Poll: Expats -- do you identify as a globalist?

Jingthing

Globalism, Globalist, Globalization  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Given that volunteer labor is against the law for non-Imm O visa holders, what would such service to the community amount to?

In that case break the law as I have done on may occasions........as an example, I co organised a festival on Samui in 2006 which raised hundereds of thousands for local charity..the whole community pulled together.....I'm sure there are thousands of expats going under the radar doing good deeds for their local communities.......a risk worth taking IMO......................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meechai said:

This is like the whacked out emails you see lately where they sign.....Mike....He/Him/His.... Or Mikel She/her......  goodnight..yes normal human here thanks????

How about them?

Them is a singular proper pronoun.

Psycho

2 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

There must be a lot because it didn't take long for find one example. The 2nd reply essentially said that "Globalism" is a racist term and anyone who uses it is a racist.    So, yeah I'm going to say there's a lot them left wing nuts around

Globalist has been weaponized by the far right.  Just like cancel culture, snowflake, <deleted>, etc.  All dog whistles for the far right.  Lots of right wing nuts around. 

27 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

No. I don't "identify" as anything. 

am an Englishman, who happens to have long had a curiosity to learn about the world around me — and (I hope) an ability to keep an open mind and an interest in sorting out the changes being wrought every day.

Maybe I should have taken the grumpy old expat option...

So, you identify as an "Englishman," not as "British" then?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bojo said:

In that case break the law as I have done on may occasions........as an example, I co organised a festival on Samui in 2006 which raised hundereds of thousands for local charity..the whole community pulled together.....I'm sure there are thousands of expats going under the radar doing good deeds for their local communities.......a risk worth taking IMO......................

That's correct.  You did break the law.  Doesn't mean that anything will necessarily happen to you, but I wouldn't do it.

So, you identify as an "Englishman," not as "British" then?

He's both, just as Irish, Welsh and Scots retain their individual nationalities all are 'British' by default. Hangover from the British Isles, Britain, also known as the United Kingdom

• Like 1

That's correct.  You did break the law.  Doesn't mean that anything will necessarily happen to you, but I wouldn't do it.

and trust me on  this........................when you're entrenched in a local community doing good, nothing will happen..........Thais, in my experience will support you..................I get that you might wanna stick by the rules, I respect that...................................... but being part of the local community, it pays dividents and is very rewarding, part and parcel of a being a globalist...........................................

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

He's both, just as Irish, Welsh and Scots retain their individual nationalities all are 'British' by default. Hangover from the British Isles, Britain, also known as the United Kingdom

But that's not what he said.   What we understand is that Brexit passed, because of the rise of English nationalism, of which the post in question is an example.

• Like 2

For me a starting point is to recognise and accept we all ultimately look out for no 1 being ourselves. That then gets expanded to our families, and social circle, and country, and there is nothing wrong with that. For example I feel strong immigration policies are quite reasonable for particular countries. Trade can be complicated. Open trade can benefit your country, and the world, but sometimes it's not a level playing field. 

I can see how that term has mainly been used by the right to discredit the left but you can see how it is used by the left to shame the right.  

Having accepted that we are looking out for no 1 we can then say 'OK its in my interest to deal with warming, or a strong China, or whatever.' We can go a step further and say I am not happy that  Uyghurs are treated so poorly in China and support groups like Amnesty International because part of looking out for no 1 could be to make a good and fair world.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

I'm just kind of a exploring nomadic human.  No allegiance to any country, race, society, person.  Just happen to have a USA passport, and presently live in Thailand.

Keep up with local & world events, but really don't care and can't be bothered about them.  Live my life for me & mine, have no desire to change the world as accept it is in the hands of way more powerful folks than myself.  As long as they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.

Not enough time in a day for me to care about much more than my smile.  Anything else is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting globalism is a black and white issue.

Globalism is a fact of life. It is not new. The ancient Chinese silk road is a classic example of that.

Globalism has both positive and negative consequences on people and societies.

Globalization is about the levels and speed of the spread of globalism.

Anti globalist sentiment is not only from the right. It is also from the left. For example in railing against mulit national corporations.

As expats I would argue we couldn't exist as expats without globalism. International travel connections, currency transfers, being able to establish a home in a foreign land are manifestations of globalism. Thus I would argue that it would be clearly hypocritical for expats to espouse extremist anti globalist sentiments.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

There must be a lot because it didn't take long for find one example. The 2nd reply essentially said that "Globalism" is a racist term and anyone who uses it is a racist.    So, yeah I'm going to say there's a lot them left wing nuts around

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC2NLdrutn1UcV9xhx65S

• Sad 2

I have fallen way behind on the terms... there seems to be a new one every day... woke - Q - snowflake - Karen - and a million acronyms... maybe I am more of an NWBI kind of person... a little salt, a dash of pepper... 

A travelin' man, made a lot of stops, all over the world... 

The LLP [last living person] who still knows who Ricky Nelson is...

In other words, based on the responses, I would have no idea what the word does or doesn't mean. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm from the US and don't even want to go there for a visit.  Was there this summer and it's bad.

I have not been back in a decade or so, or maybe 2 if you count lack of interaction... where'd you go, what'd you see?  [answer w/PM if you like] 

I am in touch w/friends but I think the changes in their lives have been so gradual that they barely notice... 

maybe one friend said it best: "nobody says it can't get any crazier anymore." 

3 hours ago, blackprince said:

The next time you go to the supermaket check the labels on your purchases. If they're not in a language you can read, ask someone to translate,

We are all part of a highly globalised world whether we like it or not. Putting our heads in the sand doesn't change that.

There are pluses and minuses to this regardless of which side of a binary political mindset one choses to position oneself. The book by Joe Stiglitz that I linked earlier is the most comprehensive account out there.

It's not a particularly easy read even though it's pitched at the general reader. But trying to discuss these issues without an understanding of them is not discussion.

No offence brother.

No offence taken I did not enter a discussion, I actually declared 'lack of interest' ????

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

No offence taken I did not enter a discussion, I actually declared 'lack of interest' ????

Globalism is interested in you whether you are uninterested in (discussing) it or not ???? In fact this forum is based on globalisation of communications. It's ubiquitous, we can't get away from damned stuff.

"No man is an island" John Donne c 1600. Actually it's so beautiful and apposite, please let me enlarge:

No man is an island,

Entire of itself;

Every man is a piece of the continent, 

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less,

As well as if a promontory were:

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were.

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind.

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

But that's not what he said.   What we understand is that Brexit passed, because of the rise of English nationalism, of which the post in question is an example.

Please feel free to start your own thread on how Brexit came about, there are a few who still get riled up about it. I'm not interested living in Thailand.