U.S. Topic -- Predictions for the Kyle Rittenhouse Trial?

Jingthing

I agree with your take. Just imagine if the 500 National Guard troops about to be deployed had been deployed the night of the riots that precipitated this event. That's the US. Always time and money and outrage to deal with downstream events but never the will to prevent bad things from happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Part of the disgraceful conduct of this case is that Rittenhouse has not been charged for his violations of weapons laws.  He obtained his gun illegally since he was below the age for a license.  And he carried across state boundaries, which is probably another offense.  Rittenhouse has also associated with white supremacists.  It is probably fair that that fact could not be introduced into the case, but we the public are fully entitled to consider it.  

He may be convicted for shooting Huber who only had a skateboard and therefore did not pose a threat to Rittenhouse's life.

I hope that Huber and the families of the murder victims sue Rittenhouse and are able to seize whatever income Rittenhouse ever acquires.

One problem we have now is that people judge a person's guilt or innocence before the law on what they wish would happen rather than the actual law. It is not surprising given that the media often misrepresents events and relays opinions as facts. 

I believe he "may" be charged with a weapons violation if the rifle barrel s too short. He did not cross state lines with a weapon and I believe he met with the Proud Boys post the shooting event, so irrelevant. Precedent on the skateboard goes to an Olympia, WA cop shooting two kids because he "feared for his life". Shooting deemed justified.

Not that the law allows for it but my idea of a fair penalty would be stripping Rittenhouse of his right to carry any firearm for life thereby ensuring he never finds himself in a security or law enforcement role, ever.

Being on a jury is different than watching a trial on t.v. Speaking as someone that has been on a jury that probably should have been screened out but wasn't because I superfically ticked the boxes for an acceptable juror for both sides. This is a murder self defense defense. The prosecution had to.prove it wasn't self defense beyond a reasonable doubt. They didn't. But the excessive force charge is different.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Since I posted my prediction, there was a very big change in the jury instructions. The wacky judge that is the talk of the nation has allowed the jury to consider PROVOCATION by the defendant. This allowed the state to wind up the case with a stronger closing argument than they could have otherwise. While I still don't think the jury will convict on the most serious charges, but if they do, I wouldn't be shocked. I'm also kind of expecting the jury to hang on at least one charge. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Out of curiosity, where do u get ur news?

Thai Visa!  Of course!!! LOL.  But seriously, for Thai related news, it's one of the best sites.

Mainly AP, Reuters, NPR, The NY Times.  CNN because they are not behind a fire wall, so it's easier to put up their content.  But it's definitely not my #1 source for news.  Just easier than some sites, and it's basically the same content.  Mostly. LOL

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for news information due to proper sourcing and well-respected journalists/editors. The failed fact checks that occurred were on Op-Ed’s and not straight news reporting.

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Any protests will be by people who will not be accepting the rule  of law .

They will not be protesting seeking justice , they will be protesting because they do not accept justice .

Doesn't seem you understand why they were protesting.  I'm guessing you're a white guy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3