EU is expensive - everywhere!

simon43

6 minutes ago, meechai said:

Actually no we are not wealthy at all

My wife & I live in one of the most expensive States & we actually find it about equal to Thailand...but we own both here & in Thailand

It is actually quite cheap except Electricity is much more.

How about water rates, local tax, property tax, car tax/test/insurance ........ are they about equal to Thailand?

Just taxed, tested and insured my pickup ........ 2,200bht, I'm guessing it would be more in the USA.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

We were there a few months ago.  The prices made my eyes water!  Seriously!  Cut the trip short and went to Portugal.  Loved it there so much, spent a month cruising around.

It is a rich man's country for sure.......we stayed a couple of weeks near Interlarken, which has lost a lot of its charms (for me at least)......we first went in 1966, heavy snow capped mountains all around, but now starting to rather threadbare in the summer with climate change (I guess).

2 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Same order at Caffè Florian, in Venice, would cost you double.

555.......they would have to catch me first.

Missed a Wings concert in St Mark's square, 1976......saw the stage being built, but never asked who was playing and left later that day......I think it was free as well......????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

How about water rates, local tax, property tax, car tax/test/insurance ........ are they about equal to Thailand?

Just taxed, tested and insured my pickup ........ 2,200bht, I'm guessing it would be more in the USA.

USA prices

We live in a rural area at 4000' so water is free as it is our own catchment system

Property Tax is $320/10,400 baht a year for a home appraised at approx $330,000/ 10.8 million baht

(again due to being rural tax rates are low + you get primary residence tax breaks & breaks at 60 & 65 years age)

Car reg for our truck $160/5200 baht a year

Truck insurance is $300/9814 baht a year  We use to pay 20k baht in Thailand on our Isuzu (full coverage)

Tested I am not sure if you mean safety check for truck it is $26/850 baht a year

Thailand Prices

Water in Thailand was very cheap 400 baht/ $12

So in our case we pay no prop tax in Thailand but did have condo fees back then 7200 baht/ $220 per year

Sold condo when we left for 1 million but we still own a country home it has no tax

Truck registration yearly+parabol 12,500 baht / $382

Truck insurance 21,000baht/$642

So just those  USA = $806 / 26,373 Baht

Thailand = $1256 / 41,098 Baht

So again...in Thailand now we just have a home so no prop tax but still

So as I said insurance was killer for our 2010 Isuzu full cover but well we were worried all the accidents & being falang driver etc so.....

But all else I still say it is cheap here & value is much greater

We bought that condo in 2004 for 600k baht

2016 sell 1 million baht...not a great return

Homes here are much better investment... I built this home in 2007 for 1/3 of its value today

Edited by meechai

Back on topic...

After another post suggested looking at the Adriatic countries, I had a quick look at property rental prices in Croatia and Montenegro, (near the coast), and they are just as expensive.  It still makes my mouth drop open to see 'hovels' renting at $1,000 at month....  I guess the demand is there if the owners can rent for those sums.

OTOH, I looked at some fincas in southern Spain.  Prices seemed more reasonable with plenty of land thrown in.  The visa situation for UK citizens is not so good now, if they want to live long-term in an EU country.  I have asked an agent to proceed with my application for Irish citizenship, based on my Irish grandfather (my brother has already successfully done this).  Having an Irish passport will make EU residency easier, if I should need that in the future.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Back on topic...

After another post suggested looking at the Adriatic countries, I had a quick look at property rental prices in Croatia and Montenegro, (near the coast), and they are just as expensive.  It still makes my mouth drop open to see 'hovels' renting at $1,000 at month....  I guess the demand is there if the owners can rent for those sums.

OTOH, I looked at some fincas in southern Spain.  Prices seemed more reasonable with plenty of land thrown in.  The visa situation for UK citizens is not so good now, if they want to live long-term in an EU country.  I have asked an agent to proceed with my application for Irish citizenship, based on my Irish grandfather (my brother has already successfully done this).  Having an Irish passport will make EU residency easier, if I should need that in the future.

Brexit.....the gift that keeps giving

On 11/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, simon43 said:

Back on topic...

If you don't mind winters have a look at Georgia. You can get a one year digital nomad visa "Remotely from Georgia" for free - that's right, you can lodge online application and pay nothing. Need income of $2000 USD per month to qualify, although some people say you can just show a bank statement with enough money. Income tax on the digital nomads appears to be 1%. Food is great and the winters are tolerable at the coast. Cost of living is very low.

After 6 one year temporary nomad visas you can apply for a PR visa.

I have no idea what are the radio ham regulations there.

When cycling in Greece last month I met a young Swiss guy who was cycling from Switzerland to Georgia with intention of setting a base there and working remotely.

https://expathub.ge/georgian-remote-worker-regime-covid/

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, simon43 said:

Want a small but decent detached property?

Detached properties are a luxury , even some rich people cannot afford to live in detached properties , you will have to live within your budget and not expect to live like a millionaire and rent a condo or something 

10 hours ago, gearbox said:

If you don't mind winters have a look at Georgia. You can get a one year digital nomad visa "Remotely from Georgia" for free - that's right, you can lodge online application and pay nothing. Need income of $2000 USD per month to qualify, although some people say you can just show a bank statement with enough money. Income tax on the digital nomads appears to be 1%. Food is great and the winters are tolerable at the coast. Cost of living is very low.

