Why Chinese electric cars are causing a buzz in Thailand

webfact

8 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

NRXA.gif

Or perhaps a nice little micro-USB charger like my phone uses...it would be convenient if the same one fitted the phone, my netbook, the spare power bank for the phone, as well as the car.....until the day the Mrs unplugs the car to charge her Samsung!

Edited by jacko45k

I’m looking into getting a Chinese made EV the difference is I’m looking at importing direct from China as there is an agreement with China that states 20 % tax on import duties rather having to go through a Thai EV Company I can then shop around and choose what vehicle appeals to me here in Thailand a Nissan Leaf is just short of 2 million baht and has less distance in the battery than a Chinese vehicle that will cost you less than a million including the import duties 

4 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Given Chinese EVs have 0% tax here in Thailand, they are over-priced by some margin. China has 300 EV manufacturers and is way ahead of Europe in battery development. Sadly their offerings have too much nasty hard plastic throughout most of the interior.

My understanding that there is an agreement Free Trade with China where import duty for an EV is 20% better to buy direct from China .when I built my property all my electrical fittings throughout the property came from China my swimming pool lighting was 60% cheaper than Thailand 3 years on and I’ve had no issues .

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

No need, really to show your jewhate in an article about Chinese products.

Nothing to do with Jews at all. My best friend is a jew. We are talking about the state of Israel not jews. There is a difference whether you acknowledge it or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My understanding that there is an agreement Free Trade with China where import duty for an EV is 20% better to buy direct from China .when I built my property all my electrical fittings throughout the property came from China my swimming pool lighting was 60% cheaper than Thailand 3 years on and I’ve had no issues .

Legend has it that when the FTA was drafted up, the only 'EV' fitting description was golf carts and was overlooked, hence China managed to sneak past all the Japanese and European/Western manufacturer in being to import their electric cars duty free (other taxes like excise etc still applies of course but they managed to one up all the legacy automotive industry with vested interest and lobbying power in Thailand)

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

But you have no problems buying your fuel from middle eastern hardcore dictatorships that support islamistic terrorism?

"Never buy something from Israel" sounds a bit like the Nazi-slogan "Don't buy from Jews"

What a bigoted comment. 

Sad when people don't know the difference between a state and a people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

You may take the piff but even in the UK, Chinese electric cars are impressing the pundits

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/mg/mg-zs-ev-review-cheap-cheerful-whole-lot-besides/

Not the best of reviews.

You can bet that a significant number of potential buyers think MGs are still made in Abingdon .. their ancestral home just outside Oxford, England.

2 hours ago, sezze said:

Are you aware that China makes a lot of products ? Claiming China makes bad quality is just not true , since China makes everything . They make the cheapest things which break down in a day upto high end material which does last longer then you . If it is very cheap and it breaks down , you claim , prob correct oh it is Chinese . While the good quality thing next to it , which you paid a lot more for , is prob Chinese made also . You do get what you pay for , you can't make a good smartphone for 1500 baht , while the Iphone of 40000 baht is made in China also ( i am no Apple lover , but they do make good phones ) . In cars , Tesla 3 is produced in China , Polestar is Chinese . In just about every piece of equipment , China makes all of them , some being lowest of the low , others being highest of the high , and everything in the middle . 

Tesla is making cars themselves, while iPhone is made in China by a Taiwanese company, Foxconn. Perhaps foreign management has a role to play in producing complex quality products in China.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Locomotives are not "cheap" items which is why I included that link. If they can't make good locos, what hope for cars? Are you willing to risk it at that price?

Anyway, I have a friend that works for the telephone company and he was telling me about a very expensive piece of equipment from China that didn't work, and when they opened it up it was junk. Obviously I can't prove that on here, but he had no reason to lie about it. Maybe in 20 years they will be where Japan was in the 90s.

So is that locomotive produced by a state company? Xi is now having companies be overseen by a party boss, and foreign companies working in China are concerned by this new policy.

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

Think its good to separate the common folks from the govt whenever  possible as people n businesses are just victims caught in the crossfire these days ..

US Companies lost tens of billions of $ when the govt ordered them to stop selling products n services to Chinese manufacturers n the Trade war was in reality a great loss for US consumers n companies .

Just like all Chinese companies had to comply to govt edicts, the same thing is occurring in the US where Google had to immediately stop licensing Android to Chinese phone makers when instructed to do so ...

Technically, this also means Apple n Google will be forced to allow their phones to be used for surveillance purposes if the govt orders them to do so  n to also share all data with them whenever requested ...

Which ironically is the excuse they are using to have Huawei phones banned  .. 

