1.2M Baht in Bank for O-A Visa???

I just went to the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website to re-check if they had updated the site to show the required 3M insurance required with the O-A visa, which they already have done. But what really caught me by surprise was this:

7. Applicant must have a bank deposit of
    7.1 no less than 1,200,000 Baht or
    7.2 an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income (pension) of not less than 100,000 Baht, or
    7.3 a deposit account plus a monthly income (pension) totaling not less than 1,200,000 Baht.

In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

I figured this was coming someday, but it still really surprised me. I wouldn’t be surprised if this carries over to the NON-O retirement extensions. ????

Edited by srowndedbyh2o
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

News to me and seen no mention of this change anywhere.  Maybe they've made a cock-up and are confusedly combining the 800K for 6 months and 400K for 6 months together, and getting 1200K, on a 2+2=5 basis.

• Like 1

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.
Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility / Other required documents :

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
    Copy of a certificate of residence (if applicable)

4. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is
    medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a)  Foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
    (b)  Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available,
         the original insurance policy document with 2 copies.

• A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
  • Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand,
    which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.

The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

5. Criminal record
     – Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record
     – verification have to valid for not more than three months and
     – must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only.
     – Online criminal record without authorize signature is unacceptable 

6. Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
    certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis,
    third phase of Syphilis)  (Medical Form — Click here –) 

7.1 no less than 1,200,000 Baht or
    7.2 an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income (pension) of not less than 100,000 Baht, or
    7.3 a deposit account plus a monthly income (pension) totaling not less than 1,200,000 Baht.

In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

8. Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay)    
    A completed application form for long stay visa  — Click here —

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is clearly an error.

I hope so.

I noticed that the Thai E-Visa Official Website states; deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 THB or an income certificate with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or a deposit account plus a monthly income in total not less than 80,000 THB.

Not sure I understand that last part about the deposit account and 80,000 monthly income.

Edited by srowndedbyh2o

This would not surprise me, I do hope it is an error but I think we have to wait and see if theres any more confirmation over the next days from other embassies. 

It's interesting to me that when I read the page (linked above) with the visas and the requirements laid out, I thought thats not a bad visa selection really. It made me think to myself that the big complicating issue is the extension of stay requirements for the differing visas and the long stay implications therein. 

Edited by MRToMRT

From the Royal Thai Embassy London website:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

I notice no mention of the 40000/400000 baht insurance requirements now. 

I checked with the insurance company link and Pacific Cross still shows the original requirements.

A Mandatory Requirement

For Thailand Long-stay Visa Applicants

The new requirements, which were approved by Cabinet in April 2019 and announced by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), state that people applying or renewing (or rather re-applying for) a Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” and “O-X” now need to have a Thai health insurance policy for the duration of the stay, with coverage for Outpatient Treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and Inpatient Treatment of no less than 400,000 baht.

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/longstay-visa/

18 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

They did not bother posting amounts of insurance by providing the reference to the insurance commission and the link for the insurance website. That site sill shows 40/400k baht insurance.

48 minutes ago, rwill said:

I think when I got my O-A there about 10 years ago it was listed as $30,000.

It has been the equivalent of 800k baht since 2003 for the OA visa or extension of stay based upon retirement and that has not been changed. At today's exchange rate that would be about $24,000.

• Like 1

@srowndedbyh2o

Just apply for non-O visa and bring in 800,000 baht. It's less of a headache. 

Let's hope that immigration doesn't increase the minimum amount in the future for non-O due to the action of some people who circumvent the requirement and hire agents.

People are already complaining about the 800k, there might be an exodus if it were to increase to 1.2 million baht.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

People are already complaining about the 800k, there might be an exodus if it were to increase to 1.2 million baht.

That is not going to happen.

The 1.2 million number was an error and is a number used for the non-ox visa using income with money in the bank to reach a total of 3 million baht.

• Like 1

OP is correct, he did read it on the LA site: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non-o/

highlight OPs #7 text, and google that, and you be directed to above link.

ALTHOUGH ... same site, contradicts itself, and also states 800k, if using this link:

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-category-o-a/

????????????

Edited by KhunLA

If this is mistake then it is still on the LA Consulate website. I just checked now:

7.1 no less than 1,200,000 Baht or

1 hour ago, skorp13 said:

I have done non o-a marriage there in the past and they required a bank statement from here stating over $700.00. Something has drastically changed?

Nothing has changed. The have wanted the proof of $700 for a long time now that is their equivalent of 20,000 baht that is required for all visa applications (other than OA and OX visas).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

If this is mistake then it is still on the LA Consulate website. I just checked now:

It is certainly a mistake. As written in earlier posts their is another page that shows the correct 800k baht number.

The 1.2 million baht number is for a combination of income and money in the bank to reach 3 million baht for a Non-OX visa.