After 6 one year temporary nomad visas you can apply for a PR visa.

I have no idea what are the radio ham regulations there.

When cycling in Greece last month I met a young Swiss guy who was cycling from Switzerland to Georgia with intention of setting a base there and working remotely.

https://expathub.ge/georgian-remote-worker-regime-covid/

Don't that have quite alot of rainy nights in Georgia ?

46 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Detached properties are a luxury , even some rich people cannot afford to live in detached properties , you will have to live within your budget and not expect to live like a millionaire and rent a condo or something 

What a ridiculous comment!  Are you suggesting that everyone who lives in a detached property is a millionaire?  I lived in a detached property with a very big garden in north Thailand for a rent of 3,000 baht per month. I can rent detached properties in Turkey and north Cyprus for $400 per month rent.  I smell troll!!

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What a ridiculous comment!  Are you suggesting that everyone who lives in a detached property is a millionaire?  I lived in a detached property with a very big garden in north Thailand for a rent of 3,000 baht per month. I can rent detached properties in Turkey and north Cyprus for $400 per month rent.  I smell troll!!

My detached property cost 1M8Bht, mortgage repayments 9kbht/month.

But I guess @Mac Mickmanus was right in a way, I'm a Baht millionaire.

(He never specified the currency)

Edited by BritManToo

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That contradicts what you posted in the O.P , where you stated that $1000 is the starting rate for renting detached properties in Europe . 

As you earn that nearly per week, I would have thought it would be easily affordable for you 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, you have mentioned that previously .

We were also discussing rental properties available in Europe , rather than buying property in Thailand 

I've also mentioned previously you can still buy a run-down farm in France for E15-20k.

Not only detached but with a barn and surrounded by land.

Brittany, 5 bedrooms, E19,000

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/1-IFPC23564

Edited by BritManToo

On 11/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It seems like your life is being limited by ham radio. Obviously it's something you love. I am just curious, if you like talking to people around the world, isn't the internet sufficient. Is it like a trip back in time or does it have some other appeal. 

My only experience with ham is when in the early 70s I was in the RCN on a diesel sub on the surface off the coast of California . The chief radioman was a ham operator as a hobby.I gave him my parents ph.# in central Canada . In a few minutes he called me to the radio room and there was my old mom on the line..lol trying to explain to her where I was exactly.

Quite exciting in a way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That contradicts what you posted in the O.P , where you stated that $1000 is the starting rate for renting detached properties in Europe . 

As you earn that nearly per week, I would have thought it would be easily affordable for you 

Clearly, reading comprehension is not your strong point.  Thailand is not in the EU and nor is Turkey and nor is North Cyprus...

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, simon43 said:

But my idea of relocating back to an EU country was quickly rejected when I saw what kind of rental property I could get for my money.

I gather that such is happening in all western countries, IMO because the great and powerful wish to profit at the expense of the less affluent people that have to have somewhere to live.

I laugh when I see expats complaining that they can't buy Thai land, when IMO that is the reason the housing market in western countries is so toxic- government sold us out to get money from rich foreigners.

In NZ immigration before corona was high, but house building very low due to government restrictions- a recipe for trouble. Now the cost of building is ramping up, and rents are ridiculous. I see problems ahead when inflation requires interest rate rises and IMO those that bought when mortgages were at historic low rates are going to be screaming when they can't afford the mortgage payments. IMO it'll be 2008 all over again.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I see problems ahead when inflation requires interest rate rises and IMO those that bought when mortgages were at historic low rates are going to be screaming when they can't afford the mortgage payments.

Our first mortgage was 15%........so ever since then we have felt we are doing well with rates as low as 1%.

A lot of people are in for a serious shock if they climb back to even  3 or 4 %.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I laugh when I see expats complaining that they can't buy Thai land, when IMO that is the reason the housing market in western countries is so toxic- government sold us out to get money from rich foreigners.

Housing shortages and high prices in the west are actually deliberately caused by planning restrictions imposed by the governments. Lot of available land almost everywhere, but you can't build on it.

Had a pal in OZ that owned a 1 bedroom farmhouse and acres of land.

Wasn't allowed to extend the house, wasn't allowed to park a caravan on his own land.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Housing shortages and high prices in the west are actually deliberately caused by planning restrictions imposed by the governments. Lot of available land almost everywhere, but you can't build on it.

Had a pal in OZ that owned a 1 bedroom farmhouse and acres of land.

Wasn't allowed to extend the house, wasn't allowed to park a caravan on his own land.

I bought a ramshackle, 2 bed cottage in 5 acres of land in the Chiltern Hills many years ago.  My plan was to temporarily live in the old cottage, then build a new, larger house next to the old cottage, and then demolish the cottage.

My local council needed a lot of convincing!  They were worried that I would build the new house, and then refuse to demolish the old cottage!  They also only allowed the new house to be 20% larger than the cottage... I found a loophole in their rules - I could build a basement as large as I wanted.  Since the house was on sloping ground, I built the new house with 5 rooms in the basement, the rear rooms being store rooms with no windows and 3 front rooms having huge skylights....

• Haha 2