Insurance Agent

Insurance Co. Manager

Landlord

Owned a construction company

Owned a motor vehicle part reconditioning company

Owned a Franchise with Royal Mail 

Surveyor

Manager of a Social Housing department

Owned and ran an Export/Import company ( still in operation today)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess going from one career to another is more common nowadays,i remember my parents generation stayed in their jobs 25 years or more back in those days.

I think 48 is too young to retire though

Didnt swy I retired, just I came here at 48, I will never "retire" in the conventional sense.

Talking of long careers in the same place, both my brothers, joined theirs at 16 and stayed there 50 yrs ! that would drive me insane  ! ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stigar said:

U been working in factory first..after that i was a car electrician.And later as a fisherman..so on a cruiseship..The last 23 years i worked as a offshore seaman.All over the world.Worked in singapore..india..malaysia..indonesia and many other countries.In 2015 a get a bad accident at sea.Get 3,3 ton over my left foot.Stucked 17 minutes.Career was over.Anyway i get good taking care of incurance and my goverment,Get many million from incurance and i have a pension about 5000 pound a month.From 1st march nect year i will get about 1100 pound more a month.I really miss my work.I also work as a teacher for the thaipeople who cant speak english in my country.I speak thai wery well so i learning them to speak norwegian.

23 years seaman ................would drive me crazy stuck on a boat all the time away for weeks at a time 

19 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I was a science teacher for 28 years.

Funny you say that, i met 2 teachers separate occassions in a bar in jomtien back in july 2018,both coicidencelly were from Melbourne and Sydney Australia ,one was 57 and the other 60,both retired medically unfit due to stress,dont know why considering they only work 6 hours a day monday to friday 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

To those of us mature aged eg over 60,or expats,what was your past job and how long did you remain there?

Most people in our GEN remained in a job 30 plus years unlike nowadays

Aircraft engineer, apprenticed with British Aerospace [formerly British Aircraft Corporation] age 16-49 33 years total 1976-2009

Arrived Thailand 2009 to present date 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Artist in burnt clay  (bricklayer) for 44 yrs,  love it that much I'm going back UK in January to dig my rusty trowel out my tool bag and start earning a grand week ...

My highest paying job was 6 months in Iraq for BP..900 GBP/day. Safety co-ordinator...where did the money go?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Im surprise how many different occupations people have done. I am also surprise that their are no SAS, MI5 and airline pilots like many have told me.

I did 12 years in the military then 20 odd years as a civvy working for the MoD, my time with the Army was interesting & varied, I was on on a mobile display team back in the 70's going from one summer fair to another, basically showcasing the military to the general public, spent about 5 years in Germany, and a similar amount of time as a No.2 with bomb disposal.

• Like 2

Worked for a Federal Agency 32 years.  Last 11 of those 32 years in management for that agency.  
I retired at age 62 I’m 66 now.  I was going to wait to retire at age 66.  I would have gotten more money from Social Security per month.  But if you averaged it out.  It wasn’t worth it.  So I get Social Security and a separate pension  each month from the agency I worked for.  And was allowed to keep my health plan at a good cost per month.  The plan covers  me internationally. Also I had  a government type 401k plan which I  reinvested into a private retirement plan. 
I’m happy I retired.  I was tired of working many times  12 hours or more each day with heavy pressure from upper management.  Even though I was compensated monetarily for the extra time. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

SAS (Super Army Soldier) but don't like to talk about it. Also, 'top boy' with the hardest football firm in Britain. Again, don't like to talk about it.

ICF ICF, remember tham getting legged by Everton down Scotland road in the 80's, see Cass's book...

• Haha 1