AstraZeneka vs. Pfizer which one to take?

lexlam

A friend of mine willing to travelt to Thailand, he did not take the vaccine yet,

Bother AZ and Pfizer are available in his country, he still hesitated about the mandatory vaccine to travel, his worries for health risk matters that often published in the news about blood clotting or health muscle inflammations etc,

His age is 49 or 50, with DM type 2, taking mitformin tablets, besides this he is in a good health, no smoker, no alcohol drinker, 

Any suggestions for a person in his age and such diabetic health condition? most important for him is to take the less risk one for long term, 

generally both are accepted and have good reputation, but not sure the opinion of the people who took both what they will say,

please share your experience if possible, 

• Sad 1

Just now, sezze said:

Over here in my country , they are starting 3th vaccination . We have had here J&J ( single shot ) , Astra Zeneca , Pfizer and Moderna .

3th shots for elderly are busy . Next up are J&J and Astra , as they do see more breakthrough infections there . I did get Pfizer as so did my parents . No negative side effects , besides painful arm .

All 3rd shots are supposed to be Pfizer or Moderna ( most Pfizer ) .

If you ask me , i would choose Pfizer above AZ every single day , since the new mrna technique seems better in protecting .

btw my dad is cancer patient and diabetic type2, forgot to mention that .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sezze said:

True , vaccination is most important . But the OP said he wants to know the choice between the AZ and the Pfizer . Both are good vaccines , better then the Chinese made (i think there was 1 exception , but ok ) , and are safe . Now a few months down the line , the differences between AZ and Pfizer are becoming more visible , and Pfizer looks better in protection longer time .

I'd lean towards Pfizer also, but AZ is fine.  Either way, if he has a medical issue, check with his doc first.  Then get the jab. 

9 hours ago, sezze said:

btw my dad is cancer patient and diabetic type2, forgot to mention that .

My gf has cancer, and has had 2 AZ vaccinations. She felt a little bit hungry and sleepy for 12-24 hours after each does, but other than that we made sure she got her in the middle of her chemo cycle (not within 10 days of chemo)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am afraid no forum like this can substitute advice from medical staff who know/check his condition.

For his age group and being male I don't remember specifically higher risks.

From latest news:

It seems that Moderna gives the highest level of antibodies (protection).

Pfizer is what most go for.

J&J single shot protection is quite low and vanishes quickly.

Timing is important relating to travel plans.

As far as I know the final shot must be at least 14 days before travel.

Intervals between Pfizer and Moderna shots about 4 weeks (?).

So if he is not vaxxed yet he can travel no earlier then beginning of next year.

(without quarantine)

And as we have to painfully learn: all the vaccinations seem to loose protection quite quickly (within months). Many infected and having symptoms or even needing treatment after being double vaxxed "some months" ago.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And as we have to painfully learn: all the vaccinations seem to loose protection quite quickly (within months). Many infected and having symptoms or even needing treatment after being double vaxxed "some months" ago.

This is good in a sense as it will be testing our T & B cells to see if our immune systems can actually fight this virus after being double vaccinated, and if our T & B cells knock Covid on it's a$$ so to speak, then we actually look at getting boosters every 12 months like the annual influenza jab and not every 6 months.

That would be my preferred choice, but when the data is in, we will know whether to do it at 6 monthly intervals or 12 monthly intervals.

For the poster, I had two of the Pfizer jabs after knocking AZ back because of all of the blood clotting issues back in June of this year.

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Tell him to get his info on the vaccines from his doctor, not social media or friends visiting dodgy media outlets that spew fake news.

The jabs are safe.  Sad he doesn't feel that way.  One reason we're still in this pandemic.

Either jab is fine.  Just get one.

Not True. There are now some reservation about Astra. I would go for Pfizer.

The problems with muscle inflammation etc. seem to be mostly with people under 30.  And more with the Moderna or Astra Zeneca than with Pfizer-BioNTech.   Someone in their late 40’s?  No problem. And even then, the inflammation is usually mild. And it’s temporary. 

My family, relatives, friends, myself all various ages and sex…..we have all now had two shots of Pfizer-BioNTech.  Our second shots were months ago now……and none of us had any problem with it.  
    From personal experience?   I would say get the Pfizer-BioNTech shots.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sezze said:

Over here in my country , they are starting 3th vaccination . We have had here J&J ( single shot ) , Astra Zeneca , Pfizer and Moderna .

3th shots for elderly are busy . Next up are J&J and Astra , as they do see more breakthrough infections there . I did get Pfizer as so did my parents . No negative side effects , besides painful arm .

All 3rd shots are supposed to be Pfizer or Moderna ( most Pfizer ) .

If you ask me , i would choose Pfizer above AZ every single day , since the new mrna technique seems better in protecting .

Yeah….Pfizer-BioNTech can give you a bit of a sore muscle at the injection site for a couple days.  It did to me also.
    Similar to the sore muscle you might get from the Tetanus vaccine shot and the Shingrix Shingles vaccine shots. Some vaccines do that. 
  But it’s no big deal and the little bit of soreness disappears after two or three days. 

Both are good vaccines and have been issued millions of times around the world. 

In that same time frame more people will have been injured tripping over their slippers than by the vaccines. 

IF the Ops father has not received any vaccine yet, the time window between the AZ vaccines may be longer than the window between the Pfizer vaccine - thus that may influence the decision. 

With regards to individual and normal side effects from the vaccine with regards to the innate immune response - I’ve had both AZ and Pfizer vaccines, both gave me a sore arm and made me feel feverish for a day. 

With regards to which is better: Pfizer was reported to have better efficacy than Astrazenica when targeting the SARS-CoV-1 virus, but this was pre-Delta variant (results were: 95% efficacy for Pfizer, 76% efficacy for AstraZenica  - the real world effectiveness will be less than this).

Also worth considering is how each vaccines ’trains the body’ as the immune response is not solely dependant on Antibodies, T-Cell memory is also an important facet.

Of particular importance is how the vaccines respond against the Delta variant and will potentially respond to newer variants of concern as they occur. 

Ultimately, it is impossible to give a fully factual response when comparing the vaccines because the factors involved are too numerous. 

Factually: Either vaccine is better than no vaccine and a booster after approximately 6 months is also reportedly a good idea. 

So let me see, I am not vaccinated yet, but I want to travel to Thailand so I will ask a friend to post on a Thai forum what is the best vaccine for me with my approximate age and conditions. Surely that will give the best possible answer so my friend can report to me. Or, I could toss a coin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I had a choice between the two (AZ or Pfizer), I would pick Pfizer in a heart beat. As it offers the best protection between the two. But since he sounds like he's not sure, maybe there is something we don't know concerning his health. Then I would advise him to contact his doctor and make sure Pfizer is okay for him. Unless you want to take the advice of all of us "expects" here in the forum. I wish him the best.

15 hours ago, sezze said:

True , vaccination is most important . But the OP said he wants to know the choice between the AZ and the Pfizer . Both are good vaccines , better then the Chinese made (i think there was 1 exception , but ok ) , and are safe . Now a few months down the line , the differences between AZ and Pfizer are becoming more visible , and Pfizer looks better in protection longer time .

Is this true? I think it might be the other way around?  Something to do with T-cell protection. But I'm not making a deal of it.

Also don't forget AZ was developed by Oxford Uni. and given out to the world at cost price,Pfizer was made by The Pfizer Corp. in the USA and has been done for profit.Pfizer was asked to donate their vaccine to the world and refused.

So the propaganda says "Pfizers better". In the real world either are almost equally effective. Although people under 50,or 59[I'm not sure which] are advised to get Pfizer

• Like 2