Nov 1st: Quarantine free countries named - one night must be in SHA+ or AQ hotel - curfew lifted, bars stay shut

webfact

How about they make this simple.
I know they won't but you can dream.

Forego using their nifty new 500 baht tax as a "tourism fund" temporarily and use it to cover COVID insurance.

Then do away with the COVID entry insurance.

There won't be much money needed on fully vaccinated foreigners tested pre flight.

Full vaccination greatly reduces hospitalization even if infection occurs.

For the same reason, use a rapid flow test at the airport that will detect the majority of positive cases immediately.

Negative....have a nice holiday.

Positive.... recheck with a PCR test with quarantine until test results come back.

There may still be a small number of cases that get through amongst fully vaxxed people who were tested days ago.

But it would be trivial compared to the 9,000 or so daily cases officially counted in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is an ‘interesting flaw’ in the requirements - especially for those who wish to travel out for a few days or a week... and then return (within the 21 days).

I’m wondering if as usual the wording has been clumsy and they really mean, must not have been in any of the countries not on the list of 46 (green countries) for the past 21 days which would make a lot more sense. 

Thus: IF you have been traveled from Thailand, to the UAE for a week, return to Thailand and spending 1 night in an SHA+ quarantine is fine (just a guess). 

I am doing just that so let's see.....

Not a good idea to let people come from the UK, now that delta is competely uncontrolled in the 4th wave there with delta plus making big inroads.  

But clearly the political agenda is let in as many tourists as possible, declare themselves saviours of the nation and announce a general election before the 4th wave takes off in Thailand, as it surely will.  The remobilisation of idled tourism sector workers may present a greater threat than the tourists, except of course those Brits who will be bringing delta plus with them.  

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LoudHailer said:

I want to go directly home to my Bangkok apartment immediately after my Covid test at the airport. I’m happy to stay there until my Covid tests are received. 

The “one night in a hotel” caper is just another revenue earner for the troubled hotel industry. 

Same B.S. new name different day. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, JayLeno said:

Hi! Quick question, I want to go back home - one of the 46 countries - how many days should the insurance cover? 

As long as the maximum period your visa will allow including possible extensions or your confirmed return date.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

Sounds like a boring holiday for people to come to Thailand when no bars, clubs etc open.  Part of the holiday experience is relaxing, having a few drinks and enjoying the atmosphere.  A huge demographic just won't come.  

Families, non-drinkers and others wishing for sight-seeing tours etc may come, which I suppose is a start.  But I doubt many will.  

When will the government relax and open up the nightlife?   We surely must be heading towards 70%+ vaccination targets soon?  

38.74% fully vaccinated as of today:

1472356059_Screenshot(366).png.8db5d88d2c7c93d1910bd5d1934d8b09.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for that link/clarification.  So, apparently, it's medical insurance that includes cover for Covid treatment.  It is not specifically just Covid Insurance that would exclude other medical treatment.

Yes, the way it always should have been instead of having a separate covid only insurance unlike anywhere else in the World.....

Edited by aussiexpat

15 minutes ago, LoudHailer said:

I want to go directly home to my Bangkok apartment immediately after my Covid test at the airport. I’m happy to stay there until my Covid tests are received. 

The “one night in a hotel” caper is just another revenue earner for the troubled hotel industry. 

I don’t think the ‘arrival PCR test’ will be carried out at the airport - I guess they want to avoid bottle-necks. 

I have read that the SHA+ / AQ hotels will provide transport and the PCR test.

When Sandboxing in Phuket: I arrived at 1pm, took the PCR test at the Airport - I received the result at 9pm.

I wouldn’t want to hang around the airport for 8 hours waiting for a result. 

The 'one night in a hotel’ caper is a better option than waiting at the airport IMO.

Of course, as other countries are doing - it would be much easier just to do away with the hotel quarantine and do an arrival test and be done with it. 

Thailand of course is frightened to death that IF someone tests positive they won’t be able to track them. 

Thats easy enough to handle - Have people list address / contact number: they can’t leave until they receive a negative result. 

Make it a criminal offence that IF someone tests positive and they are not at their specified location.

Thailand legislates against the lowest common denominator instead of sampling processes for the masses. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If the data continues to improve daily as It is now then likelihood is there will be further relaxations come December in preparation for the busiest time of the year which was always the main target and when they should reach those vaccinated target of 70% fully vaxed. 

They are doing it in phases, much like other countries did. In fact they are probably moving quicker than most countries did but ironically people who were calling them reckless etc before are now complaining about the bars not being open or having to have a further test, so they won’t now attract enough tourists. 

They want to be in a position to be able to get as many tourists over for Xmas and New Year. Doing it this way gives them a start to see if a spike occurs or if the death numbers continue to fall. 

It’s a delicate balance. They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t because some people are

born critics of any decision that is made which doesn’t suit a particular opinion.  

Quite a considered response @Kadilo especially the bit about "delicate balance" which UK has spectacularly messed up on!

