Termite problem

croftrobin

In the last few years  I have had to replace all wooden door frames in the house with plastic wood, as the termites were eating all of them.

Now I see they are starting to eat the main doors too.

In the past I used "Chainrite" on beams and they are fine.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for something similar that can be painted on?

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Chaindrite make various paint-on products which will reduce the attractiveness of your termite-food.

You really need to address the problem at source and eliminate the beasties in the nest(s).

There are many "take it back to the nest" products, I've used Termatrix in the past with reasonable success, it supposedly blunts their teeth so the nest starves to death.

Hi Crossy

Did you use this in the foam form or as a powder?

10 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

Hi Crossy

Did you use this in the foam form or as a powder?

This is the stuff we used although not from this seller 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/termatrix-termite-bait-2-active-plus-2-i2772022189-s10079264530.html

Not cheap nor instantly effective (so you need to combine with the contact stuff on your woodwork) but the beasties have not returned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This is the stuff we used although not from this seller 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/termatrix-termite-bait-2-active-plus-2-i2772022189-s10079264530.html

Not cheap nor instantly effective (so you need to combine with the contact stuff on your woodwork) but the beasties have not returned.

I can see one of the packets is the termite bate is the other the stuff that eventually does the damage?

Did it come with a box or did you just buy one elsewhere?

Thanks in advance

There are two packs, one is a cellulose bait the other is the not nice stuff. You mix the two with a specific amount of water and put in the bait boxes.

Video instructions were included.

We got it all as a kit with bait boxes, you need to check with the seller if boxes are included with his kit, if not they are readily available on Lazada.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There are two packs, one is a cellulose bait the other is the not nice stuff. You mix the two with a specific amount of water and put in the bait boxes.

Video instructions were included.

We got it all as a kit with bait boxes, you need to check with the seller if boxes are included with his kit, if not they are readily available on Lazada.

Crossy

How long did you leave the boxes up for?

A few weeks?

9 hours ago, croftrobin said:

Crossy

How long did you leave the boxes up for?

A few weeks?

It took several weeks to finally kill off the beasties. Initially there's an apparent increase in activity in the bait boxes as they find the delicious cellulose and take it back to the nest (you have to keep topping up the boxes) then almost overnight they stop coming.

We do have an underground dosing system that protects the house itself but it doesn't do the outbuildings where this infestation was located.

• Like 1

Over 20 plus years ago I stayed at a wooden bungalow resort in Samui and the owner used to dunk rags in used engine oil and wrap them around the concrete posts/stilts of all the bungalows. there were termite mounds in close proximity but never made it up the posts..... Ever......................................The owner, a Thai biochemist and life long friend is a bit of a maverick, to say the least...........................................................I'm not suggesting you should employ this technique (old rags n all!!), but according to the net, it is a 'thing' and your property may well not be on stilts anyways...................................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bojo said:

the owner used to dunk rags in used engine oil and wrap them around the concrete posts/stilts of all the bungalows.

I'm sure there's a clause somewhere in your fire insurance policy discouraging that. ????

Using prophylactic treatment like Chaindrite or borax is not effective. Brushing or spraying simply don't give you sufficient penetration into the wood. At most you get 2 mm penetration and that is from dipping for long duration. Termites will eat the wood core and you only notice when the wood crumble and expose the damage. You really need hard wood or pressure treated door frame. Eliminating the source and the nest with soil treatment is a good advise. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bojo said:

Over 20 plus years ago I stayed at a wooden bungalow resort in Samui and the owner used to dunk rags in used engine oil and wrap them around the concrete posts/stilts of all the bungalows. there were termite mounds in close proximity but never made it up the posts..... Ever......................................The owner, a Thai biochemist and life long friend is a bit of a maverick, to say the least...........................................................I'm not suggesting you should employ this technique (old rags n all!!), but according to the net, it is a 'thing' and your property may well not be on stilts anyways...................................

Sump oil was the way to go with timber fence posts back home. Fill the hole with it before putting the post in.

• Like 1

Get a professional pest exterminator as you will never get rid of them by yourself with baits here and there. It will require careful diagnosis (nest finding is essential in this). I come from Australia where the termites are like heavyweight MMA fighters OMG!!! ... I've seen many many infestations in houses I've renovated. Unless you find the nest you're just wasting your money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tropposurfer said:

Get a professional pest exterminator as you will never get rid of them by yourself with baits here and there. It will require careful diagnosis (nest finding is essential in this). I come from Australia where the termites are like heavyweight MMA fighters OMG!!! ... I've seen many many infestations in houses I've renovated. Unless you find the nest you're just wasting your money.

No problem with what you say but they have the good products here that have been banned in Australia. Never need to spray under your slab every year in the old days, one treatment and that was it.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Using prophylactic treatment like Chaindrite or borax is not effective. Brushing or spraying simply don't give you sufficient penetration into the wood. At most you get 2 mm penetration and that is from dipping for long duration. Termites will eat the wood core and you only notice when the wood crumble and expose the damage. You really need hard wood or pressure treated door frame. Eliminating the source and the nest with soil treatment is a good advise. 

Are you stating termites are unable to penetrate hard wood ?

I appear to have killed the nest which was attacking the window frames (used bleach on the ground where they were streaming). Now our worry is not the house but our three beautiful mango trees.

Professional came & sprayed (B2000), as well as drilling through the floor in three places. But a week later, I found more in one tree. He came back & sprayed more thoroughly, no charge.

Says we'll need him to come back every six months. I'd rather have a pro who finds the nest(s).

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Correct. I didn't even know I had termites until they ate my kitchen units, skirting boards, door frames and ceilings. Cosmetically, everything looked ok, it was the permanent buzzing noise that gave them away. Everything softwood, woodchip or plasterboard had to be replaced.

I experianced  similar problems with termites . I replaced the door frames  with best quality and touch wood forgive the pun , all is fine after some years . Price of the quality frames were around 3000 baht . Price of the frames eaten by termites were 900 baht 

I did eradicate a termites nest under the house yet they are still around if you leave any soft wood hanging around . 

I think they are impossible to be rid of them . 

43 minutes ago, itsari said:

I think they are impossible to be rid of them . 

Correct.  New build has no wood in it.  Previous 2 builds had wood & termites.  Don't want termites, don't feed them.

• Like 1