Govt Maintains RT-PCR Tests for Visitors

snoop1130

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I am paying 65Eur for RT-PCR before flying.

The test&go costs me 5000B, or another 130Eur.

For a returnee, this is an extra pain to be endured.

For a tourist, it can turn Thailand to a "maybe another time".

Besides, two RT-PCR tests within 48 hours doesn't make much sense. I think they know all this, but they are perhaps unable to organize rapid tests at the airport for many thousands/day.

Also, another issue regarding the pre-flight test: on the Uk Thai Embassy site it says "Please note that your test result must be in hard copy and in Thai or English language only." (note 14 under "Registration and Approval Process", link below). Why does it have to be hard copy? Most labs send the result by email; the last thing you need when rushing round to get away is having to fart around looking for a printer. Does anyone know if this nonsense is being strictly enforced? And if you are leaving from France, Germany etc. does it still have to be in Thai or English only?

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Edited by DoctorB
Several words added for clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Also, another issue regarding the pre-flight test: on the Uk Thai Embassy site it says "Please note that your test result must be in hard copy and in Thai or English language only." (note 14 under "Registration and Approval Process", link below). Why does it have to be hard copy? Most labs send the result by email; the last thing you need when rushing round to get away is having to fart around looking for a printer. Does anyone know if this nonsense is being strictly enforced? And if you are leaving from France, Germany etc. does it still have to be in Thai or English only?

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

I checked two airlines. Qatar requires submission of copy of the test results. KLM requires hard copy.

So yes, and you need printouts of EVERYTHING! Preferably multiple sets, in case your airline keeps the copy.

3 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

It depends on the manufacturer? There is one British made LFT out there that has an overall sensitivity of 98% and specificity of 99%, whilst in the infectious range of CT<27, it’s almost 100% accurate? The problem with PCR is that it is generally run with a CT of 40, which means it will pick up infection long after you are infectious and possibly even weeks after you have recovered?

And I'm sure you've heard of the Covid positive pineapple and other foodstuffs one creative country in Africa sent in for tests?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MixPiano said:

Hmmm, am I the only one who suggest to keep the PCR tests after arrival?

As far as I know the antigen rapid tests have about 50% accuracy with fully vaccinated people as their viral load is lower when infected. So low, that the antigen rapid test can't detect it.

(Though should mention that I'm already here and have the procedure behind me ???? 

Edit: typo

The PCR tests don't necessarily show that you are currently infective. It tests for viral DNA and that DNA may be historic and no longer infective. The lateral flow tests for whole viral particles which are much more likely to be infective.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Besides, two RT-PCR tests within 48 hours doesn't make much sense. I think they know all this, but they are perhaps unable to organize rapid tests at the airport for many thousands/day.

It wouldn't really matter if they stopped the requirement for a test before flying - some of the airlines want them anyway as part of their own policy - Etihad does.  Emirates haven't gone that far yet but I suspect most will follow soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

It wouldn't really matter if they stopped the requirement for a test before flying - some of the airlines want them anyway as part of their own policy - Etihad does.  Emirates haven't gone that far yet but I suspect most will follow soon.

You can imagine some country turning back a plane load if high number of infected people where found among them.... making the carrier responsible. 

8 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Just print your email and carry it…and a few copies with you.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Shameful money grab

The PCR test are 2200 baht - ($67) which is not breaking anyones bank. I don’t like paying that (x3 for my family) but PCR test are more accurate than Antigen tests. 

I know a lot of people who have had covid in the UK, tested positive with a PCR test yet the ATK had not picked up the virus (someone explained earlier that the PCR test could be picking up skeletal remains of RNA and the virus has passed - I’m not sure about this). 

I don’t believe its a cheap money grab - the government know more tourists would come if entry requirements were easier. The government is continuing to take steps to prevent the ‘import’ of new variants while compromising and making travel easier - Pre-flight PCR tests and the Test and Go procedure is the best and most logical method of achieving this goal.

I’ve done the ’Test and Go’ and completely agree with the necessity. 

But....  I am not in agreement with the absence of information regarding what happens if someone tests positive for Covid-19 upon arrival and the potential costs involved, whether or not insurance pays out for asymptomatic positives or proximity negative cases. 

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's like Russian roulette when you enter.

Test positive and goodbye freedom.

No it isn’t - Positive rates upon arrival are minimal: 15 positive cases so far out of thousands of arrivals (maybe 10,000 or more since Nov 1st).

What would you suggest ? those who test positive are ignored and just released ?

I personally would like to see greater trust and that PCR positive people are sent home to quarantine at home, IF the their home is not shared - but people have already proven they will break this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1