I for one hope you're right, but whilst not wishing to be one of the "born critics of any decision", I fear that the forward thinking might not be as clear as you've outlined.  I would love to be proven wrong and you right......we shall see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

All intending travellers should note that when coming from one of the 46 listed countries there is a provision that they must have resided in that country for at least the previous 21 days.

So any expat who needs to travel outside of Thailand for a shorter period will not be allowed to return.

At least that is how I read it.

for resident 21 days not needed

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for that link/clarification.  So, apparently, it's medical insurance that includes cover for Covid treatment.  It is not specifically just Covid Insurance that would exclude other medical treatment.

I have world travel insurance with my bank(Barclays). 

It says that I am covered for treatment if I catch covid whilst on my trip as well as cover for other medical expenses.  I'm hoping this is OK.

Just now, geisha said:

Also, now it’s better/ easier to go to Bangkok, than to do the Sandbox 7 nights ? Doesn’t make sense to me . Why is it 1 day full quarantine in BKK and 1 test ,  and 7 days SHA+ in Phuket plus 2 tests ???? 

because some wont qualify to do bkk an one night and only qualify for the sandbox

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a lot in my opinion; who wants to come here to uncertain rules, polluted air and you can't even get a drink in a Bar ?  That's not a Holiday is it ?

I think they are aiming more on the Families of SE Asia. Then the bars are not a big thing.

The Thai Government seem to be following similar guidelines to some other country's, as I was looking at Cyprus, yet when a post from another group said she had failed her PCR test she spent the rest of her holiday in a Cypriot Asylum detention center, giving it a miss as travel from Thailand is a Gray area invite only....     

1 hour ago, LoudHailer said:

I doubt you will be tested at the airport to avoid overcrowding and delays.

8 hours ago, volsfan said:

Wait until the details come out, and you find that arrival after 1800 or some such means you get tested in the morning only and then have to stay another 24 hours minimum waiting for the results. That is exactly how the current "14 day" quarantine is actually 16! And probably at 3k per night!

Phuket Sandbox flight arrivals have all been around 1230 with test on arrival and results have been received at the hotel during the evening, after which one is free to go out. I have not read one complaint about results arriving late. So I cannot see any reason why anyone would be made to stay any longer than one night.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

I have world travel insurance with my bank(Barclays). 

It says that I am covered for treatment if I catch covid whilst on my trip as well as cover for other medical expenses.  I'm hoping this is OK.

It will be OK. I found that the best site is thailandpass. go. th. its the Thai Embassy site. 

It says. "Must EXPRESSLY STATE it covers $50.000 in medical expenses INCLUDING covid 19.

One good thing not mentioned is the need to prove and pay in advance for air flights. Maybe now it will be possible to receive the pass before booking flights. 

Ps. They add of course that the Thailandpass website is not yet up and running. - use the COE site. 

• Like 1

From what I read elsewhere, the PCR test should be booked from the hotel with the room, so it would be organised by the hotels.

Hmmm.... should we expect something like: "Sorry Sir! Test result not come yet! You must book an extra night!" ????

6 minutes ago, candide said:

From what I read elsewhere, the PCR test should be booked from the hotel with the room, so it would be organised by the hotels.

Hmmm.... should we expect something like: "Sorry Sir! Test result not come yet! You must book an extra night!" ????

What do they care how long you stay, they already have you locked into this:

5. payment confirmation for no less than a 1-night stay upon arrival at the approved quarantine facilities (Alternative Quarantine – AQ, Organisation Quarantine – OQ, or Alternative Hospital Quarantine – AHQ), or SHA Plus-certified hotel.

• The prepayment should cover both the 1-night accommodation, the required RT-PCR COVID-19 test, and an Antigen Test Kit (ATK).
Edited by aussiexpat

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Not a good idea to let people come from the UK, now that delta is competely uncontrolled in the 4th wave there with delta plus making big inroads.  

But clearly the political agenda is let in as many tourists as possible, declare themselves saviours of the nation and announce a general election before the 4th wave takes off in Thailand, as it surely will.  The remobilisation of idled tourism sector workers may present a greater threat than the tourists, except of course those Brits who will be bringing delta plus with them.  

And not a good idea to let you near your basement keyboard unless your supervised by an adult.

You need to actually realise that the UK is conducting more than 1 million tests a day.

The hospitals have covid patients that are unvaccinated or frail and elderly.

You would be better spending your time telling the anti-vaxxers to go get a jab than getting hysterical and posting absolute rubbish on a Thai expat forum.

You can be guaranteed that Delta plus will be all over Europe as well.

Locking countries, borders and the world down is not sustainable in the long run.

Now say after me "I must learn to get the facts before posting porkie pies."

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't see any SHA+ hotels in Bangkok.

If current AQ hotels have to be used, they made a good deal, provided that tourists will come in higher numbers.They still will have the rooms booked and could even change the one night rate to be higher than what it would be, if booked for 7 days 

I expect to see 5000 THB for 1 night package for low rate hotels.

And, the big question for returning thais, if positive/close contact, where will they send you?

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1