Positives and Negatives of Thailand (from Western perspective)

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My list,

Pros

1. Easy no strings sex, with a wide selection of attractive partners at very reasonable costs.

2. Cheap housing & utils..

3. Warm weather all year.

Cons

1. Yearly immigration extension.

OP made a big list, most of the items don't affect my life in any way plus or minus.

PS. I drink the tap water in Chiang Mai and never had a problem.

Attractive partners once a night. Immigration extension once a year, (plus 90 day jobbies) = 4 times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

Together we used my electric jack-hammer to break up the concrete at the back, and dig out and build new drainage and manholes, later she concreted it over and she tiled the whole thing.

I've heard of getting freaky in Thailand but this tops them all

5 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I think I'd go crazy if I lived alone here but thank God I don't. My wife is under half my age, is slim yet curvy and to me very desirable and beautiful. Most importantly Semper Fi applies toi her - incredibly and fiercely loyal and cares for me like I have in previous marriages never experienced. She is smart too and a darn good partner, I'm now 75, we've been married for just 3 weeks short of  10 years. We live on my little UK pension here having sold up in the UK when I retired in 2015 at nearly 70 and sold the house, car, boat, caravan and moved here. We bought a car, a truck, 2 motor-bikes (since sold one) and a detached house outside BKK which we extended and modernised adding 2 more bedrooms and 2 more bathrooms and a UK style kitchen. I did the carcase pipework and all the electrics having seen our builder's electrics decided to keep safe and do it to UK standards. Everything else including aircon in every room was done by "professionals" here. 

Since then we have built another single storey 2 room extension together, her sisters pitched in to mix the concrete for the slab and the stanchion bases, I spread and levelled it and that was the only timewe had any assistance. I cut and welded the steel frame and roof steels and fitted them, and we clad the walls together in 8mm Sheera board. We did the roof together - our only mistake because we got a flashing leak but the roof sheeting was cheap and is too fragile even with crawl-boards and we'll change it to metal sheet next year we think. 

She was the one to lay the floor tiles which I cut for her using a diamond saw (she only leter learned to use that being scared of it).

Togther we taped and filled and sanded the ceilings and walls and my wife painted everything while I did plumbing for pump and 2 x 1000 litre tanks and all the electrics for the extension as well as plumbed in a 2nd washing machine for her sisters to use. 

Together we used my electric jack-hammer to break up the concrete at the back, and dig out and build new drainage and manholes, later she concreted it over and she tiled the whole thing.

The point of all this - if you have a good partner or wife willing to work with you - you have it all for Thailand. I am hopeless at languages but she is smart and has learned to read, write and speak English and in the translation stakes I can rely on her fully. I mend things still - washing machine, furniture, certain car repairs like changing brakes etc and she is showing an interest in tools. She made a beautiful wooden picket fence and gate across the front porch area all varnished up and made by using electric power tools. This prevents our 4 big dogs eating visitors as soon as they enter the front giving us a chance to shove them into an enclosure. More and more as I age she is becoming my builder under my direction.

We are a team and that makes it all work.

that's a fantastic post.

where did you find her?

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Really  depends on how "you"  are

I dont  feel any need to mix  with people, dont need  nightlife, women, drugs. alcohol etc

I dont feel  any need to "thank" Thailand for letting me stay, I  have no love of Thai  culture or  people,  or  people in general, Thailand isnt special in any way I can see.

Best thing, no tax enforcement for income, worst thing total negligence from the entire population of  supposed Budhists who  have no  pride in anything except  unimportant things that cant be discussed..

To me Thais  seem  like a Borg  collective, well I aint being assimilated.

do you think you could find a country with a population you can feel warmer towards? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Really  depends on how "you"  are

I dont  feel any need to mix  with people, dont need  nightlife, women, drugs. alcohol etc

I dont feel  any need to "thank" Thailand for letting me stay, I  have no love of Thai  culture or  people,  or  people in general, Thailand isnt special in any way I can see.

Best thing, no tax enforcement for income, worst thing total negligence from the entire population of  supposed Budhists who  have no  pride in anything except  unimportant things that cant be discussed..

To me Thais  seem  like a Borg  collective, well I aint being assimilated.

Why are you here?  You sound like a miserable person.  I am grateful not to know you.

• Haha 1