Female Thai Student Assaulted, Robbed in US

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I was talking about the crime rate not the murder rate.

Doesn't change much just looking at overall crime.

Only notable difference is that DC creeps in. Otherwise the same usual suspects and not a one of them bleeding liberal States!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/crime-rate-by-state

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So you know how many thousands of small Asian woman rode the NYC subway system today? Yesterday ? Etc?  How many were involved in VIOLENT crime?  My guess zero. Anyways I'm about to land at JFK and take the train to Manhatten with I bet some small Asian woman. I think we will all get home nice and safe. This is why even the small petty crimes are even mentioned in the NYC news because they are pretty rare as well. If there are a few phone thefts or other petty crime at even one station in a short period of time you will hear about warnings. 

Rare, really you better look again.  I have many colleagues who are still Transit police and NYPD officers.  So much crime happening and they can only do so much. 1984 saw a vigilante shooting, and since then many more shootings on the subway happen

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/subway-riders-say-more-needs-to-be-done-to-keep-passengers-safe-after-2-men-shot-aboard-2-train-in-harlem/ar-AARsJUQ

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly.  My view is they are just trying to stir the pot up.

Yes, agreed. I saw it on the Thai TV news last evening. There it showed that the bag snatch (couldn't quite make out if that is what it was) on the platform where she appeared to be the only person there...at least, much separated from others (who might have been further along the platform). This morning, local neighbours were talking about it. The student didn't appear to be injured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Why is that even mentioned here as a news item? Except, perhaps, to blame New Yorkers...

We never read here about female students of other nationalities in similar situations.

Er...she is Thai and this is Thailand, that's why. 

Is there something wrong with "blaming New Yorkers" if they beat up, molest and rob others even though, in this case, no one did blame a New Yorker for the assault?   

It is, of course, well known that every "New Yorker" is the salt of the earth and the very safe city has the lowest crime rate in the world that is decreasing even more, every day!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Women should be free to go where they want, when they want, and wear what they want.

However, common sense might also suggest that an NYC subway platform at 4 am is not the best place to be for a young woman in a short skirt.  

Yes, of course, entirely her fault...sigh

2 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Joggers strike again.

You might think you're being funny, but lets not forget the case you refer to involved a race hate crime where an innocent man was murdered because of the bigotry of those who assumed his skin colour made him a criminal.

• Like 1

Women should be free to go where they want, when they want, and wear what they want.

However, common sense might also suggest that an NYC subway platform at 4 am is not the best place to be for a young woman in a short skirt.  

Where was it reported that this happened at 4am and that she was wearing a short skirt?

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This item appears to be behind a paywall.

No it isn't.

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

We never read here about female students of other nationalities in similar situations.

Maybe, just maybe, that's the problem.

Oh, so she was 'asking for it' then? If she was an older woman, it would all be fine? BTW, where's this 'short skirt' you talk of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

New York City is one of the safest cities in America for violent crime and is the # 12th safest city in the world.

Doubtful Bangkok or wherever the Thai student is from is safer than NYC, per capita.

That being said, when I lived in NYC, my roommates girlfriend got a trash dumpster shoved at her when someone tried to sexually assault her just a couple blocks away from our house (Queens) in broad daylight on a Sunday afternoon.  I'm a 200# 6'4" man, not an 85 pound female, so personally never had a problem, walked everywhere in Manhattan, but not so much in Queens, especially at night.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/09/18/worlds-safest-cities-travel-nyc/?_gl=1*1nl2l2m*_ga*bFlibGs0UzVqdHE4RFc5MTRIZllIekkxQkU4TGcwWUd5TFl2T3lmQXlMLVhBUEM5TjVNN3hmMV82RDRyMjhUcw..

Both Queens and have it's good neighborhoods and it's bad . Big difference between Bayside and Jamaica. Manhattan has it's lower than 96th st side, and I am sure there are sections on Bangkok one might want to stay away at night , though I dont know.  The subway is a conduit for petty crime as it gives some of these  lower income/higher crime neighborhoods easy access to where the easy pickings are.

