Sadly I feel my time in the LOS is coming to an end

tbl : its not about you or living there. somebody here said “ UK pathetically named” so I  challenged / debunked that with history. I ( too) go there only as a visiotor sinve 2000. I believe term “ world class” is clear; economy, culture, people, language, sports, achievements, nobel prizes, history, inventions, institutes, education….. really, do I need to go on……? 

23 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

tbl : its not about you or living there. somebody here said “ UK pathetically named” so I  challenged / debunked that with history. I ( too) go there only as a visiotor sinve 2000. I believe term “ world class” is clear; economy, culture, people, language, sports, achievements, nobel prizes, history, inventions, institutes, education….. really, do I need to go on……? 

Yes, you do. WE ALL live in the present, not 2 centuries ago when Britain was the greatest power on Earth. Present day Britain has been called the "sick man of Europe" and I agree with that, except Europe IMO isn't doing much better. However, to expand necessitates political discussion and we know that is no longer allowed on here.ulture

In MY EXPERIENCE of Britain

economy- screwed by Gordon

culture- only if that of other countries. I went to the Thames Festival every year and only foreign culture on display- not a single Morris dancer to be seen.

People- London IMO has more foreigners than English. Certainly the hospitals do.

language- which one/ dialect?

sports- lol. Football or football

achievements- indeed in the past. Britain doesn't make much any more.

history- yes, but that's in the past

inventions- yes, in the past when Britain led the world.

institutes- is that institutions? The NHS is a brilliant idea ruined by management greed and incompetence, as I know from 10 years working in it. Banks are just as bad as anywhere in the world I've been. IMO Thai banks are better. Military has been gutted by successive governments since BAOR was abandoned. UK had it's own planes, missiles, V force- all gone and Britain buys from America now. Even the brilliant Harrier gone. BBC is nowhere near the great institution it used to be.

education- havin' a laff are you? Maybe if filthy rich and can go private.

PS. I'm not saying any other western country is better. The rot seems to be widespread, IMO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, Concerned observer said:

I worked out this morning that I have purchased 5 new cars and one secondhand since I have been here. 5 new motorcycles and one secondhand. Purchased 3 condominiums, purchased land through my Thai wife and built two houses. Launched a company from scratch and employed countless Thai staff and sub contractors and paid 10 years of tax and SS - probably more than 75% of Thais will pay in their lifetime. Yet still I am treated like an idiot, ATM and with disrespect.

You have a high opinion of yourself. 

Why didn't you get citizenship? Let me guess, you didn't know you could, you haven't made any effort to integrate, possibly due to your Colonial attitude. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, you do. WE ALL live in the present, not 2 centuries ago when Britain was the greatest power on Earth. Present day Britain has been called the "sick man of Europe" and I agree with that, except Europe IMO isn't doing much better. However, to expand necessitates political discussion and we know that is no longer allowed on here.ulture

In MY EXPERIENCE of Britain

economy- screwed by Gordon

culture- only if that of other countries. I went to the Thames Festival every year and only foreign culture on display- not a single Morris dancer to be seen.

People- London IMO has more foreigners than English. Certainly the hospitals do.

language- which one/ dialect?

sports- lol. Football or football

achievements- indeed in the past. Britain doesn't make much any more.

history- yes, but that's in the past

inventions- yes, in the past when Britain led the world.

institutes- is that institutions? The NHS is a brilliant idea ruined by management greed and incompetence, as I know from 10 years working in it. Banks are just as bad as anywhere in the world I've been. IMO Thai banks are better. Military has been gutted by successive governments since BAOR was abandoned. UK had it's own planes, missiles, V force- all gone and Britain buys from America now. Even the brilliant Harrier gone. BBC is nowhere near the great institution it used to be.

education- havin' a laff are you? Maybe if filthy rich and can go private.

PS. I'm not saying any other western country is better. The rot seems to be widespread, IMO.

Millions of citizens living in the UK and in Europe and thousands more from around the globe wishing to migrate to the European continent would disagree with you.

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

Millions of citizens living in the UK and in Europe and thousands more from around the globe wishing to migrate to the European continent would disagree with you.

The white folk mainly want to leave (like I did).

If you like it there so much, why are you posting on Asean Now?

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

tbl: yes UK is much reduced and declining but STILL possibly the greatest country overall.

and far from “:pathetic” …….

your argument is factual but entirely negative with no positive balance 

Sorry but I didn't find much in the  UK to be positive about, with the exception of the London museums and art galleries, and the Cotswold village I visited was pretty. The palace in Brighton was amazing, but spoiled soon as went outside by the out of control traffic that ruins everything in the UK, IMO. Seems cars take precedence over everything.

I did love the Lake District, but had to go in the off season as completely overwhelmed by tourists in high season. Bad enough when I went so I can't imagine how awful it must be in summer.

Kew gardens were nice.

IMO Thailand is the greatest country overall, but obviously many posters disagree. Never mind, I loved it for as long as I could visit/ live there, and I can't say that about anywhere else.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Of course people that live in abject poverty in <deleted> <deleted> countries want to move to Europe. Who wouldn't?

However, that just means it's better in Europe/ UK, not that Europe/ UK are great. I'd like to be able to get the same deal in Thailand, but they don't give illegal immigrants all the goodies and a path to residency just by living there long enough.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why didn't you get citizenship? Let me guess, you didn't know you could, you haven't made any effort to integrate, possibly due to your Colonial attitude. 

