Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

Firstly thanks for your reply. Seriously why does the DLT office go through all this crap. I've had a Thai drivers license for 22 years and everything use to get done by going to the office  one time. It was suggested that the office was getting over crowded, which should've been easily fixed by entry is for license holders only.

• 2 weeks later...

Renewing my car/bike licences soon. What's the latest on getting an appointment. I tried the DLT Smart Queue but Bang Lamung doesn't seem to be available. Is the only option to go there in person to get the appointment. Do you have to go early like 8-9 am or can you do it any time during the day.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

i read yesterday that you don't have to book in advance now for the DL

Is that the case for Pattaya Bang Lamung. You don't need an appointment for licence renewal, just turn up?

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is that the case for Pattaya Bang Lamung. You don't need an appointment for licence renewal, just turn up?

I went there last Monday so here's what I can tell you. Firstly when you're in front of the main building keep to the left and you'll see about 30 chairs, sit down there. A lady will come around giving everyone a queue number. When your number is called you go to the outside left desk and she will check your documents. Passport, Drivers License and Doctors Certificate also you also need to do the test online and have copies of all of them. Including that you passed the online test. After she's checked your documents she will give you a day to go back. You can choose either am ( 100 people ) or pm ( 30 people. ) She told me 9 am but if your not at least one hour early you wont get a parking spot.

2 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I went there last Monday so here's what I can tell you. Firstly when you're in front of the main building keep to the left and you'll see about 30 chairs, sit down there. A lady will come around giving everyone a queue number. When your number is called you go to the outside left desk and she will check your documents. Passport, Drivers License and Doctors Certificate also you also need to do the test online and have copies of all of them. Including that you passed the online test. After she's checked your documents she will give you a day to go back. You can choose either am ( 100 people ) or pm ( 30 people. ) She told me 9 am but if your not at least one hour early you wont get a parking spot.

Thanks for that. So you don't need an appointment for this first visit, to present all your documents. After that you get an appointment to come back, for the licences?

No I think you only need your passport and drivers license to make an appointment. After living in Thailand for the past 22 years I know how some officials have their own take on whats required. So I just copied everything as above and let them take want they want. On the small chit you'll be given it will state any extra copied documents that are required.

• Agree 1

Have anyone used they yellow house book and pink ID card as proof of residence when apply to renew they 5 year licence.

Bang Chak Bangkok transport office will accept, but my name on the licence's will be written in Thai language, matching my name on the pink ID card.

The lady said if I use a 

residence certification from immigration my name will be in english same as my passport.

Question I'm asking is have anyone experienced this process will apply with they yellow house book and pink ID card ?

9 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Have anyone used they yellow house book and pink ID card as proof of residence when apply to renew they 5 year licence.

Bang Chak Bangkok transport office will accept, but my name on the licence's will be written in Thai language, matching my name on the pink ID card.

The lady said if I use a 

residence certification from immigration my name will be in english same as my passport.

Question I'm asking is have anyone experienced this process will apply with they yellow house book and pink ID card ?

I use my yellow book for everything regarding proof of address, my name is in Thai in my yellow book..

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

The lady said if I use a 

(Jan 2020) I used my Yellow Book (and Pink ID) for renewal of my 5 year DL at BangChak DLT (DLT Area 3 Bangkok, next to Sukhmuvit 99).

On both my Thai Driving and Motorcycle Licenses my Name is printed in both Thai and English.

Thus: It would appear that the lady at the DLT may well have made a mistake, or rather not provided you with complete information, as yes, your name will be printed in Thai, and also in English !... 

If I'm not mistaken - the Thai DL is also printed in both Thai and English for Thai's - this is so they can used it overseas.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 12.09.06.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I use my yellow book for everything regarding proof of address, my name is in Thai in my yellow book..

Did you use your yellow house book and pink ID card to renew your driving licences ?.

If you did, is your name printed on your Thai driving license in Thai or English ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

(Jan 2020) I used my Yellow Book (and Pink ID) for renewal of my 5 year DL at BangChak DLT (DLT Area 3 Bangkok, next to Sukhmuvit 99).

On both my Thai Driving and Motorcycle Licenses my Name is printed in both Thai and English.

Thus: IMO the lady at the DLT may well have made a mistake unless something has changed.

Great thank you, that's the answer I wanted to see.

Reason I'm asking is I use my Thai license in the UK to rent a car.

Rental car company will accept my Thai license because my name is in English march's my passport.

If my name was in Thai, then I would get refused a car, unless I get a international driving permit.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

If my name was in Thai, then I would get refused a car, unless I get a international driving permit.

You could pick up and IDP while you are there anyway - just to ensure your bases are covered. 

(the 1968 version is valid for 3 years so it could be useful when travelling elsewhere that requires you to show the 1968 one).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: It would appear that the lady at the DLT may well have made a mistake, or rather not provided you with complete information, as yes, your name will be printed in Thai, and also in English !... 

If I'm not mistaken - the Thai DL is also printed in both Thai and English for Thai's - this is so they can used it overseas.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 12.09.06.png

Great thanks for your reply. 

Very much appreciated for you taking time out.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its not easy to get it exact when sitting down and the distances are foreshortened... (thats the proximity part)... 

