Do you tip (in Thailand)?

FruitPudding

Hello guys,

So just wondering, do you tip here?

Whether it's in a restaurant, bar, hotel, waitresses, maids, waiters, delivery drivers, etc. etc. Do you tip? Do you tip the same as you would in your home country? Has you philosophy on tipping changed?

I know Americans are supposed to be 20% tippers (if the legend is correct) and I know in Australia it isn't normal to tip in a restaurant or anywhere (if the rumours are true).

Certainly, in Thailand: Thais don't tip - there simply isn't a tipping culture here.

Just curious how you guys go about tipping here in Thailand.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, timendres said:

Check the receipt. Many "establishments", expensive restaurants, bars, etc., will add a "service charge" of 10%. Otherwise, as an American, I cannot not tip. Too ingrained in my head. 5% to 20% depending, but often, as @CharlieH said, I just round up.

Some do 10%+7% VAT as well.

• Like 1

I round up in most places and a little bit more if they are under charging (70 bhat beer for example). Large hotels or restaurants that show service charge I rarely tip, but unfortunately I don't know where the service charge goes.

Slightly off topic; as much as I like the diversity of visiting the US, tipping in restaurants because they have adopted a crazy way of paying people and especially even more crazy 'resort fees' means my travels there are all but over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IME the majority of expatriates that tip have a wife that likes to show they have a wealthy farang, tell their husbands it's good to show "Greang jai" to the staff and encourage their stupid clueless husbands to throw down some tip money, but actually they just want to look big and have big face. Reality is that tipping is not really a thing in Thailand.

That being said, my wife likes to give some money to the maids in a hotel if the rooms were well serviced.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always give a generous tip to the lady kind enough to guide me to my home after a hard night out.

You raise a good point: there should be a reason to tip; it shouldn't be out of habit or something like that.

There have been only a few reasons this year that have caused me to feel compelled to tip, yet I tip regularly. Strange isn't it?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheScience said:

The coins and maybe an extra 20b note in restaurant. I don't eat anywhere that adds a service charge tbh. Never goes to staff anyway.

It's obvious that you never go to places who charge service charge. I do, and in many of them the service charge goes 100% to the staff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

IME the majority of expatriates that tip have a wife that likes to show they have a wealthy farang, tell their husbands it's good to show "Greang jai" to the staff and encourage their stupid clueless husbands to throw down some tip money, but actually they just want to look big and have big face. Reality is that tipping is not really a thing in Thailand.

That being said, my wife likes to give some money to the maids in a hotel if the rooms were well serviced.

When we stay in hotels, I always leave a tip for the maid(s). It's money "well invested" IMHO as the maids ensure that we are well looked after. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I always give a generous tip to the lady kind enough to guide me to my home after a hard night out.

One assumes there follows a hard night in too :whistling:

Fetching my coat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's obvious that you never go to places who charge service charge. I do, and in many of them the service charge goes 100% to the staff.

Are you sure about that? Because I heard it's completely, 100%, the opposite as in the staff gets zero.

Do you really think S&P or a 5 star hotel gives 10% to their staff?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I'll bite.

So they pay them b50 an hour plus tips.

So winning dude. Savior of the poor and downtrodden.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1