White Man's Burden, Inc. 

18 minutes ago, Concerned observer said:

As someone with a brain mentioned before, I have been a member for many years, but started a new profile last week. Is that a problem for you - do you mind or was I expected to ask you for permission? It is not 'click bait' as you suggest, and having been here for 15 years I have, in the past, loved Thailand and the Thai people but for reasons I do not want to outline my love affair with Thailand has ended. Is that ok with you?

What was your previous name?

I found that the pink cloud lasted 15 years, things got a bit depressing then after 20 years things got great again.

Maybe it's just because you're older and would be miserable anywhere? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I just read through your past posts - and you suggest that I have a high opinion of myself! You cannot even spell Esan - at least I am not illiterate

4 minutes ago, Concerned observer said:

I just read through your past posts - and you suggest that I have a high opinion of myself! You cannot even spell Esan - at least I am not illiterate

No you didn't, who are you?

Some banned guy who is coming back to troll. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Concerned observer said:

I have been a member for many years, but started a new profile last week.

Ahhhh.  Yes.  Of course.  So why not just post with your original profile?  You need a new profile to tell us all you've been here for 15 years, an old timer by golly!

Let me just be blunt - What's your original profile?  Why the charades?

If I was leaving - I'd post with THIS profile!  The one establish in 2009 although I came here in 2007.  Why the slight of hand and hocus-pocus?  Really?
Honestly.  I don't believe you.

And BTW, I don't disagree with your OP - just don't play like you're some 'old timer.'  Why?

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, connda said:

Ahhhh.  Yes.  Of course.  So why not just post with your original profile?  You need a new profile to tell us all you've been here for 15 years, an old timer by golly!

Let me just be blunt - What's your original profile?  Why the charades?

If I was leaving - I'd post with THIS profile!  The one establish in 2009 although I came here in 2007.  Why the slight of hand and hocus-pocus?  Really?
Honestly.  I don't believe you.

Who are you demanding to know what my past profile/s are - do you think that I really care what you believe and what you do not believe - go and get a brain! You state in a post an hour ago that you purchased property, when we all know that in Thailand the only property that you can 'purchase' as a foreigner is a condominium. Yet you live upcountry - so as ever the truth will be that you spend all night hugging a bottle of Leo, complaining about the price of bargirls and chewing tobacco and are married to a moose. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Concerned observer said:

Some more astute observers might suggest it's: Isaan 

Semantics is a game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Concerned observer said:

Having lived and having many friends there I have seen it spelt Isan, Esan, Issan - but never Isarn

The only true spelling and pronunciation will be of a Thai script. 

Any such Euro-romanized smug transliteration has little or nothing to do with anything, even though those who identify with it might convince you otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

foreigners can legally own a 30 year Lease or Usefrucht for Land or Property.

they can also legally control ( hold) land/ property through a thai property development company.

who freakin’ cares how thai names are spelled by foreigners ?

thailand “great” for the simple cheap safe idyllic tropical lifestyle & relaxed people culture buddhism.

the truly Great Modern Countries (Overall) are UK / USA/ Russia/ China/ France/Germany/Japan.

.the old Great (Super) Powers……. only USA a superpower now……

in the Ancient World the Greats were : Egypt - Sumer - Harrapa- China- Greece-Rome-Persia. 

only China survives today as the oldest continuous advanced civilization & people.

and kindly cease this nasty undeserving/unworthy questioning harassment of the new member id….. 

who are you exactly to be telling him what he should do ….. that ‘s rhetorical btw…..

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Did you go to Scotland? 

It's nice when not raining sideways. 

Yes I did go to Scotland on a visit in the 70s and it wasn't raining. I got to watch the military Tattoo in the Edinburgh Castle for free because I knew the guardsmen on duty. It was very entertaining, and especially so when a young elephant with the Sri Lankan contingent decided to urinate. It was on the upper part of the parade ground at the back, and the tide of urine washed down through the entire massed parade. Who would have thought a young elephant could hold such a large amount of urine!

Other than that, it was quite scenic outside the city.

19 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The only true spelling and pronunciation will be of a Thai script. 

Any such Euro-romanized smug transliteration has little or nothing to do with anything, even though those who identify with it might convince you otherwise. 

Given there is no direct translation of Thai to English, IMO any English spelling of a Thai word is correct as long as others understand the meaning of the word.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry but I didn't find much in the  UK to be positive about, with the exception of the London museums and art galleries, and the Cotswold village I visited was pretty. The palace in Brighton was amazing, but spoiled soon as went outside by the out of control traffic that ruins everything in the UK, IMO. Seems cars take precedence over everything.

I did love the Lake District, but had to go in the off season as completely overwhelmed by tourists in high season. Bad enough when I went so I can't imagine how awful it must be in summer.

Kew gardens were nice.

IMO Thailand is the greatest country overall, but obviously many posters disagree. Never mind, I loved it for as long as I could visit/ live there, and I can't say that about anywhere else.

I don't want to derail this thread.

But I'm a bit of an American Anglofile, I love your country. 

Yes the weather really sucks big time, but the countryside and the culture is great. Granted a little crowded and super expensive, but I still love it.

You can blame the BBC World Service for a teenage hispanic nerd holed up in his bedroom in the California Central Valley listening on shortwave!

As I recall it was the booming 6175kHz every night

Edited by GinBoy2