Nearly 2,500 travellers enter Thailand on first day of full reopening

webfact

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet another OP said 3k arrived, another saying 13k for the week and another stating that CAAT was expecting 15 for the week. Competing news stories and numbers that do not add up, but then TIT.

Maybe they confused it with the numbers leaving?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm wondering how many of the 1300 foreign visitors were multimillionaires per the government's strategy of targeting this group with especially bewitching baits? Anyone know the financial status of those who poured in yesterday. 

I am sure they were all super-rich and just avoided flying private as they wanted to support the opening.

They are now out spending millions on condos to ensure their long-term visa.

Happy days!

With the hoops that need to be jumped, and the checking and the processing will be a nightmare mixed with confusion laced with Thai anger.

It must be streamlined or the line up ques they will be out to the tarmac.

During COE requirements for entry, and only few hundreds daily arrivals the ques were 45 minute long... now ???

Departure testing, yes, agree.

Eliminate testing on arrival and this absurd one night at quarantine hotel...is the only way tourists will come back...         

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

People coming are fully vaccinated and take a PCR test before flying here. They even get tested when they arrive here. They are less scary to me than the local population, knowing than less than half has been fully vaccinated. Tourists are more likely to get infected here by locals than vice versa considering numbers are still high in Thailand.

Now, opening bars, alcohol, schools etc will surely lead to a surge in cases. But This will be due to the low vaccination rollout organized by the government, not tourists.

Yes an increase in new infections will be inevitable, as it has been everywhere else once a country reopens. The key will be the number of additional hospitalisations/serious illness and ultimately deaths that may occur as a result. 

Some of the main target tourist areas are already at 70% and others, like Chiangmai are being targeted with extra doses to meet that target this month. Bars are not yet open and school openings still appear to depend on the area. 

In addition with the low tourist numbers highlighted that are currently arriving, it gives them time to get these vac numbers higher across all the provinces in an attempt to reach the 70% target for the whole population.

Once complete, this should help minimise the serious effects of the virus as the numbers increase for Xmas/New Year. 

Only time will tell how much. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

SO what about the 7000 tourists  that were arriving according to TAT   ??      only 1,534 ....   

where are the other 5,500 international tourist ????

did you get it all wrong TAT  ??     so your numbers are false then       ???

You forgot to count the 3700 new police they hired. They must have had a hard day

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

People coming are fully vaccinated and take a PCR test before flying here. They even get tested when they arrive here. They are less scary to me than the local population, knowing than less than half has been fully vaccinated. Tourists are more likely to get infected here by locals than vice versa considering numbers are still high in Thailand.

Now, opening bars, alcohol, schools etc will surely lead to a surge in cases. But This will be due to the low vaccination rollout organized by the government, not tourists.

Sure the amount of cases will go up as the tourists gets infected here. The good thing is that since all the foreigners gets tested, they can be blamed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tingtong said:

What happened to the headlined 7000 from yesterday?

Yes, was thinking the same.  Does not say much for the 15,000 expected later.  Not much of an alcohol consumer myself but I can easily see why people going anywhere for a holiday might want to relax with a drink or two.  I wish the country great success but see remaining COVID issues and restrictions putting a damper on things.

3 hours ago, tingtong said:

What happened to the headlined 7000 from yesterday?

Beat me to it,  a certain Publication printed that 7000 had arrived. Can they be charged with spreading Fake News?........Maybe not as its a Junta mouthpiece.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet another OP said 3k arrived, another saying 13k for the week and another stating that CAAT was expecting 15 for the week. Competing news stories and numbers that do not add up, but then TIT.

Yep, we can wake up now each day to an un-healthy dose of BS served up luke warm from TAT and now CAAT have joined in the numbers game.

Shame they can't speak to each other and get the same numbers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

One wonders how many of the foreign arrivals were genuine tourist and how many were long term residents trying to get home.

Exactly just a hand fall of x pays with their partners and a gig returning 

5 hours ago, happysoul said:

Average of 63 pax per flight... Must be comfortable to fly these days ????

Slightly offset by the thought that one in three of the passengers on average might be Thai and there is no requirement for returning Thais to have been vaccinated. Better to wait until that factor can be risk-assessed before coming will be my advice to family who are keen to get here from Europe.

• Like 1