Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

On 3/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, johng said:

Thanks for the update.. I thought it was always the case that for renewal of 5 year  a medical certificate was not needed.

thai license Checklist.pdf

Hello, I have got a 5 years license that needs renewing. According to the PDF above it makes no mention (if any) of what type of visa is required for renewal. To me it reads as though a copy of your visa or entry permit is required only . Can someone confirm if I can renew my 5 year license (for car and bike) on a tourist visa? Thank you.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

No for 5 year renewal you need a long term visa or extension...tourist visa will get you 2 years as far as I know.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought that was the case. It should have been in that PDF, cheers.

• 2 months later...

If you go to the immigration office to get a proof of address document for a 5-year drivers licence renewal, do you have to bring proof of your residence to the immigration again( owner's deep, ID, lease) even though you have been doing your 90 day reporting for the past 2 years. I can't locate my landlord to get an updated rental agreement or deed. If you get a letter from the embassy, guaranteeing or verifying your address, would that letter be sufficient for proof of address if you can't get a letter from Thai Immigration?

A side note. A Thai policeman that we know told us that when a Thai reaches the age of 70, they no longer have to renew their drivers licence. It will never expire after the age of 70. If so, I wonder if this hold true for foreigners . Probably not.

2 hours ago, khaepmu said:

A side note. A Thai policeman that we know told us that when a Thai reaches the age of 70, they no longer have to renew their drivers licence. It will never expire after the age of 70. If so, I wonder if this hold true for foreigners . Probably not.

Not true for falangs. I just renewed my 5 year licence and I'm 75. Doubt if it's true for Thais either.

Edited by giddyup

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday I went to the Pattaya/Banglamung   DLT  to renew my  5 year licences !!!!!

Documents I took where

Certificate of residence  one original and  a few copies

( 300 baht at Jomtien wait 20 mins check they got your info correct !! )

Copy of Passport data page  and visa page + original passport

Copy of old licences   ( car and bike) + original licences

As the number 7 motorway now has tolls (and motorbikes are not supposed to even use the motorway)

I took the exit just before the first toll booth and  Google maps took me on a very windy country road route but got there eventually  at 8.45 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9687955,100.9726157,3a,75y,176.21h,70.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRcqsFSf_E5byB-Yyk71DWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Take a ticket from machine at the foot of the stairs press  "number 1 for foreigners"

then wait for the ticket number to be displayed on the LED display above the ticket machine

if it's not your number they send you downstairs again to wait !

So upstairs at table 11 the employee checks my documents...you should sign all copies

then she gives me the application forms  sign and telephone number

finally gave me a red ticket number 113 ( should have known it was an omen) and says come back to

training room number 1 at  1.00 PM !!!    ( its about 9.30 AM now)

After a looooong wait   its finally 1pm    go up stairs again to training room number 1,

employee tells foreigners  to write their name in a book ..then takes all the Thai out of the room for about  30 mins while we sit there twiddling thumbs..Thai  file in slowly and write their names in the book..time to watch the video ??   nope  now we all go outside to do the eyesight and reaction tests

(which no one failed even though most got red lights on the reaction test )

So now back into room number 1 and watch the video ( screen was to small to read the subtitles)

then employee calls out your name to collect your stamped and signed license application/pass documents..which again you should sign.

So then outside again form a queue to pay

( this booth closes at 3.30pm if you can't pay in time...come back tomorrow..

there are no ATM machines nearby )

Motorcycle  305 baht

Car                555 baht

Given another number  and wait till they call number to take digital photo

after photo then wait (she said 20 minutes but it was quicker) they call your name or number

collect 2 shiny new licences  valid for 6 years.

Out of the building at 3.50 PM    so  7 hours  at the DLT

Through the day I heard people saying they only process 120 licences per day..you have to get there early (doors at 8 AM but there will be a queue already)

to get a low number and chance of getting everything done same day,

the place was packed all day  because they also do vehicle inspections and deal with blue/green book tax and plates too.

