Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

5 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

So in your view,  one person's word is all that is needed is it?  I don't think so.  Why throw the gun in the pond, odd that.  Why tie up the man if he is unconscious, odd that.  What is the relationship between the man and the wife all about, odd that.  Lots of unanswered questions here.  

I would have acted in a simular fashion put him down, get the weapon away from him, tie him up to control him or he could have put the gun wielding robber in the pond and gone to bed.

• Like 1

This should be told to the world.

What if that Swiss guy got killed. He would have fought for his life! 

And gets screwed by being a retiree in Thailand . 
yup! Welcome to Thailand !!!!

Hopefully the Court system is not as ridiculous as that Police bloke 

• Like 2

So , the Swiss guy 10 years older than the armed intruder  , manages to take the gun of him and then beat the sh*t out of him in a “furious fist & foot fight” ' ties up the intruder and then goes and wakes up the wife. What is the name of that coffee , I need to get some of that. ????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"Police in Udon Thani in Thailand's north east have promised justice"

A contradiction in terms ??

I didn’t see any justice the last 2 times I have been stopped in UT for being in the wrong lane at a junction other than 400 being reduced to 200, the same junction the same police and the same storey.

Sure that if I am stupid enough to go the same route it will be same same.

There will be a lot of people watching this case very closely to see the outcome. If it goes the wrong way for the expat the Thais will be shooting themselves in the foot again. However, it will depend whether there was any hanky-panky business on behalf of the wife!

1 hour ago, club said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?   You're claiming that it's "common sense" that, in almost any country, an off duty police officer killing an intruder to his premises would be processed "with no questions asked"?    Could you give an example of a country where that happens, please?

USA. If someone breaks into your house and threatens you with a firearm, You have every right to kill the MF.

Yes, I know that but that is a lot different from the intruder being killed "with no questions asked"!   There would be a lot of sodding questions asked!   

My comment was not about the legality, it was about your ridiculous claim that "there would be no questions asked".   That is false.

• Like 1

Cannot see anything the Swiss having done wrong. But be careful and let common sense and purity of law rule over this case. 

Should the Swiss be locked for life for murder of a poor little Thai farmer, it might backfire big time - the world is watching! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, club said:

What would happened to a Thai intruder with a loaded gun breaking into a Thai policeman's house? The Thai intruder would be shot dead with no questions asked. As it should be 

A Thai policeman in Bangkok emptied his magazine into a guy he found on a window ledge trying to break into his flat several stories up. The burglar who was killed was no threat to cop's life at that moment and firing all 17 rounds seemed a bit excessive.  But nothing happened to the cop of course.  

The Thai guy deserves all he got.

I wonder how the wife slept through a vicious brawl in her kitchen that included a shot being fired.Her husband had to wake her up to call the police .

I know Thai women like to sleep soundly ...but ?????

12 minutes ago, Almer said:

I didn’t see any justice the last 2 times I have been stopped in UT for being in the wrong lane at a junction other than 400 being reduced to 200, the same junction the same police and the same storey.

Sure that if I am stupid enough to go the same route it will be same same.

You admit to being in the wrong lane ?

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If this Swiss man is charged with any offence at all, the Thais can kiss goodbye to attracting the high rolling Foreign people that they are so desperately seeking.

The potential 1 Million or so Digital Nomads Etc Etc Etc, will just say " <deleted> that, if I cannot defend myself , and what is mine, without prosecution."

...if they are that wealthy, then a situation like this couldn't possible arise, let alone deal with it.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Seriously, prospective tourists read Thai newspapers before booking a trip to Udon?

dont be so literal... of course they dont however they do scan major news items and this if indeed the case is what it seems  to be ,would no doubt be reported  as such in major media outlets as it would be somewhat controversial news that a man disarms a robber who intrudes on his property with a loaded gun , protecting both himself and his property and then faces charges  for doing so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Seriously, prospective tourists read Thai newspapers before booking a trip to Udon?

