Do you tip (in Thailand)?

FruitPudding

Yeah, I often tip.

Normally about 50 Baht after a restaurant meal. Usually 20 Baht when I get petrol in the car or motorbike.

I never give my tips in coin (only notes) as I heard somewhere (probably on a previous thread on this topic) that Thais consider it a little insulting to be given spare coins and change.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Yeah, I often tip.

Normally about 50 Baht after a restaurant meal. Usually 20 Baht when I get petrol in the car or motorbike.

I never give my tips in coin (only notes) as I heard somewhere (probably on a previous thread on this topic) that Thais consider it a little insulting to be given spare coins and change.

Well, I must have insulted half the population by now.  Almost never have coins in my pockets when I empty them at night.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tipping is annoying here, the worst is golf caddy tipping 300+ baht compulsory tip, for a caddy you didn't even want.

Thai food street food no tip, 

farang restaurants girls expect a tip, i usually give a tip "ask the boss for a pay rise"

Best tip I was given ..... "Don't back the last horse in the first race"

No tips in department/grocery stores.

No tips where service seems overpriced.

As a returning customer, where there's a tip jar I might tip 20-40THB, electric repairs 10%, hair salon up to 50% that includes 1-2 people giving shampoos and hair stylist, taxis 20-40% depending on quick and reliable service. I don't tip street vendors.

In home country 10-15% if no service charge included, department/grocery stores excluded, sales people on commission and where no tipping is posted.

20 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Thais definitely tip, especially in tourist cities. Yes I tip, especially during the difficult times now that COVID has caused. I'm lucky to be at a point in my life where I don't have to worry about money ever so I'm usually probably what's considered over-generous and I don't care how it's perceived, good or bad, I do it for myself mostly because it makes me feel good to do it.

I agree with you completely.  All Thai people I know tip, usually about 10%.  In fact, a ten percent service charge is often added to many bills in nicer restaurants.  Like you, I tip, and I do so for the same reasons.  Most of the workers in restaurants, hotels, etc. are at the bottom of the pay scale.  They depend on tips and since I am able to tip, I do it.  Like you, I do it because I am able and because it helps those less fortunate than myself and it makes me feel good.  Frankly, I am not interested in what the custom is regarding tipping in other countries like Australia as I live here in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If there is service charge and vat then I don't tip period.

Otherwise i will tip depending on service. (massages i often tip 100bt or so)

Food, depends on the restaurant but usually yes and often we are in a group so the group pays and ads tip. Gets divided by the people in the group. 

The Americans are a bad example as companies on purpose don't pay their employees enough so they have to get tips hence the 20%. Otherwise the meal would be 20% more expensive and the workers would get that 20% so its not actually tipping. Its just supplementing the salary of people who are underpaid. 

Where i come from tipping is not normal and we pay waiters and such a better wage comparative to those in the US hence food and stuff is more expensive. 

This isn't America, nor is it where you come from.  You are comparing apples and oranges as the saying goes.  Many Thai people have low-paying jobs and tips are appreciated.  If you cannot afford to tip, then don't, but don't try to justify your lack of generosity by comparing the wages earned by waiters in your home country with the wages paid in Thailand.  I am sure that one of the reasons you choose to live here is that it is so much cheaper that where you come from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

No its stranger that you don't tip.

I could understand bad service.

Even Thais tip the little change given after paying the bill.

I can imagine the service people dreading you at the places you frequent.

Reading comprehension! I know it's hard!

Let me show you what I wrote: "There have been only a few reasons this year that have caused me to feel compelled to tip, yet I tip regularly. Strange isn't it?"

I even highlighted the part for you which says I tip regularly (cos I think you missed it).

The point is: while I tip regularly, I don't feel I have received anything more than mediocre service, and just do it out of etiquette (yet, from my experience it is not part of Thai etiquette).

And, yeah, this year I can think of only a few times where I felt the person did anything worth a tip. I always tip in my local down on Soi 4 Sukhumvit. The birds always remember your name and what you drink and their level of hospitality and good company is unrivalled. But most other places range from rude, to pushy, to incompetent, to mediocre (at best).

I was actually so grateful of my kid's tutor's immense effort that I happily paid her during our summer holiday while we were up country for a month this year; I certainly ain't stingy.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

This isn't America, nor is it where you come from.  You are comparing apples and oranges as the saying goes.  Many Thai people have low-paying jobs and tips are appreciated.  If you cannot afford to tip, then don't, but don't try to justify your lack of generosity by comparing the wages earned by waiters in your home country with the wages paid in Thailand.  I am sure that one of the reasons you choose to live here is that it is so much cheaper that where you come from.

