Thai Airways to continue to be national flag carrier despite financial woes

webfact

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Once did an urgent evening flight on Air India from Hong Kong to New Delhi in India.

Passengers came on board carrying TV sets in boxes and even a small washing machine in a box. They sit for the whole flight with their 'boxes' on their lap and the sides of the boxes extending out into the space of the passengers sitting either side.

I suddenly realized about 1 row in from of me there was 4 or 5 people sitting on the floor, they had unpacked an old style pump up primus stove, it was alight and they were cooking.

A steward came quickly and told them to put the fire out immediately and quickly pack everything up, and told them the airline meal was coming soon.

Instantly several other passengers attacked the steward saying 'leave them alone, they have to eat'.

I told my office to contact the company travel agent (in HK) and cancel the return to HK on Air India rebook me on Cathay Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

This accident was, as I recall from 1980, attributed to someone using a primus stove at the back of the passenger cabin to cook his supper (the pilgrims get hungry during Ramadan).  The account in Wiki says this was never proved.  At any rate, all lives were lost after the plane caught fire....

A hair-raising tale, one which should encourage all travellers to stay away from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 6:33 AM, steven100 said:

They have little cash,  they allegedly made 11.1 bill baht during the first 6 months which few really believe,  they are hunting the banks for another 25 bill baht to continue,  they owe billions to creditors already, they cannot pay ticket refunds out. 

Now let me think for a second on what their future prospects may be like  !!!    Lol     never mind .

To clarify, the debt has not been openly declared for over a year now so I expect it has risen considerably from the last THB 500 Billion that was bandied about. 

No way did they make any profit this year or any other and financial institutions are refusing to risk credit. 

State sponsored corruption and graft in full effect. 

It's time to face facts that it is over and it is not viable and cannot possibly repay the money it is owe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I'm not dutch smart-ass.

Maybe they do owe money others but atleast they did nit rip ME off..

Also IMO the services provided by the ones mentioned is far superior.

Did you fly with all of them? Typical emotional behavior, find a doctor or take your pills 

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

would you have it any other way?

For Thai Airways or Thailand?

For Thai Airways, of course it would be nice to have a decent option for flying home. Also, it would be good for Thai people to not have to subsidize that level of corruption and mismanagement through their taxes.

For Thailand, a lot of us probably moved here because things were a bit more relaxed and wheels could be greased to a certain extent, rules could be bent etc. It's a novelty to start with, kind of like the Wild West especially after being suffocated by the nanny states we came from. However, there's always a line, and in my opinion that line has been crossed in terms of the gross mismanagement, corruption, cronyism, nepotism since the Junta took over. They are ruining the country. So yeah, dialing it back a bit would be good.

22 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Nothing wrong with Boeing 777 and 787, World leader in twin engine aircraft...loved my Brisbane to Bangkok direct flights 

Stay up to date, there is an Aussie with daily updates on aviation related stuff. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC29_CCc5qpnRaVryYIKiLeg They just (couple months ago) found a problem with a part going back to 2019 which grounded them and halted all deliveries of the 787. JAL is getting rid of their 777.  THey have also problems with the delay of the 777X program (as many other manufacturers have). Airbus has a fare share of problems as well.

My argument is that it will save an airline a lot of money when they use airplanes with the same (similar) cockpits. Example, to train an A 330 pilot to get his A 320 rating (Thai to Thai smile) it will cost 380.000 baht. To train a 777 pilot to get his A 320 rating it will cost around 2.1 million while a rating for a new pilot will be around 2.8 million for the same A 320. FYI an A220 pilot upgrading to an A 320 will cost more as it was initially a Bombardier. The same goes for all Boeing companies, they save a lot of money (bigger order, same maintenance etc etc) by using only Boeing. On the other hand you have risks when they are all planes grounded and you have no back-up. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

For Thai Airways or Thailand?

For Thai Airways, of course it would be nice to have a decent option for flying home. Also, it would be good for Thai people to not have to subsidize that level of corruption and mismanagement through their taxes.

For Thailand, a lot of us probably moved here because things were a bit more relaxed and wheels could be greased to a certain extent, rules could be bent etc. It's a novelty to start with, kind of like the Wild West especially after being suffocated by the nanny states we came from. However, there's always a line, and in my opinion that line has been crossed in terms of the gross mismanagement, corruption, cronyism, nepotism since the Junta took over. They are ruining the country. So yeah, dialing it back a bit would be good.

interesting perspective. I first went traveling to Thailand in 1997 and started about six months on Koh Samui. it took a little while but I eventually recognised the nature of the beast. so nothing comes as a surprise to me anymore.

as for dialing it back, yeh that'd be a good start. hope this current lot of students fare better than their predecessors. 

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

I was an airline pilot for 44 years. My experience with cabin crew with the airlines I flew for, including two Thai airlines, was that, although they were proficient at putting on make up, whenever there was any abnormal situation or emergency they were totally useless and couldn't remember their procedures.

Well that's the rub, where does trust, training and panic set in?

I know personally a bunch of mainline and regional cabin crews in the US. 

I think for the most part I would trust them all to step up and do what they are trained to do in an event.

I've watched SE Asian crews, and I'm not so sure!

A pretty face doesn't always make you competent 

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Whilst they still have special check-in counters at swampy for "government civil service employees", "army employees", "hi-so people" <-- cant remember exact titles, but row B I think to the right of 1st class checkin lounge you know corruption is still there..