P_20180824_154234.thumb.jpg.15a53d68c992bb934ae9f361b69cec13.jpgP_20180824_154220.thumb.jpg.e18148fe9c1090afee8480d3120c8eac.jpgP_20180824_102946.thumb.jpg.4c2117aa847b3dee09668fb999203d93.jpgP_20180824_102939.thumb.jpg.5edf35d4de94dfe17ba21d0d6074680c.jpg

A first for me  a Thai  driving school pickup truck..I wonder if it has dual foot pedals ?P_20180824_124613.thumb.jpg.1dc1a58405fe127a4d821841bb13241d.jpg

• Like 1

So yesterday I went to the Pattaya/Banglamung   DLT  to renew my  5 year licences !!!!!
Documents I took where
Certificate of residence  one original and  a few copies
( 300 baht at Jomtien wait 20 mins check they got your info correct !! )
Copy of Passport data page  and visa page + original passport
Copy of old licences   ( car and bike) + original licences

As the number 7 motorway now has tolls (and motorbikes are not supposed to even use the motorway)
I took the exit just before the first toll booth and  Google maps took me on a very windy country road route but got there eventually  at 8.45 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9687955,100.9726157,3a,75y,176.21h,70.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRcqsFSf_E5byB-Yyk71DWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Take a ticket from machine at the foot of the stairs press  "number 1 for foreigners"
then wait for the ticket number to be displayed on the LED display above the ticket machine
if it's not your number they send you downstairs again to wait !

So upstairs at table 11 the employee checks my documents...you should sign all copies
then she gives me the application forms  sign and telephone number
finally gave me a red ticket number 113 ( should have known it was an omen) and says come back to
training room number 1 at  1.00 PM !!!    ( its about 9.30 AM now)

After a looooong wait   its finally 1pm    go up stairs again to training room number 1,
employee tells foreigners  to write their name in a book ..then takes all the Thai out of the room for about  30 mins while we sit there twiddling thumbs..Thai  file in slowly and write their names in the book..time to watch the video ??   nope  now we all go outside to do the eyesight and reaction tests
(which no one failed even though most got red lights on the reaction test )

So now back into room number 1 and watch the video ( screen was to small to read the subtitles)
then employee calls out your name to collect your stamped and signed license application/pass documents..which again you should sign.

So then outside again form a queue to pay
( this booth closes at 3.30pm if you can't pay in time...come back tomorrow..
there are no ATM machines nearby )
Motorcycle  305 baht
Car                555 baht
Given another number  and wait till they call number to take digital photo
after photo then wait (she said 20 minutes but it was quicker) they call your name or number
collect 2 shiny new licences  valid for 6 years.
Out of the building at 3.50 PM    so  7 hours  at the DLT

Through the day I heard people saying they only process 120 licences per day..you have to get there early (doors at 8 AM but there will be a queue already)
to get a low number and chance of getting everything done same day,
the place was packed all day  because they also do vehicle inspections and deal with blue/green book tax and plates too.
P_20180824_154234.thumb.jpg.15a53d68c992bb934ae9f361b69cec13.jpgP_20180824_154220.thumb.jpg.e18148fe9c1090afee8480d3120c8eac.jpgP_20180824_102946.thumb.jpg.4c2117aa847b3dee09668fb999203d93.jpgP_20180824_102939.thumb.jpg.5edf35d4de94dfe17ba21d0d6074680c.jpg

A first for me  a Thai  driving school pickup truck..I wonder if it has dual foot pedals ?P_20180824_124613.thumb.jpg.1dc1a58405fe127a4d821841bb13241d.jpg
I guess google navigation tries to take you through the tolls on the bike?

Did you understand the Reaction test? What was you meant to do?

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I guess google navigation tries to take you through the tolls on the bike?

Did you understand the Reaction test? What was you meant to do? 

I saw the toll booths up ahead and so took the  slip road off the motorway..apparently the newest Google maps (android) does have a motorbike friendly  option to avoid  motorway/tollway  and bridges overpasses that are restricted I didn't use it.

