Is it me or? So many cars without plates on the road

In 2012 I bought a new car. We did not have  a number plate for 6 months. The car was purchased in April. Our book was dated June and we received the plates in October. It was due to the problem of fading paint on the plates. We were never given red plates and we were never stopped by the police.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, Berkshire said:

Are you talking about license plate covers....like the below video discusses?  What I've seen on Thai roads are plates that have the numbers obscured by paint or some other material.  I've seen various plate covers as well, although I'm not sure if they actually work. 

I have seen the roller blind plate for sale in Bangkok someone i know has one.

You can open and close the plate which looks the nuts. James bond style .

He has it on a Bmw so not quite as flash as an Aston martin. Db5

Paid 2500 baht for it. Front and back plates also runs from remote.

Definitely you...

If cars and pick-ups had plates, they'd leave them at scenes of accidents, get caught by speed cameras, (there are 1 or 2. Wife got caught on the 24 one time.)

I did suggest to the wife that the plates should fall off our pick-up. Not amused for some reason. Never seen anyone stopped for not having a plate. I would say around 40% of bikes around here don't have plates either.

Just my added two cents!  I don't dispute what is being said about the defective plates.

I've been here 15 plus years prior I spend 40 plus years in the transportation industry commercial trucks and Airline working at times with the Transportation department. That relationship gave me a number of opportunities to attend plenty of seminars given by the department and the Calif Hwy Patrol which included some basic forensics.

I live with 98% Thais in my neighborhood outside majority of them are poor. I have 3 cars and 5 motorbike my first car and bike purchased on 2006 I still have all of them are register and service each year I agree it is the total responsibility of the owners to up keep the vehicles include the plates!

With one son who is now 23 I watch him grow up with kids around the neighbor I wasn't a saint growing up so watching him grow up doing what kids and boys as soon as they get their hands on a bike. When it comes to bikes many of the bikes never get service even if they are new until it is necessary many never been taught to inspect the bike and even if they did many don't even have 60 baht to replace the bulbs let alone change the oil. Sure there are kids who remove the plates and unscrew the bulbs and that is for a good reason so not to be detected.

When it comes to cars I've seen more and more of the plates being washed out so it isn't just you! Here in Chon Buri,  Pattaya since the cameras were put in on Hwy 7 between Bankgkok and Pattaya there have been more and more that is my time line. I understand the suggestion of cracks and defective coloring on plates but many of what I'm seeing are on vehicle that are newer. If one took one of these plates and gave it to a forensic experts that has been white out they will conclude no way! 

Here is why, in all the vehicles I mentioned not one of my plates have been white out the best I've seen is a few scratches or nicks off the black lettering and numbers but a total white out that is impossible in my own opinion. That is done intentionally and I know how to do it and seen it done in my own neighborhood my son has a number of times pointed it out and said that is done intentionally while we were driving. In general, you follow these guys and watch them drive it is obvious why.

Each year I register all my vehicles sat and watch while vehicles in front of me are inspected and I've seen a number of times the inspector pull out a black marker like the ones you buy at any 7/11 and give that old plate a touch up before a photo is taken. I've seen a neighbor go through once a year spray it black back from inspection whiting it out again. This guy is the worse example his wife owns one of the biggest driving schools in town. Sure it could happen and we know how but an inspection station allowing a vehicle photo taken with a wash out plate isn't going to happen often if the vehicle ever got stopped and checked the paperwork registration would easily know the plate was washed out intentionally.

Sure there are badly made plates and some crack but a complete white out of the plate doesn't happen by accident.

People talk about inspection by police here in Pattaya I put in 50-70 KM on my bike a day I've not seen anyone stopped in 2 plus years. I recently had to make a trip up North, while there I lost a front plate did the suggested right thing got it reported when I return went to the DLT, filled out paperwork paid like 500 baht for something ( new plate ) still waiting not been stopped once!  The reason they white it out is because the chances is slim and none in my opinion.

Edited by thailand49
  • Haha 1

Lots of things going on here. I actually operate a licence place recognition system to record all the ingress and egress from our main site. This gives me some great insight, and the detail from the better ANPR cameras is very high (in that those that think their plate is unreadable may surprised to learn it often IS readable) . . .

There are plates that have faded. However, there are people that spray their plates to make them look faded.

Lots of people obscure a single letter of their plate with a piece of tape

I saw one vehicle that fashioned a very obvious camera guard that made the plate readable from pedetrain level but obscured it from camera height. Clever, but it highlights how lackadaisical enforcement is.

I noted one particular vehicle that's been driving around with a trade plate for at least 3 years.

Lots of local vehicles with no plates at all.

• Thanks 1

Some cars and many motorbikes have no license plates. Always Thais that I've observed without the plates. Never noticed a foreigner. The laws aren't generally enforced on the Thais violating, but generally are enforced on the foreigners. :post-4641-1156693976:  T.I.T. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:41 PM, Farangcannot said:

For the washed out plates: is it due to poor manufacturing standard or are they washed out on purpose?

