Where to keep original blue book & insurance documents?

For me, blue registration book kept safely at home with a copy on my phone.

Original Insurance documents I keep in my the car, with the sticker provided in the window. It is my opinion that it is best to have them with you just in case.... 

Remember that if your car was to be stolen then your insurance company still has all your details on computer.

• Thanks 1

Insurance paper on the window is not a requirement since you need to show proof of insurance to renew the annual tax and get the tax disc square to stick up your window, so it's safe to have a copy or the original in the glove box, but I suppose should there be a fire, getting your insurance policy might be difficult if the only original you had was in the car

The blue/green book should never be kept on the vehicle, with a simple forgery of sale contract, anyone can transfer the vehicle into their name.

Also make sure to sign under your name in the blue book, it makes it a step harder to forge a transfer

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And copies of the blue book are mandatory else you can be fined.

Has anyone ever been fined or even asked for their blue book ? I know it's the law but just asking out of curiosity. Of all the times i've been stopped never been asked.

Thai Mrs gave her old car to her son. He immediately lost the blue tabien and didn't know what to do. Fortunately, I had photographed the plate inside the engine compartment and all pages of the tabien. From those images he was able to insure, tax and safety test the car. He now has print-outs instead.

I scan, print, copy, and store all such important documents compulsively. My electronic copies are also stored on several different devices.

I trust no representatives or authority here in the least, from government to private businesses.

I want documentation in my hand for every possible fractious encounter that could occur. In other words I expect the worst and prepare for every contingency reasonably possible. Note that I firmly believe that what is considered 'reasonable' here often seems outrageously stupid in western countries.

I did this to some extent in my home country but have doubled down here.

As others have said, never keep any green /yellow/blue book of any ilk anywhere that you may lose it. Prevention efforts are minor compared to the grief you will encounter in replacing them.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 3:28 AM, RocketDog said:

I trust no representatives or authority here in the least, from government to private businesses.

I want documentation in my hand for every possible fractious encounter that could occur. In other words I expect the worst and prepare for every contingency reasonably possible. Note that I firmly believe that what is considered 'reasonable' here often seems outrageously stupid in western countries.

I did this to some extent in my home country but have doubled down here.

Can you share some tips on how to relax in Thailand?

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, brianthainess said:

Has anyone ever been fined or even asked for their blue book ? I know it's the law but just asking out of curiosity. Of all the times i've been stopped never been asked.

I have been asked once for the green book of my motorbike at a checkpoint in Bangkok at night, a few years ago. Didn't have it, or any copies, but was no problem.

On the probably way more than 100+ other stops at check points I was never asked for the green/blue book.

Blue book at home (so in case somebody steals the car they can't just transfer it), the other stuff can be kept in the car. You should have a copy of the blue book in the car, even though the chance to be asked for it is basically zero.

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Can you share some tips on how to relax in Thailand?

Sure.

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Then you will sleep better.

Also a tip for driving or being anywhere proximal to roads in Thailand :

Don't ever relax.

Does that help?

All my important papers are in a 'messenger' bag, hanging in the house, or in the car when I'm out & about.  Keeps them away from termites, and I'm not concerned about anyone stealing them (all photocopied anyway), as in 67 yrs of living, never been burglarized or had my car stolen.

Passport, I actually carry on me, most of the time, since it is the law, though yet to be asked for it.

Stop living in fear ????