For those who are obsessed, the best way to ensure privacy these days is to live like Fred Flintstone

Actually the US government tried to get Apple to provide a means to read messages on iPhones of criminals, but Apple defeated the US government in the courts. However, the US government does have the power to implement export controls. It's interesting the NSO Pegasus spy software is supposedly not allowed to be used in the US.

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

You are right, battery replacement cost is expensive too
Only hope that hydrogen will turn up to be safe n not morph up to be another Hindenburg disaster

Let's hope that these cars with Chinese batteries don't spontaneously combust!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

It comes as no surprise to me that China is taking a lead in future products. Wealth through commerce will help tone down militarism going forward. No one needs a nuke on their manufacturing.

As for plastic use, all modern cars use a lot of plastic. Generally, 75% of volume and 10% of weight per vehicle. Lowering the weight is why EVs can go so far. The electric cars of a hundred years ago were made of steel and wood and went 30 to 80 miles on a charge. 

If Chinese EVs go far and are low cost and comfortable then people will buy them. If they break down often, then they will disappear or be improved. Almost a million baht for one certainly make it too pricey today. Mind you, I remember the first small, chrome-covered Japanese Datsuns and people laughed their socks off. Where is the British car industry today?

The world back in the 1990s was hoping that if China got wealthy it would tend towards democracy and thus pose less of a threat to peace. Unfortunately, such hope was ill founded, more like wishful thinking by people who did not understand Chinese culture. Now the rise of Xi is exposing the fallacy in their thinking.

If the market is flooded with subsidized Chinese cars, other companies may be forced from the market because they cannot compete on price, never mind that a few years later these Chinese cars prove to be inferior.

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I respect your position on Taiwan, and we could add the Uighur and Hong Kong. However, the world economy is so globalized and complex nowadays that it's basically impossible to avoid completely the products from one specific country. I believe that you are using at this very moment much more than a chopstick from China. And frankly, if I had to follow politics over economics, there are a few other big countries I would have to avoid.

The CCP govt is a disgrace, every bit as bad as Gen. Douglas MacArthur forecast it would be many years ago. Personally I try to avoid, as much as is possible, buying anything made in China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Which is great for them but in the foreseeable future battery technology is unlikely to get near the refuelling speed of filling up your tank with petrol or gas.

Not so. EV batteries that can charge in 5 minutes have already been produced. They do require higher powered charging devices than used currently - but the batteries themselves are already here.

Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced

2 hours ago, vinci said:

here's my take on electric car, I believed that China will bypass every other country on electric car, combustion engine need to be engineer to perfection, many moving parts, many manufacture parts, China doesn't have the capability to deal with combustion engine, that is why they steal idea, but electric motor is less complex, all you need is a motor and battery and you're done, there is nothing special about an electric motor, we use it everyday and everything have a electric motor, with that in mind they (China) can produce same or even better electric car as any other country.

Batteries of the future are the question, not the electric motor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I’m looking into getting a Chinese made EV the difference is I’m looking at importing direct from China as there is an agreement with China that states 20 % tax on import duties rather having to go through a Thai EV Company I can then shop around and choose what vehicle appeals to me here in Thailand a Nissan Leaf is just short of 2 million baht and has less distance in the battery than a Chinese vehicle that will cost you less than a million including the import duties 

Wouldn't you want a car that has local service in case of a problem - a plastic part needing to be replaced? Also, a lot of Chinese car companies will go bankrupt. There are just too many. Who will provide the spare parts?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not so. EV batteries that can charge in 5 minutes have already been produced. They do require higher powered charging devices than used currently - but the batteries themselves are already here.

Available in 3 to 5 years...

I think such fast-charging batteries will be available to the mass market in three years,

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Lol just like cell phones when put in high or fast charge it will age your battery fast so a $5,000usd battery every few years he’ll no way jose

1 hour ago, placnx said:

The world back in the 1990s was hoping that if China got wealthy it would tend towards democracy and thus pose less of a threat to peace. Unfortunately, such hope was ill founded, more like wishful thinking by people who did not understand Chinese culture. Now the rise of Xi is exposing the fallacy in their thinking.

If the market is flooded with subsidized Chinese cars, other companies may be forced from the market because they cannot compete on price, never mind that a few years later these Chinese cars prove to be inferior.

Yes, the less efficient companies would be forced out of the market. I agree. But that is capitalism. 

27 minutes ago, portlandtree said:

Lol just like cell phones when put in high or fast charge it will age your battery fast so a $5,000usd battery every few years he’ll no way jose

If you read the article, that point is dealt with. It explains that scientists have developed a methodology that allows batteries to charge super fast, "but avoids the damage to the battery usually caused by heat."