Can I send money from my Thai bank account to my UK account?

No problems sending money back from your bank (best to check with them whether there are any limits).

Wise don't (or didn't last time I checked) do transfers out of Thailand, would recommend checking out https://www.deemoney.com/ who are likely to provide better rates / cheaper transfers than your bank,

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

No problems sending money back from your bank (best to check with them whether there are any limits).

Wise don't (or didn't last time I checked) allow you to transfer money out of Thailand, would recommend you check out https://www.deemoney.com/ who are likely to provide better rates / cheaper transfers than your bank,

Thanks for your reply. I meant can I do it via online banking? I am not looking for the best rate or anything complicated just enquiring about the legal right to move money out of the country and the simplest.  I am surprised I can't use wise. I presumed I could put baht in my Thai wise account then convert it to sterling.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Wise does not, I just checked a couple of weeks ago.

I send money from my Thai bank (Not to the UK , but to Greece) with no problem, a couple of days later it was in the receivers  account, I was surprised at the speed.

It was actually easier doing it or our internet banking site than personally going to the bank. At the bank they required a bunch of information that was not required in line.  

Yes its always easier and faster using internet banking. Do you use swift to send money to Greece? Is there a limit?

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes its always easier and faster using internet banking. Do you use swift to send money to Greece? Is there a limit?

I guess we used swift because it required a routing number. I think the limit was a Million baht. I only send $2,000, it was easy, quick and painless. We used Kasikorn bank. Different bank might have different limits

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I guess we used swift because it required a routing number. I think the limit was a Million baht. I only send $2,000, it was easy, quick and painless. We used Kasikorn bank. Different bank might have different limits

I don't know any other system other than Swift for international transfers which I used to use every month to send money from UK to Thailand until I discovered Transferwise

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't know any other system other than Swift for international transfers which I used to use every month to send money from UK to Thailand until I discovered Transferwise

From the US to Thailand we also use Wise, unfortunately as of yet wise does not send money out of Thailand, so we used our Thai bank to make a bank to bank transfer. I  also think swift is the only way for bank to bank, but I don't know that for a fact so I did not say.

I have been coming and living in Thailand for over 14 years, and over the years I have heard that it was difficult to get money out of Thailand, and to record the money I brought in because one day I might have to take it out. I was surprised at how easy it was. Perhaps it is harder for large amounts. 

I regularly cash out some of my BTC holdings, then send the money by SWIFT telegraphic transfer from Kasikorn to my account in Germany. Absolutely flawless and painless experience. EUR amount converted from THB reflected on my Berlin account within days. Just provided my IBAN, Swift/BIC code and other personal details.

I can only speak for transfers to the UK via Kasikorn, using the the K+ App, I've done it a number of times without any issius, no visits to a branch, no documents and no work permit, I imagine other banks have something similar.

The limit is $49,999.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/international-business/global-money-transfer/pages/international-transferviakplus.aspx

• Like 2

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I can only speak for transfers to the UK via Kasikorn, using the the K+ App, I've done it a number of times without any issius, no visits to a branch, no documents and no work permit, I imagine other banks have something similar.

The limit is $49,999.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/international-business/global-money-transfer/pages/international-transferviakplus.aspx

I have also an account with K-bank. I can login to their online site at

https://online.kasikornbankgroup.com/K-Online/login.jsp?lang=en

as well but I do not have installed K+App so I wonder if one can also transfer money using their cyber banking site. A related question is if I can install K+App while I am outside Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Olssson said:

I have also an account with K-bank. I can login to their online site at

https://online.kasikornbankgroup.com/K-Online/login.jsp?lang=en

as well but I do not have installed K+App so I wonder if one can also transfer money using their cyber banking site. A related question is if I can install K+App while I am outside Thailand.

I think you can use the online service but you need to register each account you're send cash to by completing a form and sending it to the bank for approval, with the app it's all done on the app.

I don't know if you can install the App from overseas, but you have to set up the account via the app on a phone whose number that Kasikorn have on file for you, so I suspect you can't, though I don't know for sure. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I think you can use the online service but you need to register each account you're send cash to by completing a form and sending it to the bank for approval, with the app it's all done on the app.

I don't know if you can install the App from overseas, but you have to set up the account via the app on a phone whose number that Kasikorn have on file for you, so I suspect you can't, though I don't know for sure. 

Thanks for your reply.

Actually the phone number which is registered with my K-bank account for OTP is working outside Thailand so I can try to install the K+App. However, in the link for K+ App which you sent in your previous post, I noticed that that Swedish krona (SEK) is not included among the currencies which can be transferred to so it looks like I will have to leave the money in the account for the time being.

My K-bank debit card has expired and I gather they won't send out new card overseas either.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:18 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

SWIFT(Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) is a transfer protocol as is IBAN(International Bank Account Number). Thailand as a country uses SWIFT so all funds in and out of Thailand will be by SWIFT transfer.

The UK, Europe and parts of the middle east use the IBAN setup, so if you send funds from the UK to Europe it would be via IBAN rather than SWIFT.

