A reminder why Thailand is such a great place to live

PizzaBoi

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Biggest Advantage living in UK SEast is the MASSIVE Capital Gains on Property and Free HealthCare, BUT you must endure the described misery of living there, Avoid Divorce ( Very Hard) and THEN SELL and leave with your Gains to Buy Property and Enjoy Healthy Climate, in say Thailand. Almost Nobody Does That though…..they hang on to property, living in or renting out, downsize elsewhere in UK upon retirement ….. then sicken / die from the rotten climate by age 70 …. all the benefit going to the younger waiting relatives ……

BS.

We don't all do that.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

Not BS. He is right but should have added to the 'free' healthcare that it is hard to get nowadays

Hard to get, yet every Brit that kisses the asphalt in Thailand begs to be returned to the horrible NHS by setting up a GoFundMe campaign.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PizzaBoi said:

Not true at all. A lot of the 5 star hotels/resorts in Thailand are some of the best in the world, at least where I've been. The level of service you get is world class.

As for my example, I stayed in Oakwood Suites Bangkok. Right now you can get it for 2,000 Baht a night (£46). It was slightly cheaper a few weeks ago (perhaps because I stayed longer). Go read some of the reviews on Booking and see how happy people who have stayed there feel. I can tell you the same quality of room and service in the UK would cost you at least 4x-5x more, assuming it was even available

I agree with all of your comments on your posts, but 5 star, sorry, far from it, having stayed at 5 star hotels, there is a huge difference.

That said, not here to boast or shame anyone, but Trip advisor has it down as a 4 star rating which was done by Giata, and if you don't know much about them, suggest you Google them. It looks like a nice place, but unless you have stayed at a 5 star, you wouldn't know the difference.

Nothing to complain about here, always keen to keep an eye out for 5 star hotel bargains here in Thailand, especially as the wife is Thai and we can take advantage of the governments 40% discount, i.e. when the hotels don't raise their prices up as much just as the 40% discount is kicking in.

Do you plan on coming back, I am from Oz and return every year or two at the most too dip my toes into the waters, only to get them burnt real quick, certainly is an expensive place to live, mate of mine is paying $650 per week or 16,250 baht for a 2 bedroom modern apartment about 4 kilometres out of Sydney in Zetland (Leggo land) full of apartment buildings, I suppose you could rent the same place for half that in Hua Hin for example with some water views ?

What he pays in rent, costs me to live here with my family of 6 in our paid off place, so I know what your talking about, last time I was in Sydney 2 years ago last month, I met up with a mate of mine with the Mrs at a waterhole that I used to frequent, 2 basic steaks, 2 beers and two glasses of house red, came to 1,920 baht or $80 AUD.

Won't even look at real estate because one would need 1.5 mil for a 2 bedroom free standing knock down in an average suburb 18 kilometres south of the CBD (Kogarah) on a 500 square metre block in between two low rise unit buildings, fark that !  

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Not BS. He is right but should have added to the 'free' healthcare that it is hard to get nowadays

Free in uk, last time i was there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but he forgot all the other stuff about living in a foreign land. how convenient of him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, PizzaBoi said:

It's not just the UK though. I'm sure most if not all Western countries aren't far off. The US is just as bad. Australia is probably worse. Western European countries like France and Germany are similar.

Thailand is unique in that it offers so many Western comforts in terms of quality/service/availability, but at 1/3 or 1/4 the price (bare a few things such as imported foods or luxury cars). In fact in most cases the services offered are usually better and have way less hassle to obtain them than their Western alternatives

Not forgetting good, reasonably priced health care.

8 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Geez Pravda..you are working overtime to disagree with the OP..

Now you are implying some really negative character traits with that forever renter stuff. I guess you missed the fact that the average price of a home in Canada exceeded C$400K recently.. There will be plenty of Canadians looking at being priced out of the market, through no fault of their own.

I believe you are an immigrant to Canada but were trying your hand at living in Thailand, so not so happy in Canada. Not to mention that you recently started a topic about how you have had enough of Thailand, so perhaps a bit of bias in your multiple responses to this thread..

