BTS launches free rides for points after cancelling monthly deal

webfact

bts.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

BTS Skytrain rolled out its new promotion in which members can use points to redeem free rides as a “more flexible” option for passengers, the company said Monday, after it stopped offering bundles of fixed-price tickets with a one-month validity.

Members of Rabbit Rewards, BTS’s e-wallet service, can use their points collected from purchasing BTS tickets and items from participating merchants to redeem free rides, said Surapong Laoha-Unya, president of BTS operator Bangkok Mass Transit System. 

The promotion will run from November 1 until October 31 next year, with double points awarded in the first three months.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/34053/bts-launches-free-rides-for-points-after-cancelling-monthly-deal/

ti.jpg

50 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

why cant we just have an oyster, octopus, EZ link travel type card for ease of use of public transport, as many other major cities have?

There have been a number of attempts to get a common ticket in place, all have failed for "commercial reasons" (politics in reality).

The project with the best chance of actually getting into widespread service is the use of contactless credit cards for travel (EMV for Transit). The main issue at present is the small number of such cards in circulation, but it works well in London, Singapore and an increasing number of other locations.

I understand that a system will be piloting on the Blue Line (MRT) later this year. Some users may already have noted some rather horrible protruberances on various Blue Line gates which will house the EMV readers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

why cant we just have an oyster, octopus, EZ link travel type card for ease of use of public transport, as many other major cities have?

Because they are abused. Also the BTS, Underground and busses are all run by different companies in Bangkok. In London they are all run by the state.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

What is the difference between an Oyster card and the card the BTS or MRT supply?

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I'd like to keep my registering to a minimum these days. How about I pay cash and you give me a card good for a month.

Why not pay cash and have a card valid until the money runs out? Then top it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

How about half price fares for everyone over 60 on the  BTS just like I have on the MRT ? As it stands now, only Thais get hallf price cards for BTS rides...if MRT can do it why not make it universal.

I found out the hard way. My wife bought 2 cards and gave me one. I topped up with 500 Baht, went through the gate and was stopped immediately. The security guard just confiscated my card with the 500 baht despite my protests.

12 minutes ago, petedk said:

I found out the hard way. My wife bought 2 cards and gave me one. I topped up with 500 Baht, went through the gate and was stopped immediately. The security guard just confiscated my card with the 500 baht despite my protests.

Why?  I'm confused 

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

There have been a number of attempts to get a common ticket in place, all have failed for "commercial reasons" (politics in reality).

The project with the best chance of actually getting into widespread service is the use of contactless credit cards for travel (EMV for Transit). The main issue at present is the small number of such cards in circulation, but it works well in London, Singapore and an increasing number of other locations.

I understand that a system will be piloting on the Blue Line (MRT) later this year. Some users may already have noted some rather horrible protruberances on various Blue Line gates which will house the EMV readers.

They trialed contactless payments on the airport bus to Don Muang a couple of years ago, I believe.

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They trialed contactless payments on the airport bus to Don Muang a couple of years ago, I believe.

Did it live??

There have been all sorts of tests and trials, the only system that really works outside of the mass-transit railways is Rabbit. But of course, that's not government sponsored so ...

Some time ago I was on the original design team of "Mangmoom" (called the Thai National Card at the time). I nearly got physically ejected from OTP for suggesting that, with the limited budget available, we should buy or buy in to Rabbit. Result is where we are now :whistling: 

Meanwhile, down in KL SPAD were in the same position, but they bought the working Touch-n-Go system ...

I didn't suggest that, someone with a brain though of it. I did however finalise the Business Rules ???? 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, tonray said:

How did they sell two cards to your wife ?

I guess she registered for both. I didn't ask as I wasn't there.

I wasn't with her when I got stopped. I protested about the 500 Baht, but the security guard wouldn't refund me. I was with about 10 Thai people so I didn't make a bigger issue out of it.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

I guess she registered for both. I didn't ask as I wasn't there

I only ask because that would be a great way to defraud the system every 60+ year old could get multiple cards for family members. She probably sweet talked them..ha ha ha

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

I only ask because that would be a great way to defraud the system every 60+ year old could get multiple cards for family members. She probably sweet talked them..ha ha ha

I know now how they caught me. A lamp lights up as you go through the gate and the different colours (blue, red or white) depend on what type of card you use.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:58 AM, Crossy said:

EMV Contactless is already in use on Bangkok Bus, which is most surprising considering the aging bus and everything else

• Like 1