PM asked to review appointment of army general to take charge of pandemic in south

webfact

The crux of the matter in this, and in most of Thailands problems are, what hs said in the last sentence.

"

“My point of contention is that the prime minister is adopting ‘security as the first priority’ to deal with a public health issue which, I think, is inappropriate,” said the government MP, adding “I have no problem with the individual (General Nattaphon, former secretary-general of the National Security Council), but I have problem with the logic.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The PM only appoints his cronies it’s called watching his own back you always make sure you take care of any potential enemy by keeping them very close to you 

Or finding a reason to despatch them to the "restive south"

I'll bet the general was dead impressed when the postings branch rang him up to tell him where he was going!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Don't you know that Thai Generals are true Renaissance Men equally able at fighting a war, running a golf course, or serving as art critics...

Problems with a pandemic? Put a Thai General on it - problem solved.

What "war" have any of these generals fought in or led?  ???? 

Unless you're talking about fighting the student dissidents (past and present) ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The PM only appoints his cronies it’s called watching his own back you always make sure you take care of any potential enemy by keeping them very close to you 

And your allies even closer.

1 hour ago, HaoleBoy said:

What "war" have any of these generals fought in or led?  ???? 

Unless you're talking about fighting the student dissidents (past and present) ... 

No war whatsoever. But they are equally able to perform any task under the sun, didn't say that they would be any good at it, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I would not be unduly worried, i very much doubt the General will actually spend anytime down there, it will all be done 'remotely' from army barracks and army golf courses in BKK.

If he is anything of a military man,  and many of them are, he will do a much belter job than any politician. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

That's two unqualified generals in charge of a pandemic which is making good money for certain connected people. If this General Nattaphon and the unelected PM, another general, had any sort of decent education, then why did they join the army?

A marked lack of knowledge and appreciation on this post of how Generals get to the top, even here.  Most of them in Thailand, on their way up to General rank,. have attended and passed advanced staff college training in the US, UK and Australia, not an easy task.  They are trained and experienced in strategy planning, execution of a mission and objective and leadership, just what is needed down south and elsewhere, Yes of course some are better than others and some are low life chancers, just as in every Army, and they are also somewhat held back by Thai culture and tradition, but in almost every case, they are much more 'qualified' to deliver a result than any politician.     

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A general to deal with the virus outbreak, a construction worker as head of the health service... 

makes perfect sense.

Yes, of course it does. 

Much more logical than a qualified medical/health team.????

The upside of having institutional militarism [and experts in every field] running through every aspect of society. ????