Thai PM’s odd suggestions cause quite a stir

webfact

56 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm taken back to those 6:00 p.m. national diatribes he would give (remember how he promised to write some soap operas?). Absolute diarrhea of the mouth.

Engage mouth, switch off brain.

I think he has been writing soap operas already and reading the script to his menials.☹️ 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Do you think Expats are the only ones who smoke and drink when we are a very small minority in this country , you need to get real .

I think we are the majority of the ones who buy imported goods and bringing billions of baht into an economy that would be suffering much more without us.  

For this military science remarks

[quote]Toward the end of his remarks, he asked people who cannot swim to learn, claiming that he has taught children how to swim. He said that, if you know how to float on water, you will never drown and people will help you, but “if you drown you will die”. He also suggested that Thai people should exercise and study two languages to survive.[/quote]

you have to study at least 10 years in the milirary highschool :smile:

Edited by puck2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement. 

English has been a requirement in schools for generations. The only Thai people who actually converse are those who take initiative beyond school, to make money, or foreign friends, or learn song lyrics. 

What the PM suggested is not unreasonable. I'm not a fan, but it looks like leadership to me. The knee-jerk response from his political critics is not surprising. I'm American. I can only imagine how the opposition would freak if President Biden said something like that. What about your country? 

Edited by LawrenceN
Misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thai kids leave school unable to write and read Thai language properly so how the hell are they going to learn a second language ? There is no help for them unless they pay to learn privately. At a pinch some can speak poor English but there are many who speak it perfectly. It does help to have an English speaking parent. Maybe thats why Prayut cant speak any English !

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

In terms of content, everything is correct. And the fact that you should cut your toenails regularly, eat well and sleep well every day would also be right. But what relevance does it have for the current economic, political, social and health situation in Thailand?

Not to mention, something quite different in the current Education Bill that "sailed" through its first reading

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

I think we are the majority of the ones who buy imported goods and bringing billions of baht into an economy that would be suffering much more without us.  

I am really afraid about Thai future once few of you (us) will leave, so there will be no longer many of you (us) who can buy the expensive things (in 7/11) for billions...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Is that for real? Or has it got lost in the translation? It reads like having interviewed an 8 year old.

Seems to be genuine and not surprising. On par with his other philosophical musings, throwing banana skins at reporters and other childish antics.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, saying they should learn how to drive would be good advice

It's his job to ensure a proper driving competence assessment scheme is put in place to ensure that the required learning outcomes are achieved. 

What passes for driver education here currently is nothing but a joke. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Not in Thailand. In Thailand it's not what you know it's who you know, the current "PM" being a case in point. The man's so inept he couldn't lead a gaggle of geese across the road yet here he is "leading" a nation where he took power, all because of who he knows.

I am only afraid of future of Thai expat forums in case Thailand would get a leader who can expedite so well as we know them from our home countries. What would be then the interesting topic to express ourselves?  

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually he is correct in that every child should learn to swim, it should be mandatory ....  as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement.  A child that can speak English has a far better opportunity to travel and advance in life through career prospects, than one that can't. 

Maybe he’ll give me a work permit as a swim teacher ????????

• Like 1