it to help the people when they can be left to help themselves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

This should get interesting if Bangkok proper gets flooded.

This junta can't catch a break.

I think they have got lucky with the weather this time.. 

Major storm came through and caused the surgewaters.. But its calmed down and not stayed solid so that surge could well be absorbed in the central plains and not build up a wall of water they cannot deal with.. If the next few days stay 'ok' in the north and central, and thats how it appears, they should just get away with it. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Continuing to cement over a region that is largely below sea level isn't much of a plan - 100 + years on. 

Your dead right, and every time it floods people move out and a lot come to Chiang Mai. It should have not been made the largest city in Thailand in the first place. One bad storm coming from Japan could wipe it out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Nonthaburi right now....raining as hard as I have ever seen. This storm will not quit. Moving important papers to second floor, cutting power to first floor before I go to bed each night. Stress free retirement my (***)

Nonthaburi is a large area, live far west end and here is dry the sun is shining so far

• Like 1

I wonder how much of that is due to people throwing packages, plastic bags and face masks all over the place and blocking water drains.
A few weeks ago, I stayed in a house, and decided the clean the "klong", which was dry at the time, as I was fed up with the dirt, and the concrete pipe that was suppose to drain the water was completely blocked by garbage.

After cleaning, face masks, plastic plastic, bottle quickly restarted to accumulate dropped by the side of the road...

15 hours ago, rodknock said:

another year, another story why there is flooding.

the government has no idea how to come up with a plane to prevent flooding.

it is either flooding or drought, they have no idea how to handle it.

True to name Knocker, so what would you do if given the responsibility?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Tell me about it.  I am in an area they designated as a "monkey cheek" area.  They have dug deep ponds all over and completely changed the topography so that water will not flow to the rivers.  What will happen is that my area, Bangkrathum (and Phichit and Nakhon Sawan) will be thoroughly flooded in an attempt to hold the water back from Bangkok.  the poor peasants around here have no idea that they have been sacrificed to the Bangkok god..  In a more civilized country, there would be a rebellion over this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The challenges are many with flood control.  First you have to have the land to establish the reservoirs or lakes for run off.  That means that a Thai has to sell his land.  That is a definite issue.

You see this in a lot of countries, Pakistan was almost hilarious when I lived there.  People without a home found a great dry hard ground place to build their dung houses.  They build  them and live a good life for about 6 months until monsoon season hits.  Yep you got it the hard dry ground was actually a waterway that dried up when there was no rain and became one mother of a river.

Every year I enjoyed going to immigration in PT until they moved because in October you never knew how far through the river overflow you would have to walk or where the immigration office was moved to.

• Haha 1