One of the main differences is the codes, SWIFT uses 8 and 11 character codes(11 includes the branch) whereas IBAN uses a 16 character code.

Thailand only uses 11 character codes for business accounts, personal accounts use the 8 character code so funds cannot be transferred directly to a personal account on the SWIFT code alone.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:37 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Wise don't (or didn't last time I checked) do transfers out of Thailand, would recommend checking out https://www.deemoney.com/ who are likely to provide better rates / cheaper transfers than your bank,

Deemoney rates area actually not as good as the couple of banks and Western Union that are authorised to send wire transfers offshore, and from my recent experience last week those banks all use Western Union,  and having a recipient's bank account credited using SWIFT is expensive fee wise for some reason. 1200THB for the first 70k THB and then 300THB for each 30k THB thereafter. Each bank has it's own limits. The only banks I've been able to ascertain that will send money overseas, from an individual's account, are Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, SCB, Krung Thai Bank and the Agriculture Bank, and even then they will only send under certain circumstances and you MUST produce documentation to support your reason for sending the money.  So in my case I will have to use Deemoney and cop the higher rate but gain on the fees.

Deemoney were quite surprised yesterday when I emailed them the rates for Western Union and the aforementioned banks when their FX rates were higher than WU and the banks, especially as they advertise as having the lowest rates. However, their fees are considerably lower, and if you've never used them before your first transaction has no fees. They do have a maximum of 800k THB per transaction.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:43 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Thanks for your reply. I meant can I do it via online banking? I am not looking for the best rate or anything complicated just enquiring about the legal right to move money out of the country and the simplest.  I am surprised I can't use wise. I presumed I could put baht in my Thai wise account then convert it to 

It used to be almost impossible to send funds back to the UK without going to the bank here in Thailand and producing lots of paperwork , old FET certificates , contracts ect.

Around 2 years ago Dmoney appeared here in Thailand and made it easy to send funds back to the UK using there mobile phone app.

Although limited to around 650,000 thb per day.

Very recently though the SCB , Kasikorn and Krungsri banks have now started allowing you to transfer funds to the UK via there mobile phone apps.

As another person quoted on here forget about Wise they do not have the licenses to allow you to transfer funds out of Thailand but as you are probably aware you can use Wise to transfer funds into Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can use the Krung Thai app through mobile banking to send 200,000 baht a day to UK but instead I send it via Dee money which has better rates and is cheaper with higher limits of around 700,000 baht in one transfer.

On the flip side, to send money in I use Wise transfers. My most recent transfer this week took 24 seconds from Wise in the UK to being in my Krung Thai bank account. I know this because Wise informed me as it happened in real time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I can use the Krung Thai app through mobile banking to send 200,000 baht a day to UK but instead I send it via Dee money which has better rates and is cheaper with higher limits of around 700,000 baht in one transfer.

On the flip side, to send money in I use Wise transfers. My most recent transfer this week took 24 seconds from Wise in the UK to being in my Krung Thai bank account. I know this because Wise informed me as it happened in real time.

My Wise transactions never take less than a day from wise to Krungsri . All my Krungsri transactions  take one day even inter  bank in Thailand.

I have sent money from Thailand with Wise just to test if it was possible. I don't recommend it as you cant send in THB and you will get a bad exchange rate. I paid in USD with a Thai debit card.

Still struggling to set up international transfers with SCB.. Endless paperwork. I think i now have to print some documents and bring them to a branch for approval. Have not got around to do that yet.

Tried the SCB app also which seemed straight forward, but it ended up being returned -the fee.. No idea what i did wrong.

On 11/27/2021 at 12:17 PM, kokesaat said:

I used SCB's phoneapp to transfer from my Thai account to my US account.....88 Baht fee

Hello 

question : I have SCBeasy app, but it doesn't work , I think becausethat for some reason, I have not NFC  installed on it 

but I have SCB easy on my desktop computer : can I send money, using SCB easy on computer, from my Thai SCB account to my european bank ( France ) ? 

Thanks 

On 11/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, theoldgit said:

The limit is $49,999.

Thanks for the info.

reading the link I find this:

Funds can be transferred with one of the 16 objectives: 

• (1) Payment of imported and exported products
  • (2) Students’ expenses
  • (3) Consultant’s fee
  • (4) Income repatriation by workers
  • (5) Remittance to family members or relatives who have a permanent residence in other countries
  • (6) International travel expenses – others
  • (7) Travel expenses – tourists
  • (8) Fares
  • (9) Healthcare expenses
  • (10) Shipping costs
  • (11) Insurance and reinsurance premiums on goods
  • (12) Indemnity for goods
  • (13) News service fees
  • (14) Advertisement costs
  • (15) Property rental
  • (16) Private sector grants

In my case I just want to send money Back to my account in Europe where they come from before. What I have to put as object? 

30 minutes ago, marino28 said:

In my case I just want to send money Back to my account in Europe where they come from before. What I have to put as object? 

I’ve just picked one of the reasons at random, and it’s worked every time.

I’ve sent to the UK, Singapore and Malaysia.

I think that once when I sent to Singapore it asked for details of the recipient, so I picked another one and it went through.