The reaction test is ...... you sit in the chair  there are  two pedals that simulate an automatic car/truck    (no clutch pedal)  accelerator and brake pedals .... you push the accelerator pedal until the circular red light comes on then as quick as you can press the brake pedal..before the vertical row of LED lights illuminate into the red area if red displays a buzzer sounds....id say 70% failed that test ohh well never mind !

edit  you do this reaction test  even for a motorcycle licence..so bike only riders may be at a disadvantage as well as manual gearbox drivers..who possibly get confused without a clutch pedal , I know I was when I first tried an auto car...kept stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time  until I trained my right foot to do all the pedalling ?

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

I saw the toll booths up ahead and so took the  slip road off the motorway..apparently the newest Google maps (android) does have a motorbike friendly  option to avoid  motorway/tollway  and bridges overpasses that are restricted I didn't use it.

The reaction test is ...... you sit in the chair  there are  two pedals that simulate an automatic car/truck    (no clutch pedal)  accelerator and brake pedals .... you push the accelerator pedal until the circular red light comes on then as quick as you can press the brake pedal..before the vertical row of LED lights illuminate into the red area if red displays a buzzer sounds....id say 70% failed that test ohh well never mind !

edit  you do this reaction test  even for a motorcycle licence..so bike only riders may be at a disadvantage as well as manual gearbox drivers..who possibly get confused without a clutch pedal , I know I was when I first tried an auto car...kept stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time  until I trained my right foot to do all the pedalling [emoji39]
I set my google navigation to motorcycle and no tolls but it still took me to that toll. So google needs updating it seems.

That reaction test is weird, when i did it it wasn't really explained, no wonder loads of people fail and it doesn't matter

Just a heads up for people going to this office for DL

It is extremely busy and Farlangs are being turned away in preference to Thais, I was in the line from 12 midday for the afternoon session and when I reached the counter I was told to come back the next day at 7am, it didn't matter what my ticket number was, Thais who came in after with higher numbers than me were being allowed to progress and not being told to come back

It seems there are a lot of Thais that do not have a licence and want to avoid being fined lol

On 2/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, bert bloggs said:

sorry ,not a senior moment , i was in the office 11 years ago , i had a 1 year licence ,which i changed for a new one , thinking it would be 5 years , but no it was for 11 , now as we have lived here for 12 years , 1 plus 11 equals 12 . you can all go on and on as long as you like but thats it , and i shall be there next month for my new one , which i am sure will not be 11 years , but hey ho we can but hope .so duh to you lol

I actually just renewed and got 10 years, very nice surprise indeed.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Kullamannen said:

I actually just renewed and got 10 years, very nice surprise indeed.

really ?

based on what, are you sure

how old are you, how many 5 year licences have you had ?

oh and for those renewing a 5 year licence - I was not asked for a medical Cert

21 minutes ago, smedly said:

really ?

Maybe its based on nationality...I think they pulled some Ozzie or New Zealanders aside for something different ??  while I was there last week.

and yes no medical certificate required from 5 to 5 years ?

Would be nice to see a scan of this 10 year license   blur out all the personal info though !

drivers.jpg.c25a0463a02fe2db2997de0d7e78fd9d.jpg

Edited by johng
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

really ?

Yes i am sure, nothing wrong with my eyes ?. I have been here for close to 25 years and made several licences, just turned 50 so that might affect, I do not know. On another note, some wrote that you need a copy of your VISA, not needed (at least for "5 year renewal"). You need a copy of your entry stamp page. 

9 minutes ago, Kullamannen said:

Yes i am sure, nothing wrong with my eyes ?. I have been here for close to 25 years and made several licences, just turned 50 so that might affect, I do not know. On another note, some wrote that you need a copy of your VISA, not needed (at least for "5 year renewal"). You need a copy of your entry stamp page. 

That is truly weird, I am on my 3rd 5 year licence and passed 50 during that time and held a Thai driving licence for both car and motorbike for just over 14 years, my new licence expires 2024 (written in English on licence), Thai nationals get max 5-6 years.

It is obviously an error but hey …..…………. 

That is truly weird, I am on my 3rd 5 year licence and passed 50 during that time and held a Thai driving licence for both car and motorbike for just over 14 years, my new licence expires 2024 (written in English on licence), Thai nationals get max 5-6 years.