There was a batch made where the numbers just faded away, between Aug 1st and Dec 31st 2014 and it was posted in the BP news in Feb that they could be repainted free of charge, but i thinking no one bothered.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:08 PM, Nojohndoe said:

Now there is a legitimate issue of concern. In daylight  hours  RTP members will enforce any petty infraction they  can devise but in the hours of dangerous unlit darkness are snug somewhere else but on the roads !

Is it not the case that the number plates are made white by the vehicle owners to deceive the speed camera's?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:00 PM, worgeordie said:

Vehicle's without plates  , not so much...... now motorbikes without lights at night ...

regards worgeordie

Yes, so true. 

40 or so baht is too much for a new lamp for the head light. 

Thank God they are now fitted with LEDs, these last much longer 

20 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is it not the case that the number plates are made white by the vehicle owners to deceive the speed camera's?

No doubt some do or have used a banned film that masks legibility in a speed camera picture. In those  cases it is a matter of interfering with the property of a Government agency and therefore illegal. But there are many cases where the quality of the plates have been acknowledged to have deficient and the script/numbers have faded badly with no deliberate interference.

Is it reasonable to expect the vehicle owner to pay at all for an item that is not actually their property or of functional value to the vehicle?

If the issue is of sufficient concern to the authorities then perhaps if noted at annual safety inspection then new plates could be issued as part of the cost. Something that still happens in some countries .

However what should be of far greater interest is the number of vehicles that no plates or if have do not get presented for annual safety inspection or associated fees.

Perhaps worse is the potential for the RTP to pull over a vehicle due to illegible plates  yet ignore the dangerously unsafe load it carries !

I realize I am being pedantic in my argument but given the reality of poor road safety or genuine enforcement in Thailand  to pick out faded plates as any sort of priority is ludicrous .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:22 PM, Nojohndoe said:

A Thai member of my extended family was "ordered" to get replacement plates due to the fact that they were virtually unreadable from more than a few meters away.

When he replied that having paid to display the existing plates which are actually under the control if not the property of the Government he wanted the RTP Officer to supply him with a written request for free replacement. He was quickly waved on !

he wanted the RTP Officer to supply him with a written request for free replacement. He was quickly waved on !....I'll BET he Was Yeah !!

14 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Definitely you...

If cars and pick-ups had plates, they'd leave them at scenes of accidents, get caught by speed cameras, (there are 1 or 2. Wife got caught on the 24 one time.)

I did suggest to the wife that the plates should fall off our pick-up. Not amused for some reason. Never seen anyone stopped for not having a plate. I would say around 40% of bikes around here don't have plates either.

I would say around 40% of bikes around here don't have plates either....Is THAT All ?? You Need to come & See them in Nong Khai M8 !!

On 11/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, Berkshire said:

a Thai friend advised against it as the police will issue a large fine if they catch you

your friend is a genius as most of them, this is why I don't even call them friends.

The fine is 600 thb, maybe large for him !?

why people are so ridiculous ?!

21 hours ago, ripstanley said:

In 2012 I bought a new car. We did not have  a number plate for 6 months. The car was purchased in April. Our book was dated June and we received the plates in October. It was due to the problem of fading paint on the plates. We were never given red plates and we were never stopped by the police.

Same for me. Got the car in February, took until October to get plates. Never had any problem with the cops ..... but when i lost a number plate a few years later, picked up straight away. Often still takes a few months to get your plates, so frequently see new cars without them. Never heard of anyone having trouble. Ironically, have heard of people with red plates getting fined!

On 11/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Nojohndoe said:

Having plates that match the registration and ongoing current annual licensing of a vehicle is undeniably the responsibility of the owner and operator of a vehicle. But given that the plates  provided by and required to be displayed by an authority are an item that  can not legally be purchased or altered in any way or form and as such are not the property of the owner of the the vehicle then if the plates are deficient in purpose to the interests of that authority and/or the interests of associated authorities in application of assumed interest or penalties relevant to that vehicle which in no manner implies better or greater interest to the vehicle owner further than compliance to the obligation to have present on display with corresponding documentation of legitimate concurrent coincidental that is fully paid how and why is the responsibility to be placed on the owner?

Vehicle number plates are the equivalent of an imposed identification label . But in the terms of  genuine application especially in consideration of vehicles and  the major functional components of are temporary by comparison to chassis number or  engine number.

Having  plates that are unobstructed or unaltered is the limit of responsibility of a vehicle owner.

The quality of durable observable visibility remains the  responsibility of an authority that imposes the presentation of their product . A deficiency in the quality of that product is therefore not justifiably the responsibility of the  vehicle owner nor the  vehicle manufacturer in that it  has no material or functional impact for other than the  authority that imposes the presentation of it.

Thus spake Sir Humphrey Appleby GCB KBE MVO unto his Minister! Amen!

• Haha 1