Oh,so you think something like this would only remain as a local news report and have no implications for Thailand and it’s tourism industry,particularly where the elderly Farang was prosecuted for self defence against an armed burglar? Please speak up,it’s difficult to hear you talking from the seventh planet (you’ll obviously have to look that up..) ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

She looks disappointed maybe the wrong outcome of the fight?

How can you tell how she looks disappointed ???...  some comical bias against Thai women kicking in here...  

The Swiss guy should be given a statue and his wife the be questioned about her relationship with the intruder.

Making the judgement of the wife based on your own flawed choices of past ? - project much ?

So why the European is arrested?

He killed someone... it requires investigation, Duh !!!

I think some guys think that because a Thai woman is involved that it must be a set up... I don’t know how they’ve been damaged in the past, but their experiences doesn’t project onto every situation with a Thai female.  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Almer said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You admit to being in the wrong lane ?

There were no lane markings and both times I was amongst several stopped.

Sounds like one of those ‘typical’ Thai cop shakedowns where they know they can pocket a little quick money from flawed road layouts.

I’ve been caught out in the wrong lane in the past. Turning left, from the second lane because a bin lorry was parked on the inside (left most lane) at the junction.

In those situations (which to be honest are very rare), I am very politely stubborn and refuse to accept any fault - sometimes works in my favour, sometimes doesn’t... mostly it works in my favour.

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Oh,so you think something like this would only remain as a local news report and have no implications for Thailand and it’s tourism industry,particularly where the elderly Farang was prosecuted for self defence against an armed burglar? Please speak up,it’s difficult to hear you talking from the seventh planet (you’ll obviously have to look that up..) ???? 

If it is a case of self defense , I am quite sure that the Swiss guy will not face any prosecution 

• Like 1

Is there no such thing as self defence in Thailand so if an intruder breaks into my house I’m not allowed to defend myself but he can kill me with his gun . That’s why the adverts always start with 

“ Amazing Thailand “ nothing ceases to amaze me !

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, seajae said:

when you are attacked in your own home with a gun weilding robber you are entitled to defend yourself, in any other country it would be recognised as self defence, if a thai had done it, it would also be looked at as self defence but because a farang that was 10 years older than the robber did it he is being charged, really shows the anti farang views/laws they have here. 

Yes , This completely lays bare the ugly truth about all the Xenophobia and Racism that is rampant within the Thai borders toward Foreigners ( farang )

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How can you tell how she looks disappointed ???...  some comical bias against Thai women kicking in here...  

Making the judgement of the wife based on your own flawed choices of past ? - project much ?

He killed someone... it requires investigation, Duh !!!

I think some guys think that because a Thai woman is involved that it must be a set up... I don’t know how they’ve been damaged in the past, but their experiences doesn’t project onto every situation with a Thai female.  

It has been stated that the Thai Woman was friends with the deceased and that he was attracted to her .

The interest in her is because of her relationship with the deceased , rather than what Country she comes from . 

If she was in a relationship with the deceased , then this case may not be a robbery gone wrong 

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I know that but that is a lot different from the intruder being killed "with no questions asked"!   There would be a lot of sodding questions asked!   

My comment was not about the legality, it was about your ridiculous claim that "there would be no questions asked".   That is false.

If someone broke  into your house and held  a gun to your head or your wife and kids heads. Your liberal attitude would change quickly . You would probably ask nicely to please put the gun down. You would not like the results. 

• Sad 2

Just now, Cake Monster said:
6 hours ago, seajae said:

when you are attacked in your own home with a gun weilding robber you are entitled to defend yourself, in any other country it would be recognised as self defence, if a thai had done it, it would also be looked at as self defence but because a farang that was 10 years older than the robber did it he is being charged, really shows the anti farang views/laws they have here. 

Yes , This completely lays bare the ugly truth about all the Xenophobia and Racism that is rampant within the Thai borders toward Foreigners ( farang )

It doesn’t do any such thing......  

Do you guys really expect That the Police will just shrug their shoulders and walk away without any investigation ?

I agree, this 'completely lays bare the ugly truth about all the Xenophobia and Racism’ but not in the same manner you suggest, it highlights the Xenophobia and Racism of some of the posters who fail to recognise that an investigation has to take place..... 

• Like 2