Condos - what's your experience of getting your deposit back?

14 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

To those who have rented this way, have you had issues getting the deposit back when leaving?

I have received my deposit back everytime upon check out.

I have also returned FULL deposits to tenants upon check out, 9 out of 10 times

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc1961 said:

Due to contract and law you will get back. If you pay 2 month I would inform the landlord you will pay 1 month rent less and the other 50% you will get after final inspection after moving out…

That seems like a risky move.

On the one hand it guarantees you at least one month's deposit is "returned", but on the other hand the landlord would then be able to argue keeping the remainder of the deposit as you have breached your contract by not paying the rent as agreed.

Here's my two-penny worth — (with help from Google):

"Possession is Nine-Tenths-of the Law"

Possession is nine-tenths of the law is an expression meaning that ownership is easier to maintain if one has possession of something, or difficult to enforce if one does not. The expression is also stated as "possession is ten points of the law", which is credited as derived from the Scottish expression "possession is eleven points in the law, and they say there are but twelve."

Good Luck to you Mr. Sneer -----

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I have leased 4 times over the years and always got the full deposit back because i am not an incompetent moron. If you have an ounce of common sense, business acumen and do things properly the chances of having a problem are minuscule.

I said the same in an earlier post....just slightly more diplomatic in the wording.......5555