Are zoomers any better than boomers?

Jingthing

1 hour ago, swissie said:

They are not better or worse than we. They are humans and human behaviour hasn't changed for thousands of years. The communists have tried to produce a new "human-kind". Failed miserably.

Todays youth worships the same Gods as we did: Rampant consumerism, unrestrained economic growth, the accumulation of material wealth as the ultimate goal in life. All same same. Under these circumstances, nothing can change. They will be kicking serious problems down the road just like we did. Especially when good intentions are starting to affect the wallet negatively.

The Greta Thunberg crowd is representing only  a loud minority of our youth. The majority thinks and acts like we did and worships the same Gods. Given this unchanged framework, how would they be able/willing to do things "better" than we did?

Or as Trink put it 

Human nature. Manure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering Greta most used words appear to be 'blah blah blah' , I'd say boomers have it over zoomers since we can make a valid argument without resorting to using 'blah blah blah'

She just might be the definitive poster child for all those generations that haven't a clue - Xers, Tweeners as well the most fashionable and current Zoomers. 

A very sad state.

A plague on all their houses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

How could my generation and younger be better with the horrible example you old guys set for us? Dumb question if you ask me. 

Regards to the girl, she is crazy herself and her parents are bought up actors.

I'm 50+ so one of the old guys but still remember being young.  I did stupid things and blamed others and did it far longer than I should have.  Even today, I lose my calm but am much better and let me emphasize "much", at seeing this anger.  We old guys are not the issue and are no better or worse than you.  Most of us see ourselves in the younger generation  and root for a good end to their struggles. 

Blaming old guys and spewing hate isn't he answer IMO.  It is what it is and now lets see what you do with "it".

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, atpeace said:

extreme poverty at all time lows and continuing to plummet

Prior covid yeah, by now we have 500 million new people at poverty line. And we are at the brink of economic collapse and WW3. 

New generation cant even afford a house and is to their neck in debts before careers start. I wont even get a pension, as you guys will use up all money. Same for healthcare. 

But im positive for my own situation too ????

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Prior covid yeah, by now we have 500 million new people at poverty line. And we are at the brink of economic collapse and WW3. 

OK, heard this many a time. You may be right but seriously doubt it.  It seems all my friends back home are better off and bored with Covid.  Here I get the same feeling to a lesser degree but still don't feel the fear.  I seriously don't see mass fear/hunger and I'm in one of the poorest areas of Thailand.  I see people trudging through this Covid mess and hoping it ends soon.  Most are definitely not better off as my friends back home though.

As for me specifically, Covid has been a blessing.  Lost "lots" of money because of Covid.  Made me adjust to this new reality and the result is a person with an improved capacity to do the right thing which I have struggled with at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

OK, heard this many a time. You may be right but seriously doubt it.  It seems all my friends back home are better off and bored with Covid. 

Yeah i forgot, we only consider rich countries and their people right. Wars dont exist, poverty doesnt. 

We just go in debt for another 300 trillion dollars and nothing will ever go wrong.

If dreams only became true. So naive. You never paid for your parents pension either, it was all debt. You merely paid interest on that debt.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah i forgot, we only consider rich countries and their people right. Wars dont exist, poverty doesnt. 

We just go in debt for another 300 trillion dollars and nothing will ever go wrong.

If dreams only became true. So naive. You never paid for your parents pension either, it was all debt. You merely paid interest on that debt.

OK, you think we are doomed. I can respect that.  Good luck and hope you never experience this doom. Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Sure you will if you save for it, like everyone else. UN employees excepted.

That is incorrect. UN staff have to pay into their pension fund just as do most employees worldwide. The current rate is 7.9% of their remuneration.