Nine Omicron cases confirmed in Thailand to date, five others await confirmation

snoop1130

000_1PD64D.jpeg

Photo by Handout / US Food and Drug Administration / AFP

One more Omicron variant case has been confirmed in Thailand, bringing total confirmed cases to date to nine, plus five potential cases still awaiting confirmation by means of whole genome sequencing (WGS) tests, according to Director-General of the Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak.

As all the cases involve foreign arrivals which is normal for countries first experiencing the Omicron variant, he predicted that the first locally acquired case will inevitably emerge.

He added, however, that Thai people should not panic, assuring them that the new variant will be contained quickly.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nine-confirmed-covid-19-omicron-cases-in-thailand-to-date/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm about as far away from being a conspiracy theorist, anti vaxxer or Covid denier as you can get and I agree with some restrictions but we cannot continue like this forever. As has been said a thousand times, we have to learn to live with the virus - there will be more variants and more waves.

I wouldn't advocate stricter measures - after nearly 2 years most country's economies are reeling.  I would however be for stricter enforcement of the basic measures that are in place. I can't speak for Thailand but in the UK, a lot of people are now ignoring mask wearing etc. They are rarely prosecuted and are often 'serial' offenders.  People say its restriction weariness, I don't see the problem - if wearing a mask and keeping my distance for a few more months or even years will keep me Covid free, I don't have a problem.

I heard a woman talking today (the UK gov are advising not to have get togethers etc. over Christmas if possible - only advising mind), she was saying, I don't care, I'm having my mother over for Christmas and that's that. I only just resisted saying 'yeah, and it could be your mother's last Christmas. There's a strong case for being sensible but somebody needs to enforce it.

Closing the borders would be a waste of time - as we have seen here, Omicron will get in and when it does it goes crazy.

One of the problems with Thailand is that the healthcare system will get overwhelmed very quickly if the don't stop putting people with few, if any symptoms in hospital. A friend's mum was hauled off at the end of last week - positive PCR but the tiniest of cold like symptoms. My friend and her daughter had only just arrived  in Thailand after over 2 years.  Mother is in hospital, daughter and grandaughter have to isolate for, I believe, 10 days and should one of them sneeze, the'll be hauled off too. I really don't see the sense in hospitalising people with very mild cases of the disease.

I agree with what you say and I don't believe WHO are stating anything other than enforcing the basic measures, ie vaccinations etc, they are certainly not advocating travel bans.

The UK will be a good test bed with reliable data coming out on how they cope with Omicron cases and the level of hospitalizations. I hope that the immune wall they have built up will hold well and provide the protection needed. 

We all have pandemic fatigue including me but my current opinion on this being that after nearly two years of this we can wait just a few more weeks to see if this really is milder than Delta, if it is then thats very good news and yes we should just get on with life.

• Like 1

“He added, however, that Thai people should not panic, assuring them that the new variant will be contained quickly.”

on what basis can he give this assurance? Happy to hear it if it’s true, but I don’t see a huge rush to take action to make it a reality. Boosters for instance? 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As all the cases involve foreign arrivals which is normal for countries first experiencing the Omicron variant, he predicted that the first locally acquired case will inevitably emerge.

Only if someone slips past the border controls.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I agree with what you say and I don't believe WHO are stating anything other than enforcing the basic measures, ie vaccinations etc, they are certainly not advocating travel bans.

The UK will be a good test bed with reliable data coming out on how they cope with Omicron cases and the level of hospitalizations. I hope that the immune wall they have built up will hold well and provide the protection needed. 

We all have pandemic fatigue including me but my current opinion on this being that after nearly two years of this we can wait just a few more weeks to see if this really is milder than Delta, if it is then thats very good news and yes we should just get on with life.

It's pretty simple - we need to see how bad this is and restrictions need to be in place before we just let this thing rip.  

I don't see it being that bad but who the hell am I, a doctor?  No.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

He added, however, that Thai people should not panic, assuring them that the new variant will be contained quickly.

That is absolute rubbish!

Thailand will not be able to contain it.

It will take over as the dominant variant here in a matter of weeks

And that is great news!!!

We need this variant to take over.

Not going to go into why.........enough evidence online

I wouldn't worry about the official word - this variant will take over.  It is 8x more transmissible than delta.  There is no stopping it unless yo live in a bubble.