It is obviously an error but hey …..…………. 

It’s certainly a nice error to have, but just make sure that the Thai date is also in 10 years....I’m sure it will be.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, smedly said:

my new licence expires 2024 (written in English on licence), Thai nationals get max 5-6 years.

It is obviously an error but hey

What error?

You seem to have done your renewal just after the expiry (your last birthday).

On the expiry date in 2024 you will be 6 years older (your birthday).

If you had gone just before expiry it would have been valid until your birthday in 2023.

Completely normal. Mine expires on 12 March 2024.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What error?

You seem to have done your renewal just after the expiry (your last birthday).

On the expiry date in 2024 you will be 6 years older (your birthday).

If you had gone just before expiry it would have been valid until your birthday in 2023.

Completely normal. Mine expires on 12 March 2024.

try reading back a few pages before posting then you might actually be involved in the conversation

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 11:21 AM, smedly said:

try reading back a few pages before posting then you might actually be involved in the conversation

If you birthday is on 19. August and you renew a 5 years license on 22. August you'll get almost 6 years. Normal procedure.

If you been there shortly before your birthday license would expire one year earlier. That is the system and not an error.

Where is the scan of the license that expires in 2028 or 2029?

Why would one make the license of elderly foreigners have a longer validity?????
If anything makes sense the validity should get shorter as older the driver gets, as for most people eyesight and reaction time usually not improves with old age.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, uwe_rayong said:

If you birthday is on 19. August and you renew a 5 years license on 22. August you'll get almost 6 years. Normal procedure.

If you been there shortly before your birthday license would expire one year earlier. That is the system and not an error.

Where is the scan of the license that expires in 2028 or 2029?

Why would one make the license of elderly foreigners have a longer validity?????
If anything makes sense the validity should get shorter as older the driver gets, as for most people eyesight and reaction time usually not improves with old age.

not sure why you replied to me - maybe you are confused, I already know all this, the issue is about someone claiming they got a lot longer than 6 years on renewal

It is suspected to be either an error or it wasn't done through an unofficial route perhaps

Edited by smedly

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, Gandtee said:

Thanks for that. Any update on whether Jomtien has stopped issuing Residency Certificates?

I just got a new Residency Certificate from Jomtien about 90 minutes ago.

First question they ask (when you ask for "Desk 9") is if you have a "1 year visa". I'm guessing if you say no, they won't give you a Certificate (and no, I don't know why and didn't ask as they were very busy and I was more concerned about getting it than why others may not be able to anymore).

I just got a new Residency Certificate from Jomtien about 90 minutes ago.

First question they ask (when you ask for "Desk 9") is if you have a "1 year visa". I'm guessing if you say no, they won't give you a Certificate (and no, I don't know why and didn't ask as they were very busy and I was more concerned about getting it than why others may not be able to anymore).

Interesting. It means if i can't get a residency certificate for my 2 year driving licence renewal then I'll have to ride illegally without a thai licence. Oh well, similar to lots of Thais

As recommended I went very early (7.30am) to the DLT to get one of those low queue numbers. Unfortunately, the desk upstairs for the Thais (with queue numbers starting at 500) opened way before desk 11, the one for foreigners, so that I got a «red card» (the one you need for passing the tests) with a number so high that I had to return at 1PM for the afternoon sessions.

After passing the eyes test (color blindness and distance perception were the only tests, no reaction test), listening to the video in the training room, signing attendance book and paying fees (car 555, bike 305), I finally got a blue card, and be told... «Come back tomorrow, cannot take picture, broken today».

Sh..t happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a bit more of run out i'd recommend Chonburi 

Went to Chonburi city to change my car from Bangkok to Chonburi and get new plates all done in 2 hours ! (Previously it took a couple of weeks to get new plates)
Nipped up stairs to renew my car licence ,copy passport visa,letter from immigration and old licence (No medical letter needed here )
Straight onto doing a couple of eye tests and brake test and line up the 2 poles , Ten minutes in video room then back out to pay and get licence 555 baht and all done in an hour !

Bonus i got nearly five & half years on a sixty day tourist visa ????

• Like 1