Just explaining the reason for Americans to tip, let me guess your American. Its a well known fact that often shames Americans so they don't like to hear it. They love to think its generosity while it is not. That is why the federal minimum wage for tiped workers is only 2 dollars 13 and main federal minimum wage is 7 dollars 25. 

Anyway I wrote that I tip despite that is was uncommon in my country where we Do pay waiters and so on a normal wage. I was just explaining culture. 

But yes I tip at massages 100bt as mentioned, food no set rules depends on the price of the meal the quality of service and so on. Just not when service charge is added as that is the tip for those people. (or should be as the name implies).

I tip for good work, and good service I can easily afford it. No the price of living had nothing to do with me moving here. Mainly the climate and the fact that my GF who became my wife lived here. I had seen how hard it can be for Thais to adapt in other countries and I thought it would be easier for to live here. 

Years ago when I was preparing for my first visit to America, I was reading about going on holiday in the country, one statement said to expect to pay about 20% of your spending money on tips.

That was like a red cloth to a bull to be, so I deliberately avoided tipping anyone except the odd time I knew I was going back to a restaurant I had already dined in for obvious reasons.

I do not believe in tipping at all unless someone did more for me than what I was supposed to pay for.

I do however, always tip the girl who does my hair, as I depend on her so much.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What is SWMBO? Remember you are on a forum here, not texting on your smartphone.

I didn't know either. A quick google search shows: SWMBO, pronounced 'swimbo', is an acronym of 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', a tongue-in-cheek reference to a female partner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheScience said:

I really like not the option of not tipping.

The taxi, shuttle service in US is just petty extortion. I recall twice the private taxi driver and shuttle service stood near my bags but did not lift a finger and I pulled them out of the car. Then literally gave me hard looks for walking away and not giving them free money. Even if they grabbed my bags it doesn't mean they deserve 5.00 what the hell is wrong with people.

** In Thailand I almost always give taxi drivers another 10% sometimes 50b cross town.

I was driving a taxi in Scotland once, I dropped a guy and his wife off at a boarding house, there were steps leading up to it, the guy paid his fare, I gave him his change, then he asked me to take his two cases up the stairs. I just gave him a look and climbed in to the cab and drove away.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That most certainly is not true. (Although we might not always call it a tip!)

Correct, a Thai waitress I know does tip in bars and restaurants and elsewhere, 20 or 40 baht (her money, not mine) and also gives money to mobile street vendors without buying anything. Reasons: (1) showing compassion (2) looking after her karma. 

Obviously my western culture includes tipping so I do also. 

I also believe that Thais in restaurants often will leave the coins when their change comes, but maybe not the paper money. 

Edited by Speedhump
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this question has "done the rounds"

But my answer is:

Tips are NOT obligatory - anywhere, not even USA, for me!

I give tips when service and a good job, is over and above the call of duty!

I do not agree with pooling the tips, or tip boxes; a person gets the tip. I want them to know he/she served me well!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Reading comprehension! I know it's hard!

Let me show you what I wrote: "There have been only a few reasons this year that have caused me to feel compelled to tip, yet I tip regularly. Strange isn't it?"

I even highlighted the part for you which says I tip regularly (cos I think you missed it).

The point is: while I tip regularly, I don't feel I have received anything more than mediocre service, and just do it out of etiquette (yet, from my experience it is not part of Thai etiquette).

And, yeah, this year I can think of only a few times where I felt the person did anything worth a tip. I always tip in my local down on Soi 4 Sukhumvit. The birds always remember your name and what you drink and their level of hospitality and good company is unrivalled. But most other places range from rude, to pushy, to incompetent, to mediocre (at best).

I was actually so grateful of my kid's tutor's immense effort that I happily paid her during our summer holiday while we were up country for a month this year; I certainly ain't stingy.

Sorry about that.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:41 AM, timendres said:

Check the receipt. Many "establishments", expensive restaurants, bars, etc., will add a "service charge" of 10%. Otherwise, as an American, I cannot not tip. Too ingrained in my head. 5% to 20% depending, but often, as @CharlieH said, I just round up.

Always intrigued about American always leaving tips, not really a thing in the UK, certainly not in a pub if just drinking but perhaps after a good meal.

Do the tippers that always tip any service, how do you deal with tipping flight attendants on a plane that have looked after you for the last few hours?

Presuming you still tip on a plane?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Ouch!  Farang Kee Nok, is it?

I have never thought of Westerners as being stingy, especially here in Thailand. In fact, I often see a white knight syndrome where they perceive the locals to be poorer than they are and then are over-generous. This, does however, sometimes wear off with time and experience.

Theres a Thai women who owns a few houses up the top of soi 80 in hua hin and she often sits out the front opposite some bars and she quite often gets given money by tourists thinking they have done their good dead for the day, well she certainly has more deeds than most of the tourists !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1