Ok...fair post. I was also called forever renter because I disagreed about buying a property in Thailand (although I have one).

The thing is you can't blatantly say everything is more expensive in UK without making a fair comparison. If it costs 35 pounds for a Chinese takeout or 100 pounds for a taxi to the airport then great.....become a restaurant owner or a taxi driver. Even better... Start driving for Uber. You will be making a lot more money than a grab driver in Thailand.

Personally if I go back I'm thinking of doing that. Even my wife who will struggle with English in the beginning can do it. Unlike here where the job is only available to Thai for a pitiful wage. 

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Biggest Advantage living in UK SEast is the MASSIVE Capital Gains on Property and Free HealthCare, BUT you must endure the described misery of living there, Avoid Divorce ( Very Hard) and THEN SELL and leave with your Gains to Buy Property and Enjoy Healthy Climate, in say Thailand. Almost Nobody Does That though…..they hang on to property, living in or renting out, downsize elsewhere in UK upon retirement ….. then sicken / die from the rotten climate by age 70 …. all the benefit going to the younger waiting relatives ……

Sydney, Australia is the pretty much the same, massive gains at the moment, booming property prices with the low interest rates on offer, only problem of late is if you hung onto your property while living overseas as an expat, your capital gains tax bill would have risen to 42% after the 1st of July 2019, i.e. if you sell it.

But wait for it, it gets better, it used to be capital gains tax as at the date you left the country, not when you purchased the property, come 1 July 2019, your capital gains tax bill of 42% goes all the way back to when you purchased it.

It will be interesting to see if other countries go down this path as I am sure it will be a great revenue earner for them.

Slam Dunk GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

"I see a lot of people complain about the problems Thailand has, but I just wanted to share my experience coming back to the UK recently and how absolutely insane the cost of living has become here."

Before I read another word, let me just chip in this: Racist, two-tiered pricing for foreigners. 

Okay, you were saying? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You've got to be kidding me. 
The moaners, complainers, haters were born miserable, there's no changing these horrible people. Always looking to blame others for their pathetic mis managed portfolios. They live here in Thailand and can't assimilate, they constantly complain about Thais and their behavior, I just don't understand, they are so miserable and create problems for themselves. 

I'm another that loves it here in Thailand. 

I need to stop reading most of the AN comments, they make me so angry at times.

Sometimes I wish that Thailand was more expensive, this would keep away most of these rotten people, we would be so much more happier here.

Love you Thailand 

It's already cheap and no one is here.

How do you explain that?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

There are plenty moaners here 

Too cheap here, need to make it more expensive.

Thailand is the best place in the world to live, increase the prices, need to get rid of the riff raff.

So what you're saying is UK did a fantastic job as it sent all the moaners to Thailand.

• Haha 2

“Life is much better, more opportunity and less annoyance and danger in uk. Been back for 3 years and best thing I ever did after 10 years living in Thailand with so many areas of issue for health, immigration, xenophobia and its NOT cheap any longer with inflation and exchange rate. “

NO to 1st sentence.Mean “opportunity” for more stress, costs & tax ? “better” how ? “ less danger” ,seriously seen the knife crime levels in UK ? one wrong look or bump can earn you a coffin…….

NHS good but UK environment really unhealthy the older you get…… no comment on thailand not being cheap…… jeez

• Haha 1

I'm a very lucky guy, I've traveled and worked in 40 countries, I've seen many cultures, worked with many different types. 
Thailand is not perfect but it's right for me. 

I've said this many times. 
Thailand has been my home for over 20 years.
I'm in my late 50s, 2 children born here in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, the eldest going to university next year. 
I just get fed up with the comments, the constant negative posts, it just feeds the weak, the juveniles that want to comment negatively.

Screenshot_1.jpg.40ce20318e1e079115722a72d699cb72.jpg

BTW, here's a great song for the people that need a cheer up, kindness. 
Let's be nice to each other. 
????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1