As I am sure you know 

Where in Queens are you from? I grew up in Whitestone and went to Bayside High. 

I was there a few years ago and could not recognize the place , Main street in Flushing was Asia town. 

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I'm discussing violent  crime everyday on subway only. An increase has nothing to do with EVERYDAY violent crime on subways. Man!! It's increasing from a low level. So what. Many articles I know just talk about October. Just like this one. My quote was from a very similar article. Violent crime everyday on the NYC subway system is still rare. Stealing a cell phone is hardly violent. These stories get headlines because they don't happen everyday. If it's just a little violent you will even see it in the daily news. Because it's rare. You are def not in NYC a lot. 

Dated October 19 2021 from a leading New York news source:- 

"NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- NYPD's new crime statistics show an alarming jump in violence in New York City's subway system, and robberies are fueling that trend" 

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

One of the Twitter replies from the above link:

Woman should not be walking or traveling alone that late in the first place. And isant there supposed to be cops in the station? Why didnt they hear her scream?

Police usually ride the trains and there are  not enough to have them at every station especially at 4 am in the morning. If you see the video (its on Twitter)  there's no other persons in the station but the attacker and the girl. It should'nt make a difference but the vid shows she has on a long coat but her skirt is super short even for here in Thailand.

Edited by Tony125

4 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Exactly. I have daughter that lives in  NYC. She would never think to be in a subway station, traveling alone, late night/early morning. Big cities have lots of crime, especially at those hours. Common sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I'm discussing violent  crime everyday on subway only. An increase has nothing to do with EVERYDAY violent crime on subways. Man!! It's increasing from a low level. So what. Many articles I know just talk about October. Just like this one. My quote was from a very similar article. Violent crime everyday on the NYC subway system is still rare. Stealing a cell phone is hardly violent. These stories get headlines because they don't happen everyday. If it's just a little violent you will even see it in the daily news. Because it's rare. You are def not in NYC a lot. 

Please , I have visited  NYC from Boston,MA many times in my life. On one of my first trips with a GF we got lost driving and ended up in the Bronx. Got stopped by NYC Police who saw we looked lost and told us take that bridge entrance and get the hell out of this area.  Been walking alone in Times Square area  when 2  Afro Americans said "he's got money lets get him yeh he's ready to run" I put  down my luggage motioned to them "come on" they walked away.  Seen guys shooting drugs in daytime on the street in Harlem and lets not forget all the movies such as Death Wish (based on true story)and others showing crime in NYC. Just type in Thai girl assauleted on NYC subway on youtube and see what pops up. Many NY crime reports.

Says crime in subways up 800%

• Like 2

I have the WABC Eyewitness News App on my phone.  It appears that there is an attorney now involved.  The attorney is basically saying not enough is being done.  And the police are not moving fast enough.

How fast are they expected to make an arrest?  There are so many people in NYC that they just cant find the guy instantly.  Plus there are so many different cases the police are working on.

I feel bad for the victim.  But its a very big city to find criminal.

Edited by swm59nj

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here you go since you say I like links.  Many more to be found if you do some looking around.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/new-yorkers-ask-is-today-the-day-someone-attacks-me-on-subway/

Anyone who rides the subway these days has these dreadful thoughts: Will today be the day I’m attacked? Will this be the day I’m shoved off the platform into an oncoming train?

And: Where the hell is our mayor?

At 8.30 am on Thursday, a 40-year-old woman was shoved on to the tracks at the northbound 4/5/6 platform at Union Square. Her attacker had been pacing the platform, parts of which are frighteningly narrow, before seeing the 5 train approach and pushing her, from behind, into its path.

She was reported as “lucky” to have survived with minor injuries. I see it another way: She had the presence of mind to roll into the hollow between the two tracks and not move until the FDNY arrived — stuck underneath two cars.

How terrifying.

How predictable.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2021/05/man-stabbed-with-ice-pick-on-new-york-subway-after-attacker-calls-him-a-ft/

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-transit-chief-subway-assaults-rise-article-1.2368600

Happy trails, and stay safe.

Sorry but not everyday events. 

• Like 1