Gen Nattaphon Narkphanit: The military man leading Thailand’s biggest battle against COVID

webfact

profile-Gen-Nattaphon_web.jpg

The recent appointment of Gen Nattaphon Narkphanit to lead the fight against Thailand’s new epicenter of COVID-19, the restive deep South, has sparked controversy on all sides.

Nattaphon, a PM’s adviser and former National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general, has taken charge of the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)’s new forward command tasked with containing the epidemic in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla provinces.

Critics argue that the position should have been reserved for a public health expert rather than someone with a military and security background, like the retired Army general.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gen-nattaphon-narkphanit-the-military-man-leading-thailands-biggest-battle-against-covid/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Southerners don't trust authorities also in health matters, for example substandard vax, less reliable atk's.

If the government did care they would nominate a muslim doctor from the local provinces, not an alienated military general from bangkok and without any local knowledge.

It transpire Prayuth is sending his men wide, more in preparation for upcoming election than solve health crisis. That move suppose to be rather in dr anutin competence. Looks, like he was sidetracked. There would be turf war between between prayuth's disintegrating PPP and still bullish bhumjathai

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... hmm, let's see if the generalissimo is worth his salt, for some reason I rather doubt it.

Portugal has a marine admiral running the respective show there, I just read 90% fully vacced any day now ...

Even Australia has a high ranking army guy in charge !  Never hear about what he is doing though. Lots of dribble from all the health officials. They are all doing a <deleted> job over east, only WA is safe.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Critics argue that the position should have been reserved for a public health expert rather than someone with a military and security background, like the retired Army general.

I bet he's an expert with barbed wire... that usually works for the riff-raff.

Highly trained in command tasks. Leader of men, well, people, to be politically correct. Blooded in combat, respected by troops. A hero to such soldiers and will no doubt be a beacon to all.

all civilians will fall at his feet in a swoon and submit to vaccination by his own hand.salon

Sorry...got carried away. I think his PMness identified a competitor and decided to make sure he failed, and was seen to fail.

I think the idea of a respected Muslim doctor is a brave one. One that could probably work.

Or perhaps the Thai government should just let those provinces go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

How about real medical, health and scientific qualifiers.

This creepy subliminal romance with everything militarism is abnormal.

It goes with having what is in effect a military government.

In some in ways there's a good argument for having a soldier heading up the fight against the lurgy. One expects a General to be able to identity, select and maintain an aim ( a principal of war) and to be able to carry out a thorough appreciation, prepare a plan and brief  (give clear orders to) a professional and highly trained staff to achieve that aim ( a basic précis of the military leadership process); then I took another sip from my glass of home made cider (last week really was a remarkable vintage) and remembered where I was ...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Why isn’t he wearing his medals? Oh he’s retired? Get an expert, not this fossil.

"someone with a military and security background" That's someone with the same IQ as the average Thai in the street, who are the same people who ride motorbikes and drive cars. Enough said.

Edited by possum1931