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 1:26 AM, aussiexpat said:

I only used to fly them to see the pretty crew smile so I could get back into Thailand happy mood after a long absence.

Much better than the old angry dragons on Qantas ????

Understandable, I try to avoid European airlines for that reason as well. Long-distance flights are a privilege only for longer-service flight crew (read: dragons). 

But Singapore Airlines has pretty flight attendants and is a nice place for a stopover too. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Did you fly with all of them? Typical emotional behavior, find a doctor or take your pills 

Actually I have.

I fly 2X per month pre covid.

If you love Thaiairways so much you can have it.

I will avoid and a bonus avoid  you in the process.

Typical white knight comes to the defense of his fair Thailand..

The moniker makes sense the only somchais I know are scummy Moron local police..

Edited by dutchweller

1 hour ago, chinasimon said:

Understandable, I try to avoid European airlines for that reason as well. Long-distance flights are a privilege only for longer-service flight crew (read: dragons). 

But Singapore Airlines has pretty flight attendants and is a nice place for a stopover too. ????

To be fair most of the middle eastern airlines have decent crew - usually a mix of philippines, thai, nepal, indian, indonesia women - there will be only one local qatari/uae guy etc.. (nepotism of the non-thai variant),  that will do one courtesy sweep then vanish...

• Like 1

My son works in the Milan, Italy area.  In March 2020 he bought five tickets with Thai Airways so he and his family could visit us.  That has yet to happen.  He says he has gotten travel vouchers only and no chance of getting a refund.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

3 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

My son works in the Milan, Italy area.  In March 2020 he bought five tickets with Thai Airways so he and his family could visit us.  That has yet to happen.  He says he has gotten travel vouchers only and no chance of getting a refund.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

He is luckier than me then!

I paid in March 2020. for a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok for September 2020.

SO far..Ive received? Nothing! No refund or no travel voucher!

21 hours ago, blazes said:

This accident was, as I recall from 1980, attributed to someone using a primus stove at the back of the passenger cabin to cook his supper (the pilgrims get hungry during Ramadan).  The account in Wiki says this was never proved.  At any rate, all lives were lost after the plane caught fire....

A hair-raising tale, one which should encourage all travellers to stay away from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

The investigation revealed the fire had started in the aft C3 cargo compartment

16 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Actually I have.

I fly 2X per month pre covid.

If you love Thaiairways so much you can have it.

I will avoid and a bonus avoid  you in the process.

Typical white knight comes to the defense of his fair Thailand..

The moniker makes sense the only somchais I know are scummy Moron local police..

FYI I have a personal problem with THAI as well but that does not make them scumbags, those who run the show are, but not all the (unconnected) staff who do their best but can not fight the corrupt system. There are other, dangerous, airlines operating within the kingdom of Thailand that nobody cares about to investigate.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, blazes said:

NEVER Fly with uncivilized country airlines.assume Unsafe or Problematic. use only airlines from advanced nations, ideally with western pilots only. assume other pilots have no clue in emergencies. even then check Airline Approval, Safety & Performance via FAA website.Example:Etihad / Sing YES Saudia or PIA or Air India NO.

Even then no guarantees. Lufthansa delayed my FRA- BKK flight for 12 hours,handled like a routine two hour delay. Insisted they put me on their SING flight instead. no extra cost. assumed this a one off, its LH right, er….no, six weeks later SAME scenario……..

On 11/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, steven100 said:

I believe it was Thai Air Asia .... DMK-COO

It was Thai Air Asia to DM/KL and then the Malaysian variant to COO. I flew it once. The chaos at DM was enough to convince me not to do so again. However on the flight to KL one of the very pretty flight attendants entered the cockpit on take-off and did not reemerge. At one stage the door opened and one of the pilots stepped out. From the front row aisle I could see her step from one seat to another. The pilot went to the toilet, then stood drinking coffee and chatting up one of the other flight attendants for about half an hour in total before reentering the cockpit.

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

It was Thai Air Asia to DM/KL and then the Malaysian variant to COO. I flew it once. The chaos at DM was enough to convince me not to do so again. However on the flight to KL one of the very pretty flight attendants entered the cockpit on take-off and did not reemerge. At one stage the door opened and one of the pilots stepped out. From the front row aisle I could see her step from one seat to another. The pilot went to the toilet, then stood drinking coffee and chatting up one of the other flight attendants for about half an hour in total before reentering the cockpit.

are you saying something was going on in the cockpit ?

was she sitting in the cockpit  ? 

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

are you saying something was going on in the cockpit ?

was she sitting in the cockpit  ? 

She was in the cockpit for the entire flight. Like I said the door opened briefly during which few seconds I saw her step from one seat to the other, ie feet not on floor. That's what I saw, any thing else would be an assumption, but pretty easy to make.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, steven100 said:

I always flew Singapore Airlines even going back 15+ years ago, I must have taken 40 trips back and forth and always found Singapore to be the best,  even Malaysian airlines was quite good.  Thai airways food went to c_rap as did their service. 

Like EVERYTHING else in Thailand, nothing has been fixed in the last 7 years. 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, trainman34014 said:

Should read .....Thai Airways will continue to be a 'National Disgrace'  !

It would interesting to know who has officially declared that Thai International is still the national carrier and even more interesting to hear that person explain/justify why.