UK Man Imprisoned for 25 Years in UAE.

KhaoYai

Enough is enough.  Their draconian laws are up to them but I can't support them anymore.  I've just used up all of my air miles and booked my last flight with Etihad.  I will lose my status, no longer be able to gain lounge access etc. etc. but so be it.  I use CBD oil myself in my fight against cancer - it is totally harmless, its a cannabis extract, legal in many countries and it doesn't get you high.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10083977/British-man-jailed-25-YEARS-Dubai-friends-vape-containing-cannabis-oil-car.html

Police in Dubai are thought to have singled out Hood after monitoring WhatsApp messages and looking for key words related to drugs. A week before his arrest the friend who owned the vape liquid sent a message telling Hood he had mistakenly left it behind in his car.

I thought WhatsApp messaging was 100% private and impenetrable ????

This is an outrageous story and certainly lends to hesitation about every visiting such countries....  

I really feel the Embassies should be more active in protecting its citizens when facing such issues, particularly where the penalties are so harsh, the proof so questionable and the offence so insignificant. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought WhatsApp messaging was 100% private and impenetrable ????

This is an outrageous story and certainly lends to hesitation about every visiting such countries....  

I really feel the Embassies should be more active in protecting its citizens when facing such issues, particularly where the penalties are so harsh, the proof so questionable and the offence so insignificant. 

They should sanction ministers and not allow them or their families visas. 

11 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Police in Dubai are thought to have singled out Hood after monitoring WhatsApp

I thought WhatsApp was encrypted.

Some years ago Etisalat, one of the two mobile phone companies in the UAE, distributed an unexplained software "update" to its subscribers.  It was widely speculated that it was some sort of surveillance software. Perhaps it can circumvent or break the WhatsApp encryption.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, OJAS said:

Some of us may have booked our last flights with Emirates as well.

Sadly not enough will care and the losses to both airlines will be insignificant but I feel better knowing that I'm no longer a customer. Etihad is owned by the government of Abu Dhabi and Emirates is owned by the government of Dubai. People flying with either of them are (probably unknowingly) giving financial support to their draconian regimes.

1 minute ago, fangless said:

So what is your position regarding Thailand and it's policies?

I don't support them but I can hardly boycott my wife!  Don't confuse CBD oil with drugs.  CBD oil is a harmless, non hallucinogenic cannabis extract and its legal in many countries - including Thailand I believe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't support them but I can hardly boycott my wife!  Don't confuse CBD oil with drugs.  CBD oil is a harmless, non hallucinogenic cannabis extract and its legal in many countries - including Thailand I believe.

Where did I mention CBD oil?  I asked about "financial support to their draconian regimes."

8 hours ago, fangless said:

Where did I mention CBD oil?  I asked about "financial support to their draconian regimes."

The topic is about CBD oil. But to answer your specific point, I give as little financial support as possible. I addition, to the best of my knowledge I don't buy anything from a state owned enterprise.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The topic is about CBD oil. But to answer your specific point, I give as little financial support as possible. I addition, to the best of my knowledge I don't buy anything from a state owned enterprise.

So it was just rhetoric!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Will be interesting to hear the result of his appeal next week. 

......appeal next week where lawyers will argue he was bullied into signing the confession and prove there is no evidence that the vape liquid was his.

Any update on how the appeal went for this poor chap?