I recall standing up and being surprised that the sticks were about 6" apart - which was good enough for a pass at the time... 

just did mine last week, this test looked easy when standing up and watching other people do it, when sitting down the perception was a little different, had to be exact, I was one inch off on the first two tries she took me up and showed how much I was off, so I just compensated for what I was doing and then I passed, the test where you put your head in I thought she said click when you see a light which is what it was the last time I went, no I was wrong they just flipped up a little white flapper in a hole, so I am looking for a blinking light, she had to show me again how to do it, did pass but it was a little bit tryin, this will proabably be my last license, will be 83 if I am still alive when the next one is due

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Great thanks for your reply. 

Very much appreciated for you taking time out.

better check, my last  one I used my yellow book, but last week they would not accept it, so off to Immigration for a Certificate of Residence, three hour round trip.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

better check, my last  one I used my yellow book, but last week they would not accept it, so off to Immigration for a Certificate of Residence, three hour round trip.

This was in Rayong

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, flexomike said:
17 minutes ago, flexomike said:

This was in Rayong

I think the proof is only in the pudding... 

There are reports of Some DLT's not accepting the Yellow House Book as proof of Address, which IMO is completely ridiculous as it is the 'ultimate proof of address' that can be given.... 

DLT at Area 3 in Bangkok did accept the Yellow House Book (3.5 yrs ago) - but that you point out that can easily change with the wind direction. 

Though, I wouldn't go there and 'ask' if they accept it... on the premise of 'never as a question you may not like the answer to'...  because if someone is unsure, they'll just say no... whereas, if you are 'going through the process'...  they may just run with it.

I would like to read of a sensible explanation of why the Yellow House Book is not accepted at some DLT's while it is at most...    It seems someone in their position of decision making power was not sure what the book was and decided that they don't accept it - and then that legacy error has passed through without question as no one questions those in authority here.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are reports of Some DLT's not accepting the Yellow House Book as proof of Address, which IMO is completely ridiculous as it is the 'ultimate proof of address' that can be given.... 

DLT at Area 3 in Bangkok did accept the Yellow House Book (3.5 yrs ago) - but that you point out that can easily change with the wind direction. 

Though, I wouldn't go there and 'ask' if they accept it... on the premise of 'never as a question you may not like the answer to'...  because if someone is unsure, they'll just say no... whereas, if you are 'going through the process'...  they may just run with it.

I would like to read of a sensible explanation of why the Yellow House Book is not accepted at some DLT's while it is at most...    It seems someone in their position of decision making power was not sure what the book was and decided that they don't accept it - and then that legacy error has passed through without question as no one questions those in authority here.

One thing I forgot was that the lady said because the pink card is only technically good for the provence issued that it would be the same for the drivers license, didn't want to get into a pissing contest with her because she had already busted my balls for not wearing long pants, had a brand new pair of shorts and a nice shirt, my bad

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I just send a message to a agency which based in OnNut ares of Bangkok.

She asked me to send a screenshot of my yellow house book and pink ID card via the LINK app, she said no problem transport office will accept.

The agency uses the Bang Chak Bangkok transport office division 3, I many use the them to renew as the fee isn't that expensive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

completely ridiculous as it is the 'ultimate proof of address' that can be given.... 

I agree 💯%, the amount of hoops I had to jump through to get the yellow house book and pink ID card, and then they say sorry... can't accept I need letter from immigration.

Make's my blood boil !!!

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, flexomike said:

One thing I forgot was that the lady said because the pink card is only technically good for the provence issued that it would be the same for the drivers license,

IMO not correct...  Although some people try and argue this point in threads debating Pink ID. 

Its been discussed a lot before...

The translation of what is said in the back of the DL.

[ In the case of driving outside the area, use it together with a permission letter to leave the area ]

This is a poor google translation - Your Passport is permission to leave the area (freedom to travel all over Thailand) and this supersedes limitations of the validity of a Pink ID within your province. 

The DL is tied to your Name, DOB, Photo and your identification number for Non-Thai's (in Yellow Book and Pink ID).

57 minutes ago, flexomike said:

didn't want to get into a pissing contest with her because she had already busted my balls for not wearing long pants, had a brand new pair of shorts and a nice shirt, my bad

This sounds like the same grumpy witch I had...  (at DLT Area 3, Bangkok - nr Sukhumvit 99).

I was wearing shorts (but had trousers as backup in the car).

The DLT lady told me that I couldn't go through the process as I was not wearing trousers.

Out of a group of about 20 of us being funnelled through the 'in-class-testing'... I was one foreigner, everyone else Thai.

I pointed out the 3 Thai guys also wearing shorts - she didn't like that.

I then went out, changed into my trousers and quickly returned, she really didn't like that.

A little loss of face on her part I think...  I was not her favourite person, I just got the impression that she didn't like foreigners.

I hardly ever have any issue at all with Thai's or anyone else here, so I put that one down to her being a miserable witch, some people are just like that, whoever we are and however we behave.

• Like 1

Just looked at my two Thai driving licences, the info on it is in Thai and repeated in English, but, they have written my name in English on the Thai bit as well....😋

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, transam said:

Just looked at my two Thai driving licences, the info on it is in Thai and repeated in English, but, they have written my name in English on the Thai bit as well....😋

Ya gotta love the consistency..... 

While we're all getting hung-up on rules and regulations... the Thai's just don't care, even those in authority !!!  :neus:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ya gotta love the consistency..... 

While we're all getting hung-up on rules and regulations... the Thai's just don't care, even those in authority !!!  :neus:

All Thai government departments are like having a good $**t, the jobs not complete until the paper work is done.