Video: Motorcyclists narrowly escape trouble after elephant charge

webfact

Reminds me when I was working in Kelantan in the 90's. As a short-cut from our project office. we could access the main road via a company constructed steepish, winding track that was bounded by a rock face and a steep drop into a jungly mess of trees and bushes.

After working late I headed up the track in my car and coming round a bend, in my headlights, suddenly spotted an elephant up against the rock face, just a few yards away. Luckily it remained static and I passed it without incident. Reversing and turning was not an option, especially at night. At the top of the track we had a guard post and one of the security guys was extremely agitated when he gave me the news about an elephant on the track. I mentioned I had passed it and thanks for the news, anyway!! Now, if it had decided to charge the car............gulp!!

A few similar tales on this thread.

Mine was in Tanzania in the early 90's. Driving across the savannah and we were suddenly chased by a drunk bull elephant. (They eat some fruit from the tree and it ferments in their stomach.)

The old jeep could just keep ahead of him until he ran out of steam.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

A few similar tales on this thread.

Mine was in Tanzania in the early 90's. Driving across the savannah and we were suddenly chased by a drunk bull elephant. (They eat some fruit from the tree and it ferments in their stomach.)

The old jeep could just keep ahead of him until he ran out of steam.

The Marula tree, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclerocarya_birrea We used to make moonshine out of it in empty powdered milk tins at boarding school there. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

You recognise the trees? Wow!

nah, the long straight road, which is just like Khao Ya, plus it is fairly common for wild elephants to come out on to that road, seen them myself... the power of deduction, and all that ???? 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I remember a few years ago on my way to Chiang Rai I stopped my motorcycle for a rest on the side of the road. Not long after stopping I saw a Water Buffalo running down my side of the road full speed.. I could have ran out of his way but I loved my bike too much so I stood in front of my bike and shut my eyes until the Buffalo passed  One of the most stupidest things I have ever done.

There is a third F added to the flight or fight scenario.  It is frozen and recognized by many medical professionals.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

Why allow motocycles in National Parks anyway ?

The elephant believes it is HIS  own home, and he is right.

Beautiful beast

National Parks are designated areas, not some fenced in zoo, many of them have major roads running through them.